Shutout thread

PhD applicant

Hi, lets be losers together.

What are your plans, now that you know you suck?

I have decided I'm going to be so awesome they will feel stupid later for rejecting me.

What do you think you will be doing?

I suspect for some of you this involves alcohol...

Also, I like to post gifs, so I think I will post gifs of loser-ness in this thread...

jim-carrey-writing.gif

Hi, lets be losers together.

What are your plans, now that you know you suck?

I have decided I'm going to be so awesome they will feel stupid later for rejecting me.

What do you think you will be doing?

I suspect for some of you this involves alcohol...

Also, I like to post gifs, so I think I will post gifs of loser-ness in this thread...

jim-carrey-writing.gif

Have you been shut out, or shut out so far?

I haven't technically been shut out but it's highly likely I'll voluntarily decide to just reapply next cycle and try for better results. I know the ways in which my application can be improved. It's going to be a terribly boring year though, so it's certainly not something I'm looking forward to. 

Have you been shut out, or shut out so far?

I'm holding on to the stupid hope that the only place I haven't heard from yet has me on a secret waitlist or something but they have already sent out their acceptances, so I'm just being stupid really.

I haven't technically been shut out but it's highly likely I'll voluntarily decide to just reapply next cycle and try for better results. I know the ways in which my application can be improved. It's going to be a terribly boring year though, so it's certainly not something I'm looking forward to. 

I know I've learned a lot that I'm going to use to kick the ass out of the next cycle, that's for sure.

Do I count? I can't afford either of my acceptances and my waitlist is super uncertain.

You count. I feel really bad for those of us who aren't in a financial place to live off parents, trust funds, friends, relations, or savings, etc.

And lastly, a gif.

sad.gif

I'm holding on to the stupid hope that the only place I haven't heard from yet has me on a secret waitlist or something but they have already sent out their acceptances, so I'm just being stupid really.

I know I've learned a lot that I'm going to use to kick the ass out of the next cycle, that's for sure.

You count. I feel really bad for those of us who aren't in a financial place to live off parents, trust funds, friends, relations, or savings, etc.

And lastly, a gif.

sad.gif

YAY! Oh wait...

Oh hey! This means I might be talking to you guys next year. Silver linings people, silver linings. 

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I understand that. But I desperately want to explore Bangkok, so choices are being made. 

I don't know if I'll apply to philosophy grad school again. Part of leaving the country is about giving me space to evaluate what I actually want to do with my life, far away from all the things that are influencing me now. 

I'm female too. It's actually pretty safe for single western women travelers, compared to other countries in southeast asia. 

It is surprisingly safe indeed! Some of my girlfriends, around 24-years-old, went for a few weeks for New Years and had no problems whatsoever and their money went a long way. 

4iXsKj.gif

Well, I threw my shut-out tantrum two weeks ago when I got the first two rejections, so I've gotten that out of my system lol.

I'm considering becoming an apprentice at a local farm to reevaluate my direction without distractions. I live in Atlanta, so I'll likely attempt to slink into GSU's MA program. If I get reject, I'll take classes as a non-degree seeking student until I can get in. Then reapply to PhD programs. Rinse and repeat until I'm accepted into a well-fitting program. 

Or I'll work somewhere only mildly depressing to take care of myself while I let the second round of apps consume my soul. Or Michelle Obama will call Princeton herself and demand that I am admitted. Whichever. 

I'm a journalist, too, so I'll be freelancing regardless and that will bring me joy. 

Don't forget to find a hot Thai wife while you're at it.

I think some people didn't realize you were quoting/making fun of Dfindley who said that he would move to Thailand, study philosophy, and marry a hot thai woman... Because I remember dfindley I found that comment amazing and it took me more than a moment to realize the person you were quoting wasn't just pretending to be Dfindley and was actually serious.

I think some people didn't realize you were quoting/making fun of Dfindley who said that he would move to Thailand, study philosophy, and marry a hot thai woman... Because I remember dfindley I found that comment amazing and it took me more than a moment to realize the person you were quoting wasn't just pretending to be Dfindley and was actually serious.

THANK YOU! God, and you people say you remember Dfindley. 

I actually got upset when that comment got downvoted because I'm tired of the 'quick to jump down people's throats' around here. It's really exhausting, and I hope I never end up at school with certain people, because I'm sure they have to be some sort of obnoxious in person.

Edit: must add gif now...

tumblr_mfn4tx2ewx1rods5so1_500.gif

Edited by PhD applicant

I actually got upset when that comment got downvoted because I'm tired of the 'quick to jump down people's throats' around here. It's really exhausting, and I hope I never end up at school with certain people, because I'm sure they have to be some sort of obnoxious in person.

Edit: must add gif now...

tumblr_mfn4tx2ewx1rods5so1_500.gif

You know what? I think that the people that downvoted me shouldn't get their patches. Clearly they don't remember dfindley.

Let's be honest, all of Dfindley's comments are horrible read out of context.

I don't know about that. If I did metaphysics and were single (my partner sometimes snoops on here when she's bored at work ^_^), I'd probably steal that "My metaphysics are awesome" line for my dating profile. My main move would also be suggestively saying "Let's get meta-physical."

I don't know about that. If I did metaphysics and were single (my partner sometimes snoops on here when she's bored at work ^_^), I'd probably steal that "My metaphysics are awesome" line for my dating profile. My main move would also be suggestively saying "Let's get meta-physical."

Stealing these ideas ^

Screenshot2014-03-07at112501AM_zps66f4db

Edited by zblaesi