Any experience with anti-depressants?

LittleDarlings

Depression and sadness are not the same thing, at all. People who have depression are not really really sad. You don't need a reason to have depression; your life can be going fantastically well..... and you can still have depression. Notice I'm saying have depression, not be depressed; there's a difference there, too. One of the big not-sadness symptoms is anger and a short temper. Tying back in with other threads, even if you find a boyfriend tomorrow, you may still have depression. Depression is not I'm-sad-because-________; it is not logical; it does not need a specific thing to start up symptoms. It's associated with stress, and preparing to move out of your parent's house / going to grad school / living on your own is a stressful bunch of stuff to deal with all at once.

Depression for me is apathy, a lack of motivation, and finding fault in just about ANYTHING offered up as a way to solve a problem I have.  To me, that looks similar to what happens in a number of your threads.  Again, I don't know you personally, but that is what I feel when I am "depressed".

I used to be on Zoloft (an SSRI) and before my mood upticks started, which I now know was due to bipolar II) it worked really well for me.  The first few days SUCKED and I was miserable at med adjustments for a few days after the start but I always adjusted with few side effects.  In all reality, I did really well.  And within 6 weeks of starting, I was sleeping normally, eating, and being "myself" again.  I don't think I was any more or less "happy" because I am a rather happy person even in the worst of it but I was able to do everything I wanted to do again.

I would give it a shot if your doc thinks it could help and you feel comfy trying.  Meds alone won't do it.  You need therapy.  You also have to realize it will take about a month or more to work.  So, start now and do it on a day where you have nothing planned.  After a week, side effects should calm down for you.

Why would I lie about possibly trying an antidepressant? Everything ties in together have you both ever thought of that? In the end it all goes together why I would be taking the medication, the threads... If you can't see that then I'm sorry for you. Do you think I love just being sad and pissed off all the time? Yeah just the highlight of my life right?

Thank you.

It's just the nature of the interwebz.  It's impossible to know if you really are who/what you say you are.  And it's impossible for you to know if I really am who/what I say I am for that matter.  Why would anyone lie on a message board?  For the lulz?

This maybe a dumb question but if depression isn't constant sadness what is it? I am just worried that maybe I am not really depressed? Maybe I am just ridiculous. I mean my biggest issue in life is the fact that I have no boyfriend, how can that equal depression? I just feel like it isn't real, like I'm just being dumb. I want to make sure that if I get on a medication to regulate my moods I am doing it for a reason, because I actually have an issue. Does that make sense?

It sounds to me like you are trying to convince yourself that you are not depressed by saying that you don't have any real problems. Depression is not the manifestation of serious problems with your life- it is a medical condition. If your therapist is suggesting anti-depressants (especially more than once), you should definitely think seriously about it before you decide not to try them. 

The fact is that is that you can always decide to stop taking anti-depressants (assuming you have given them adequate time to kick in) if you don't like the side effects or they don't seem to be working for you. I would urge you not to decide against ALL anti-depressants because of your experience with a single one. As with all medication a specific brand may not work for you. 

Depression and sadness are not the same thing, at all. People who have depression are not really really sad. You don't need a reason to have depression; your life can be going fantastically well..... and you can still have depression. Notice I'm saying have depression, not be depressed; there's a difference there, too. One of the big not-sadness symptoms is anger and a short temper. Tying back in with other threads, even if you find a boyfriend tomorrow, you may still have depression. Depression is not I'm-sad-because-________; it is not logical; it does not need a specific thing to start up symptoms. It's associated with stress, and preparing to move out of your parent's house / going to grad school / living on your own is a stressful bunch of stuff to deal with all at once.

Thanks this is what I wanted to know more than anything. I want to make sure I am not just jumping into this medication thing you know?

• 1 month later...

So I'm no expert or psychiatrist, but a simple search gave me the following sites that could help:

Dr. Oz's alternatives to anti-depressant medication: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/best-natural-anti-depressants

There's also an offsite depression support forum: http://psychcentral.com/resources/Depression/Support_Groups/  I've never used it, but it may help.

And I found depression diagnostic test: http://psychcentral.com/depquiz.htm Note: should not replace medical support!

Depression is a very serious matter, and for the OP to reach out to people here makes sense and we should not ostracise her for that, especially since depressed people often feel that they have no one else to turn to, or no one who understands them. To the OP, there are people that care about you, and it is okay to reach out for help. Good luck and take care.