Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Congratulations to all the acceptances! I'm feeling pretty down--officially rejected from one of my five schools, three others have posted acceptances and CUNY posted two interviews. So I think I'm 0/5 two years in a row. Part of my problem is that I am location constrained so I probably only 1-2 of the 5 were really good fits. Any thoughts on contacting POIs where I haven't received official rejections yet?

If you've any updates to share about your CV/qualifications, that can be a way to communicate with them indirectly. I think it'd probably be better to let them be, but I can't imagine they'd reject you on the grounds of asking about your status with the school. Being constrained based on location is really hard, so don't be too down on yourself if it turns out that way. 

Would love to know the breakdown by fields. US especially.

US is always our biggest field. It took 5 admits this year.

Other fields - Africa (1), Britain (1), EME (2), East Asia (3 - all China this year), History of Science (2), Jewish (1), Latin America (1), Middle East/Central Asia (2), Medieval Europe (1), Modern Europe (2), Russia/E. Europe (2), Transnational/International/Global (1).

Also, update to other people waiting to hear from (U)Penn: apparently the grad committee has yet to sit down and make the final decisions. So hang tight, it might be tomorrow but more likely next week.

Edited by mvlchicago

ill share my email:

I am sorry to inform you that we cannot recommend your admission to the graduate program in history. We have given your application close and careful consideration. Our decision is based on a full assessment of the evidence presented to us. We received nearly 150 applications for 10 places in our incoming class, and the department is unable to offer admission to every qualified candidate.

Despite the unhappy news this letter brings, my colleagues and I wish you the very best and thank you for your interest in Indiana University.

If you have any questions concerning your application, please email us at histadm@indiana.edu.

Yours sincerely,

John H. Hanson

Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies

JHH/ch

I've never gotten the whole nice-rejection-vs-cold-rejection distinction. How is it supposed to sound? It's a rejection.

The Indiana letter is cordial and to the point. As long as it's not calling the addressee stupid or unqualified, or bragging about the profile of the admitted class, or something like that, it's fine in my book.

Speaking of rejections, a wild UChicago rejection appears on the results page! I wonder if it was solicited or an automatic thing. I hope the latter; I'd like to get my result soon, even if it's a rejection.

FYI to Minnesota applicants--my application decision is finally up on the ApplyYourself website, so if you're still in limbo you may want to check the site.

Mine still says "Awaiting Program Decision"

If you've any updates to share about your CV/qualifications, that can be a way to communicate with them indirectly. I think it'd probably be better to let them be, but I can't imagine they'd reject you on the grounds of asking about your status with the school. Being constrained based on location is really hard, so don't be too down on yourself if it turns out that way. 

Thanks mvlchicago.

I'm thinking of contacting about funding options.  The positive aspect of being location constrained due to my spouse's job is that we would be able to make do without a stipend.  Not ideal, but doable (this is me in my crisis of being rejected and giving up on my dream).  Anyone hear of a PhD being funded tuition-wise without the stipend?  Does that make a big difference to the department?

I think the Notre Dame rejection letter was the worst. Their use of the word "pleased" in the first sentence made me think it was an acceptance until I read on.

We were pleased to consider your application for graduate studies at the University of Notre Dame.

We are sorry to report that we are unable to admit you at this time. This decision should not be viewed as an evaluation of your acceptability as a graduate student, but rather as an indication of the degree of competition in your department.

Trusting that you will find satisfactory placement at another school of your choice, we wish you success in your future academic work. Thank you for your interest in the graduate programs of the University of Notre Dame. 

@Josh J. 

That was my first thought when I was writing my SOP!!

Also, I havent heard anything from IU. :unsure:  Unless, of course, they sent a physical letter. I need to check my mailbox

I think the Notre Dame rejection letter was the worst. Their use of the word "pleased" in the first sentence made me think it was an acceptance until I read on.

We were pleased to consider your application for graduate studies at the University of Notre Dame.

We are sorry to report that we are unable to admit you at this time. This decision should not be viewed as an evaluation of your acceptability as a graduate student, but rather as an indication of the degree of competition in your department.Trusting that you will find satisfactory placement at another school of your choice, we wish you success in your future academic work. Thank you for your interest in the graduate programs of the University of Notre Dame. 

This is hypothermic cold! I'm so sorry

We are sorry to report that we are unable to admit you at this time. This decision should not be viewed as an evaluation of your acceptability as a graduate student, but rather as an indication of the degree of competition in your department.

Trusting that you will find satisfactory placement at another school of your choice, we wish you success in your future academic work. Thank you for your interest in the graduate programs of the University of Notre Dame. 

When I applied to ND two years ago, they didn't send out rejections until late March. Part of the reason why I didn't apply again this time around. Also, you know, South Bend, ew.

When I applied to ND two years ago, they didn't send out rejections until late March. Part of the reason why I didn't apply again this time around. Also, you know, South Bend, ew.

I found wings for 25 cents a piece there while around South Bend a few years ago. That's a reason to apply to Ph.D programs, right?