Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Congrats Gambaosaka1! I'm still waiting to hear from them - it's a great school! Who do you want to work with there?

Hey thanks! Cemil Aydin...had an interview with him last month which convinced me this was the place I would like to study most. He is the only one who knows my research area well.

He emailed to say I was nominated for admission so more accurate to say that than "I'm in"! I was just so excited. He said the official/final decision is to come out next week. Fingers crossed nobody vetoes me!

What is your area? Good luck with them.

Hello y'all, congrats to all the admits and best wishes to the yet-to-be! 

I have a situation here and hope to gain some insights from you. I got into a Ph.D program with five years funding + etc and a substantially funded MA program from an institution, in which, according to the faculty, would give me a great chance to continue my doctoral degree. The two schools are both top-notch, but I have been dreaming of getting trained under the faculty at the latter. what should I choose?   

If it were me, all other things equal, I'd go for the Ph.D . You're guaranteed the five years of funding no matter what. If you enter the masters program and something happens that throws you off track (gods forbid!) they might not be as loyal. Plus, even if you do everything right, if politics beyond your control happen and they can't keep you on, you might be in a good position for admission elsewhere, but it seems like unnecessary stress :( . Finally, if the institutions are anywhere near each other, you might be able to get the faculty at the latter school to help advise you and/or take their classes for credit at your institution. 

Ultimately, you gotta do you though. If that facultyperson is worth the risk, go for it!

I got into UNC!!!

Nominated for admission...only thing might be that I am an international student so there is a tiny chance of there being an issue but he doubts it!

So excited

Congrats! It's a great school. I did my MA there, pm me if you have any questions.

Congrats! It's a great school. I did my MA there, pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks! I hope the Dean's office signature or whatever is just a formality.

Too excited to think of anything right now but shall PM you soon. Thanks for offering.

Where are you applying to?

Do you guys think Columbia has already sent out all its admits tonight?  I'm bummed I didn't get one... :-(

Didn't get anything either. Just saw there were three acceptances sent out today.  Guessing I will receive my rejection email by Friday.

Congrats to those that got in :)

Edited by Gambaosaka1

Thanks! I hope the Dean's office signature or whatever is just a formality.

Too excited to think of anything right now but shall PM you soon. Thanks for offering.

Where are you applying to?

No problem. Princeton rejection was the first thing I heard back, waiting on Harvard, Penn, Toronto, and Georgetown at this point.

Harvard and UPenn need to chop chop!

I think Harvard was closed due to snow yesterday. With Boston weather as bad as it's been this year we may still have a while to wait.

Guys... it is starting to look like I am not getting in anywhere... maybe I should start trolling around usajobs for a Park Ranger position?

Congrats Chiqui and all the other recent admits! Here's to more good news on this hump day!!

I certainly hope not Chiqui, as I haven't gotten anything for a few of my schools where my status hasn't changed.  Maybe it just means waitlisting. 

We're in the same boat since we have so much overlap. I'm hoping we get a bunch of notifications at the end of this week. I'm sort of assuming both Duke and UNC are off the board for me, since I haven't heard anything from either. I'm waiting for Indiana to announce something. I just want to know!