Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Hey Josh,

While I am not overly familiar with the department at Baylor, I can say that the faculty I have met there are extremely generous in their mentorship. Jeff Hamilton, who was the chair of the department until this year, is very kind and helpful. He stepped in on my thesis committee as an outside reader when I didn't have someone at my own university who could evaluate my argument.

Waco is an odd place, and aspects of the Baylor experience may or may not be your cup of tea, but the history people, at least, seem pretty cool.

Good luck with your interview!

Hey Josh,

While I am not overly familiar with the department at Baylor, I can say that the faculty I have met there are extremely generous in their mentorship. Jeff Hamilton, who was the chair of the department until this year, is very kind and helpful. He stepped in on my thesis committee as an outside reader when I didn't have someone at my own university who could evaluate my argument.

Waco is an odd place, and aspects of the Baylor experience may or may not be your cup of tea, but the history people, at least, seem pretty cool.

Good luck with your interview!

Sounds like a great place to study. Good Luck!

Gambaosaka -- thanks! I'm still pretty nervous about IU and Madison. I'm withdrawing applications to 2 programs (and have declined Abany), but the rest are all still strong contenders in my estimation. Wasn't UNC your tippy top choice? Rejection sucks, but I'm glad you have a choice already!

The Stanford comments are hilarious, but I tend to like funny comments ("shouldn't have sent all those nude photos") over the angry ones.

TMP that rejection letter is painful. There is no reason for them to phrase it so douchey (and this is coming from someone who holds IU in high esteem!)

Looks like Friday was a slow day other than Stanford. Does anyone think any programs will notify this weekend? What're your guesses for next programs to "pull the trigger" (as telkanuru so elegantly put it)?

ashiepoo: I was really interested in going there but after the interview with my POI there, I am convinced it is the perfect fit. Now that I got in there, I don't mind getting rejected everywhere else! Having said all that, I spent a lot of time and money on those applications so shall wait till they all come out and have a decision to make would be nice. 

With your results so far looks like you will probably get into both of those as well. Bloomington is a great place, good luck! You have some interesting decisions to make in April. 

Edited by Gambaosaka1

Thanks, I appreciate the confidence :) I'm stoked about the programs I've gotten into, but I know how you feel. We all invested a lot of time, effort and ourselves into applying to these programs, so it's natural to want to wait it out to see where the cards fall. It's awesome you had such a good experience with your POI at UNC. That place is stellar! Are you visiting the campus?

ashiepoo: Would love to but it will be tough heading over there from here. It was a bit weird hearing the great news of getting in on the same day as a the tragic shootings there. Have you been there? Was just doing some reading on living there etc. right now.

ashiepoo: Would love to but it will be tough heading over there from here. It was a bit weird hearing the great news of getting in on the same day as a the tragic shootings there. Have you been there? Was just doing some reading on living there etc. right now.

Gambaosaka, I haven't been but may have some details for you! (UNC and Duke were both really high on my list, but POIs at both said that my project wouldn't be a great fit. Actually, one 'couldn't imagine a better fit' than Northwestern. Sad face.) 

According to a grad school buddy who lives in the area, it's a pretty fantastic place to be. Great food, music and bourbon (important factors) and a really easy going vibe influenced by the wealth of colonial towns.

I'm basing this entirely on one brief exchange, but it certainly sounds like an excellent backdrop to the next five years. Can anyone confirm?

Gambaosaka: Chapel Hill is a fantastic place. I've visited several times for research and many more to see friends. In addition the department at UNC has a fantastic working relationship with the one at Duke which expands the pool of mentors and potential committee members.

Gambaosaka, I haven't been but may have some details for you! (UNC and Duke were both really high on my list, but POIs at both said that my project wouldn't be a great fit. Actually, one 'couldn't imagine a better fit' than Northwestern. Sad face.) 

According to a grad school buddy who lives in the area, it's a pretty fantastic place to be. Great food, music and bourbon (important factors) and a really easy going vibe influenced by the wealth of colonial towns.

I'm basing this entirely on one brief exchange, but it certainly sounds like an excellent backdrop to the next five years. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks! Shame about Northwestern...I'm sure you'll get some acceptances from the others soon. What's your top choice among the rest?

Gambaosaka: Chapel Hill is a fantastic place. I've visited several times for research and many more to see friends. In addition the department at UNC has a fantastic working relationship with the one at Duke which expands the pool of mentors and potential committee members.

Cheers! Yeah, the relationship with Duke sounds really interesting. Looking forward to exploring that opportunity. Really hope you get your acceptance next week. Would be brilliant.

Thanks! Shame about Northwestern...I'm sure you'll get some acceptances from the others soon. What's your top choice among the rest?

Fingers tightly crossed, but since USC has apparently finished notifying about acceptances and we've seen a few UVA admits, I'm trying to "manage my expectations." God I hate business-speak. 

From an academic point of view, I'd be thrilled with a funded offer from any of them. Each program and POI offers an opportunity to take my proposed project in a slightly different direction, which really excites me. In terms of schools and campuses, I would be facing the same problem as you, having never visited the cities (or states) in which they're located. 

I know there was some discussion earlier of the extent to which location factored into people's decisions, but just curious how many are considering a move from a big city to a smaller university town, or vice versa?

Leaving London behind is going to be weird, but it's definitely something I'm ready to do regardless of acceptances. Culturally, living here is really different from studying here, when you're surrounded by fellow expats. It will be curious to see if/how that compares at an American institution. At the very least, it'll be nice to watch hockey in a bar again! :)

As someone who grew up and went to college in California, moving anywhere but within the state is going to be a huge change. I applied to mostly Midwest states and a few in NY because I personally care less about location than about programs that can take my project and help make it viable and exciting.

I get a lot of comments like "it's so cold out there" and "how can you think of leaving California?" People assume I'll be miserable anywhere but here. The thing is, people are great at being miserable anywhere they happen to be. Plenty of people in the Bay Area (the best part of CA in my humble opinion) are unhappy and unfulfilled. I get to do something that is so meaningful to me, who cares where I am when I'm doing it? At least that's what I feel.

Another pro about moving away from home is less distractions. I'm looking forward to not having my family and friends distracting me while I complete this crucial step in my career. I don't know about you guys, but I get a ton of pressure from friends to "do normal things" like go out drinking and date around, etc. They don't realize that their constant harangues about my lifestyle add stress to my plate. Being somewhere among like-minded people will be a huge relief. I also get a lot of pressure from certain unsavory characters in my family that make life a lot harder, and although I'll miss my close friends and family, I think the distance will do wonderful things for us. In this day and age, I can skype with people daily, chat on the phone or text, send old-fashioned letters and visit a few times a year in person.

Some people WILL be miserable in certain climates and areas, so they should carefully choose programs with that in mind. But it can be exciting moving somewhere totally new. The one friend whose been positive throughout this while process told me she thinks I'll love the midwest, that the distinct seasons can be beautiful, that sitting in a coffee shop when it's actually cold out is amazing. I think her attitude is the perfect thing to bring to a new place. You'll find new fun things to do, meet new interesting people, if you go with an open mind. Anyway, my daughter's goal is to build an Olaf every day (anyone who saw Frozen knows what I'm talking about). I'm doing my best to deliver haha

How did you find out this was how I chose potential doctoral programs?????  :ph34r:

Not to try to sway your decision, but when I was in Bloomington for SWSEEL a couple of summers ago, they put on a great beer-tasting/short film festival at one of the parks in town...