Waitlisted...now what?

Hey everyone!  I just started looking at this forum, so I feel like I'm a little late to the game, but that's okay.  Hi!    

Anyway, I've been waitlisted at three schools...and want to know what to do next?  Obviously I need to hear back from the three that I've not yet heard from, but until that time, is it worthwhile to call/email to find out where I'm at on the list?  Marquette specifically stated not to do so,  but what about the other schools?  Is there a good chance of getting called off of the list?  Should I make my peace with the fact that I won't attend these programs?

Thanks!  

Hey, I was also wait listed to UA but for the AuD program. I'm considering calling them to ask where I am on the wait-list to determine if it would be worth it to make the trip out there for one of their Spring visit days. I know some people have done this at other schools; so I don't think it will be a problem unless you are specifically told not to as in the case of Marquette. Look at the results sections from last year for your schools and a lot of people will post if they were accepted off the wait-list in the comments section. It does happen, don't give up hope! 

Hey, I was also wait listed to UA but for the AuD program. I'm considering calling them to ask where I am on the wait-list to determine if it would be worth it to make the trip out there for one of their Spring visit days. I know some people have done this at other schools; so I don't think it will be a problem unless you are specifically told not to as in the case of Marquette. Look at the results sections from last year for your schools and a lot of people will post if they were accepted off the wait-list in the comments section. It does happen, don't give up hope! 

Hey AuD2018, I saw that you heard back from Western Michigan, and was going to ask you about when you heard, but then realized it was for the Audiology program, correct? I would think that they would notify candidates around the same time for both programs but I guess not! Congrats!

Just to clarify, AuD2018 - should I look at the results sections on individual school websites that list their statistics (like the ones found on the ASHA website), or here on the forum from last application season?  

I guess the other issue that I'm concerned about is that UMN has stipulated that I should reply with my answer no later than April 15th.  I'm guessing a lot of schools have this deadline, which makes me think that people will likely wait it out a bit, hoping to hear back, and that there will be a big rush right around that time.  And then, who knows if schools will be updating their lists?  I DEFINITELY don't want to miss out on UMN, as it's a great program.  I'm super stoked about it, but am just curious about other possibilities.  

@CocoCoco I was referring to the results section here on GradCafe. Just search the specific school name and Speech then look at the older posts. Very few people in the entire applicant pool actually post here so it's not a very scientific approach, but if you see 2 or 3 say they got in off the wait list that's a good sign :) All the schools I have heard back from said to tell them by April 15th. So, wait lists will start opening up quite a bit after that. People who accept to their #2 and then get off the wait list to their #1 will then decline and another spot opens up. It's a huge waiting game, but for sure accept somewhere by April 15th so you have a spot. I was told to not feel bad about accepting everywhere then turning them down later. 

@arthritiskid Thanks! I heard from an email, my portal is locked from incorrect passwords too many times. Whoops! I need to get that fixed. I would think that the schools would notify both programs at the same time but that isn't always the case. For instance, today the Iowa AuD program held interviews and an open house but the SLP acceptances were sent out already( a few weeks ago I think) so that is a wide gap in notifications. 

I was also wait-listed at Indiana University.  I tried calling the number that was in the letter but I got her voicemail...seven times...oops...too much?!  I just wanted to talk to someone before the weekend.  But I finally left her a voice mail and I will post here if I can get any info on the amount of people on the wait-list and if it is weighted.  If anyone else hears anything help an anxiety prone graduate applicant out and post it here :)

I was also wait-listed at Indiana University.  I tried calling the number that was in the letter but I got her voicemail...seven times...oops...too much?!  I just wanted to talk to someone before the weekend.  But I finally left her a voice mail and I will post here if I can get any info on the amount of people on the wait-list and if it is weighted.  If anyone else hears anything help an anxiety prone graduate applicant out and post it here :)

That is always the trick - trying to figure out how much is too much! I had that problem myself...

I contacted someone else in the grad school at IU with whom I had made previous contact.  It sounds like there really isn't a weighted/ordered wait-list.  From what I read in the letter, they'll re-evaluate in April and let us know if we made it off the wait-list ASAP after 4/15.  So it looks like I'll be waiting another 6-8 weeks to plan my life.  YIKES!  Luckily I'm going somewhere warm for our Spring Break...waiting for information + snow + cold weather = getting really old... :wacko:

@CocoCoco, if you want, you can write the graduate school/person who signed your letter an email restating your desires to go there and any updates that you may have. I did this last year when I was wait listed and they seemed to appreciate it. It will also make you stand out from those who just stay silent! 

Edited by DeafAudi

@CocoCoco, if you want, you can write the graduate school/person who signed your letter an email restating your desires to go there and any updates that you may have. I did this last year when I was wait listed and they seemed to appreciate it. It will also make you stand out from those who just stay silent! 

That's a great idea, @DeafAudi!  I got two letters from Indiana - one saying I was waitlisted, and another saying that if I move off the waitlist, I am invited to participate in the bilingual STEPS (Speech Therapy Education, Practicum, and Services for Latino Children and Families) program.  I wrote an email to the person who signed off on the STEPS letter, but didn't think about writing one to the person who signed off on the general letter...Thanks for the suggestion!

I contacted someone else in the grad school at IU with whom I had made previous contact.  It sounds like there really isn't a weighted/ordered wait-list.  From what I read in the letter, they'll re-evaluate in April and let us know if we made it off the wait-list ASAP after 4/15.  So it looks like I'll be waiting another 6-8 weeks to plan my life.  YIKES!  Luckily I'm going somewhere warm for our Spring Break...waiting for information + snow + cold weather = getting really old... :wacko:

Thanks thats what I was guessing was the case.  I am really curious about how many people they wait-list and if they accept a few more people than they have spots for.  I'm sure they won't give any of that info but it sure would be nice to know if there are 20 people on the wait-list or 100.  Luckily, I am waiting out the next six weeks in sunny Southern California instead of the Midwest.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone is surviving being waitlisted and maybe even received an acceptance or two to soften the blow.  Hopefully just a another month or so of waiting good thing I have tons of anatomy to study to keep me busy! ha