Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

•  

Probably the hardest decision was leaving my dog with my mom while I was at IU, but we were both better for it. I was gone nearly all of the time with my GAship, classes, doing work at various locations, and generally hanging with my cohort. 

You really have to think what's best for you and your pup. 

I understand completely! On top of not having enough time to spend with my doggie, I'm concerned about the cold weather because shes a very pampered dog (won't go outside if it rains or if the grass is wet [how will she react to snow!]), and when I leave town for business/pleasure who will take care of her. You're right. I have to do whats best for the both of us 

I emailed my profs asking for the reading lists so I can buy the books. I get books used online so sometimes it takes awhile for them to arrive. Other than that I've been catching up on newsmagazines and rereading books I won't have a chance to read when I'm knee-deep in the PhD program. I'm working on Isabel Hull's Absolute Destruction now, then on to Walter Johnson's Soul by Soul and William Cronon's Nature's Metropolis, my 3 favorite books.

Funny you mentioned Cronon's Nature's Metropolis today! I was going through my personal library and I saw that exact book. I thought to myself .. "I haven't seen you since I took Dr. Louis Warren's Environmental History class two years ago." Then I proceeded to read bits and pieces, completely forgetting that I was supposed to be packing. 

Im also finishing up Robert Darnton's The Great Cat Massacre as a fun read. 

Oh! Tomorrow the new Dr Suess book is coming out!

I gift Cronon to everyone and have yet to receive a complaint. That man is my hero. I mean...who else could bring tears to my eyes while describing the journey of a sack of grain?

So it turns out that a lot of very important and time-sensitive emails from my new program ended up in my spam folder. I only found this out because the department administrator called me wondering if she had the right email address for me on file, since I hadn't responded to anything in weeks. Whoops. 

@Klonoa:

I just got a list of books for the mandatory methods course. Will be taking a look at it once it arrives and possibly read parts of it. Otherwise I ce been rereading fundamental primary sources for my discipline and books by department's profs.

From my MA experience it s awesome useful to read in advance if you know for sure that you ll take a course and have the syllabus with the req pages.

I emailed my profs asking for the reading lists so I can buy the books. I get books used online so sometimes it takes awhile for them to arrive. Other than that I've been catching up on newsmagazines and rereading books I won't have a chance to read when I'm knee-deep in the PhD program. I'm working on Isabel Hull's Absolute Destruction now, then on to Walter Johnson's Soul by Soul and William Cronon's Nature's Metropolis, my 3 favorite books.

Walter Johnson is teaching the fundamentals course for incoming PhDs this year. I am so excited! I'm not a U.S. historian, so I'm super excited about a chance to work with him a bit.

Good job, Heimat! Hope your move went smoothly. My roommates are moving out this weekend and they are taking all of the furniture with them, so I'm going to be having an exciting couple of days of cleaning and estate-sale hopping.

Our stuff finally arrived in New York last Tuesday after a month and a half!  We are still unpacking.  We didn't bring furniture with us, we sold or donated everything, so we've had to buy all the furniture again....and build it. I have been to Ikea more in the last month or so than in my entire life put together, and we are still possibly not done.  We got a good size apartment for local standards but it has no storage, which makes it difficult to unpack fully until all the furniture is built.

I'm so looking forward to being fully settled in, and I'm already dreading having to move again at some point.

Finally,  everything for me is coming together! Got my visa and my accommodation sorted out.

Flying into the US on the 7th and my brother will drive me down on the 11th. Looks like there are orientations for me on the 13 and 14th.

Have any of you got reading assignments already? Have to do some work for the 17th for a TA workshop and a book to read for the 24th (first day of class) for a class! No easing into a PhD I guess.

I have a TA orientation thing to do online as a prequel to the in-person orientation, but I'm not even going to worry about that until I finish packing and move my belongings to Davis! I'm waiting on reading lists for classes, but luckily the quarter doesn't start until late September. That's going to be an adjustment--I've been on semesters for the last 3 years and have to admit I like the longer terms. Quarters are over so quickly...

I just wanna say that I like how our cohort is keeping tabs in this thread, and I hope we continue to do so...doesn't seem like previous years did the same. I feel like we bonded through all the "fun" we had applying, tearing our hair out while waiting, and picking programs :)

I just wanna say that I like how our cohort is keeping tabs in this thread, and I hope we continue to do so...doesn't seem like previous years did the same. I feel like we bonded through all the "fun" we had applying, tearing our hair out while waiting, and picking programs :)

I agree Ashiepoo!  I definitely hope we all keep in touch.  I have orientation from the 19-21 and I can't wait. Tomorrow I'm heading to campus to get my id card and get "official"

No TA orientation for me, but I have GSAS on the 24th, then maybe department welcome/orientation at some point but I'm not sure.  The semester starts the first week of September, which is later than I am used to, but it's OK, more time for me to settle in.

I gift Cronon to everyone and have yet to receive a complaint. That man is my hero. I mean...who else could bring tears to my eyes while describing the journey of a sack of grain?

That awkward moment when you have a whole conversation with a professor at recruitment weekend and have no clue who he is.  That's what I get for being a medievalist, I guess.  Super nice guy though!