Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Congrats Heimat and KBHistorian!!

Telkanuru, that's definitely infuriating - but if that came from the professor I *think* it did (and my info could be way off), he genuinely would care about a) making that mistake in the first place and B) offending anyone. (And even if it's not the person I have in mind, isn't it nice to remember that there are loads of great faculty members out there who do care? After all, they're the ones so many of us hope to work with!)

So, what happens after one accepts an offer of admission? I ASSume I will hear from the department of school later in the spring/summer about registration, financial arrangements for payment of funding,  and otherwise officially becoming a student but I'm not sure.

Yeah, they eventually contact you. So far, I haven't received anything from the department. However, UChicago already sent me a link to create my user ID (to access their websites and library) and I created my university email account.

So, what happens after one accepts an offer of admission? I ASSume I will hear from the department of school later in the spring/summer about registration, financial arrangements for payment of funding,  and otherwise officially becoming a student but I'm not sure.

Yeah I think in my case they said they'd be sending out all of that nitty gritty stuff around mid-late April. Could be different in other places though.

Illinois is really good at communication. Right after I electronically accepted my offer, I got a bunch of email to set up all my new system access. I've been in touch with my adviser to discuss fall classes. We're still working on that, since I'm shifting my area of focus from Atlantic world to more world world. The last two semesters, I've been doing a lot of work on legal plurality and empire and I'm drifting towards the Pacific.

Anyone here speak Dutch?

Thanks everyone for the congrats! Now I have to work on finding an apartment

Congrats KB! We will be uni neighbors. Probably see you at a lecture in the area.

Oh awesome! Are you from the area or moving there as well?

Thanks everyone for the congrats! Now I have to work on finding an apartment

Oh awesome! Are you from the area or moving there as well?

I'm from the UK, but moving to Chapel Hill this fall (as long as I get my bloody visa)!

I know there are strong links and cooperation between NCSU/Duke/UNC. One of the research institutes is at looking was a joint-venture between the three: http://carolinaasiacenter.unc.edu/triangle-center-for-japanese-studies/

Regardless, hope the apartment hunting goes well! I haven't started looking yet at all myself. Thinking of getting a graduate apartment on campus possibly.

Edited by Gambaosaka1

I know for sure my anxiety is through the roof because I made a ton of lasagna (like, I could host a department dinner) and baked a bunch of bread yesterday. It's that moment you realize just because you got into a PhD program it doesn't mean your MA exam has been cancelled and, oh crap, you're wayyy behind in coursework.

How are the rest of you holding up?

We are trying to get our house into selling condition (mostly declutter for presentation) before listing it, my husband is job hunting, etc.  We wan to move in mid June or so.

Just got into CEU with a partial fellowship, which is nice. Still waiting on Oxford.

I sent them an email over a week ago asking when I might expect my result and they still haven't responded. I know they've already rejected a bunch of people and I know they've responded to other people's questions, so I have no idea why they're ignoring me.

I know for sure my anxiety is through the roof because I made a ton of lasagna (like, I could host a department dinner) and baked a bunch of bread yesterday. It's that moment you realize just because you got into a PhD program it doesn't mean your MA exam has been cancelled and, oh crap, you're wayyy behind in coursework.

How are the rest of you holding up?

Thankfully, my exams are behind me. I've been spending spring break dutifully coding Virginia manumission court cases for my thesis, which really should be done by now. I feel like the last semester of my senior year in high school - I already know where I'm going in the fall, can I please to be done with the rest of this stuff now?

im now figuring out my travel plan (my parents are also gonna help me move lol), visa preparation, health clearance, transportation of my car Hawaii etc, Im hopin that I can figure this out by the end of May  

Thankfully, my exams are behind me. I've been spending spring break dutifully coding Virginia manumission court cases for my thesis, which really should be done by now. I feel like the last semester of my senior year in high school - I already know where I'm going in the fall, can I please to be done with the rest of this stuff now?

I know exactly how you feel! I'm ready to put this job behind me and move on to bigger and better things. 

im now figuring out my travel plan (my parents are also gonna help me move lol), visa preparation, health clearance, transportation of my car Hawaii etc, Im hopin that I can figure this out by the end of May  

Are you an international student?

yes I'm from Japan but i finished my B.A. and M.A. in US (i've been living in the states for 8 years (about more than a quarter of my entire life) so im now more comfy  living here than in Japan lol)

yes I'm from Japan but i finished my B.A. and M.A. in US (i've been living in the states for 8 years (about more than a quarter of my entire life) so im now more comfy  living here than in Japan lol)

Where are you from in Japan? I'm British studying Japanese in Tokyo. Sadly I have to go back to the UK next month and apply for my visa. How much time are you giving yourself to get one?