Funding for MA Programs

theartman1193

Hey! I was wondering if anyone has applied, is applying, or is currently in a MA program with funding.  It seems as though most of the funding is for PHDs programs, but was wondering if any MA programs out there offered comparable packages.  I just think its a good idea to apply to a variety of programs....Thanks/Merci/Danke!

Hey! I was wondering if anyone has applied, is applying, or is currently in a MA program with funding.  It seems as though most of the funding is for PHDs programs, but was wondering if any MA programs out there offered comparable packages.  I just think its a good idea to apply to a variety of programs....Thanks/Merci/Danke!

I don't think you'll get comparable packages, but a few places like Tulane, Williams...they fund their MAs. 

Hey, I'm still waiting to hear from some, but I will say that I was offered a spot in Tulane's MA program with a very good stipend - not as much as some of the better PhD programs (which tends to be around 24-26k) but definitely better than a lot of PhD funding offers. Certainly enough where I wouldn't starve to death.  

Hey, I'm still waiting to hear from some, but I will say that I was offered a spot in Tulane's MA program with a very good stipend - not as much as some of the better PhD programs (which tends to be around 24-26k) but definitely better than a lot of PhD funding offers. Certainly enough where I wouldn't starve to death.  

Ahaha, they put me on the wait list for that stipend (it's about $18k?), but I'm probably accepting my PhD offer.  

Regardless, I think $18,000 is doable! 

Edited by m-ttl

A while ago I put together a list of programs that offer the possibility of funding to history MAs:

Likely a lot of the same universities would offer funded MAs in other disciplines.

My own MA was funded just like the PhDs in my department, with a tuition waiver and stipend.  It can be done!

Ahaha, they put me on the wait list for that stipend (it's about $18k?), but I'm probably accepting my PhD offer.  

Regardless, I think $18,000 is doable! 

You were waitlisted for the stipend? Considering their website says that all MAs are funded, that is odd.  Good luck!

I think the problem is that, while there are certainly funded MA programs, hardly any will tell you that before you are accepted. Its just a big guessing/hoping game. Tulane and Notre Dame are unique in that they straight up guarantee funding. 

You were waitlisted for the stipend? Considering their website says that all MAs are funded, that is odd.  Good luck!

I think the problem is that, while there are certainly funded MA programs, hardly any will tell you that before you are accepted. Its just a big guessing/hoping game. Tulane and Notre Dame are unique in that they straight up guarantee funding. 

Yeah, I thought it was weird? They definitely accepted me, but put me on WL for the money. But like I said, it looks like I'm going to turn down their (uncertain money) offer in favor of a bigger PhD offer. 

First of all, I will second what has been said on this thread before: (1) funding for MA students are "usually" not as good as it is for PhD students (2) info on financial packages often do not come out right away (3) many schools do not openly advertise that they "may" fund MA candidates; sometimes they even claim otherwise. 

Based on my own experience thus far for this app cycle the following schools try to fund their MA candidates: UC Riverside, U New Mexico, UW Madison, UMass Amherst, and Penn State. With that being said, the level of support varies tremendously and I don't think they fund "every" MA student that they accept. Of course, I could be completely wrong about the latter.

I also heard that Williams and Tufts fund their top candidates.

• 1 month later...

I understand this is a late reply, but people may come searching later. So I want to clarify:

Notre Dame does not offer funding to their MA in Art History. They did give a very small 4k stipend for the last two years to several students, but it's not likely to continue.

More importantly, the program itself is swirling the drain.

• Most of the art history faculty have moved on or retired in the past two years. None of them have been replaced.
  • It may not be clear from the departmental website, but there are only three or so remaining profs, an adjunct, and two shared (with Classics & Architecture).
  • For 2013-2014 no new students matriculated. It was a small program (~8-10 students) and now it's now.. very small.
  • There has been talk in the administration of the program being abolished. This seems to be borne out by the evidence: no registrations for the few sections on the schedule.
  • It seems the undergraduate courses have collapsed, as well -- not  a good sign.

In short, strike Notre Dame from your list.