How to deal with your mom

NanoTech

Got my first rejection today from MIT. The thing is my mom cried over this when I told her on the phone.

I kept telling her that I already got amazing admits from top EE schools - CMU/Cornell/Stanford/UIUC/GaTech/Princeton/Michigan. But she kept crying. I felt so bad... I don't really know how to deal with her.

You're mom thinks you're a star! Of course she wanted you to get in everywhere. If you already have numerous acceptances, there's really not much to tell her other than "Mom, I have plenty of other choices. Very few people get into every school they apply to." If your mom is like mine, any discussion of grad school makes her weepy, so I just settle for a "Ma. You knew this was coming. It'll be fine."

And then my mom cries about how as soon as she knows I'm happy she'll be free to die, but ya know, some moms are more dramatic than others. ;)

She'll stop crying eventually. Just keep on enthusing about how happy you are with your other acceptances and what an awesome schools they are. If she sees you are in fact happy...realise that the MIT rejection is not a big deal and that she shouldn't feel sad on your behalf. 

Everything the Lynx said.

Change the conversation: when you plan to visit the other schools, how much you're looking forward to visiting, how much fun you had, how interesting the research is...etc.

Every excuse you come up with about MIT will only delay her fixation on it, so just avoid the conversation.

So what happened with you mom? Is she ok now?? 

She is not OK. She started bugging me to go to either Princeton or Stanford.

It seems she has come up with her own rankings. But I won't go to Princeton for sure.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

She is not OK. She started bugging me to go to either Princeton or Stanford.

It seems she has come up with her own rankings. But I won't go to Princeton for sure.

It's a hard knock life.

just tell her that MoJuiced is awesome and he's amassing an impressive collection of rejections, so be happy for acceptances!

My Mom just keeps asking me if I've gotten accepted anywhere yet and I'm like, "Mom, believe me, if I get accepted you'll know -- I'm going to tell everyone"