Shutout thread

PhD applicant

Let's be honest, all of Dfindley's comments are horrible read out of context.

I think most of his comments are horrible just being read.

You know what? I think that the people that downvoted me shouldn't get their patches. Clearly they don't remember dfindley.

If I were to guess who did it, I don't think they are people who asked for a patch, so that's okay then.

Also, I don't care that much. I'm not into grudging on people. I just keep in my mind that they're lame.

Also, a gif.

inside_the_minds_of_fighting_cats-10688.

If remarks-that-would-be-offensive-if-they-weren't-inside-jokes should never be disapproved of by those who aren't aware they are inside jokes (and when the fact that they are inside jokes is not explained and there is no contextual reason to think they are inside jokes), doesn't that sort of lead to a situation where no remarks which are offensive should be disapproved of?

If you're going to make an inside joke around a broader audience and you know would be offensive if it were meant seriously* I'm pretty sure you should either be ready to be disapproved of or ready to explain that it's just an inside joke. I don't think people are "lame" or "obnoxious" for failing to know what one didn't explain to them about the meaning of the joke and acting accordingly. 

*- Leaving aside the issue of whether or not saying something offensive jokingly is always acceptable.

Edited by Monadology

No, I don't think they're lame for not knowing. I think they're lame for taking offense when none was intended. There's a lot of that, not just on this forum, but in this world. And I will think it is lame no matter who uses it. I don't care if comes from people of my own gender or religious beliefs. It's ugly and I don't think it serves any purpose when we claim to be people who know how to hold rational arguments.

I couldn't remember the reference when he made the comment, but I took no offense by it, because I knew he did not intend any.

Also, a gif.

mrw-i-found-out-that-my-university-offer

"but I took no offense by it, because I knew he did not intend any."

I think that last part is the most telling. It's hard to know what people intend, especially on text based sites. I understood he was referencing Dfindley, but I'm sure many didn't. They are lame because they weren't around early enough to know Dfindley, which is how I judge the quality of people from now on. Did you experience Dfindley? Yes = Not Lame, No = Lame. 

Okay since this is text I should say I'm being facetious to prove a point. 

Namely that the people that took Barscene seriously were fine in interpreting him poorly, through their one horrible personal defect of not knowing dfindley's posting history. And those that understood it it were fine in understanding the reference. 

I think you're right people need not get offended so easily, but I only saw downvotes, nobody called him out for it. That seems like an acceptable response. People do need thick skins though. We live in a world with free speech and a surfeit of different views and different ideas. If we go through life letting everything contrary to our views eat at us we'll end up skinless soon. 

To be honest, I was going to edit the post to point out that it was in inside joke after a mountain of people started downvoting me, but I couldn't edit it (I guess you lose the ability to edit after a period of time). To be honest, the reputation points thing doesn't matter so much, it just bothers me a little that no one bothered to ask why I was saying something so clearly offensive when I don't have (to my knowledge at least) a history of making wildly offensive claims. And right now I'm staring at the saddest picture of David Tennant I've ever seen. You're going to make me cry zizeksucks.

No, I don't think they're lame for not knowing. I think they're lame for taking offense when none was intended. There's a lot of that, not just on this forum, but in this world. And I will think it is lame no matter who uses it. I don't care if comes from people of my own gender or religious beliefs. It's ugly and I don't think it serves any purpose when we claim to be people who know how to hold rational arguments.

I couldn't remember the reference when he made the comment, but I took no offense by it, because I knew he did not intend any.

Also, a gif.

mrw-i-found-out-that-my-university-offer

I have a low opinion of people that frequently downvote. 

To be honest, I feel a little free. I have so many paper ideas and professors willing to co-author with me I think I can publish a few things over the next year. Maybe I can visit some relations, etc. It isn't so bad. Mostly just depressing that I couldn't keep pushing forward with dreams and shit. Like the world is like 'fuck your dreams'.

and a gif

billy_bully_no_bullying_hg_clr.gif

To be honest, I feel a little free. I have so many paper ideas and professors willing to co-author with me I think I can publish a few things over the next year. Maybe I can visit some relations, etc. It isn't so bad. Mostly just depressing that I couldn't keep pushing forward with dreams and shit. Like the world is like 'fuck your dreams'.

and a gif

billy_bully_no_bullying_hg_clr.gif

Just out of curiosity, do you have an MA? If not, did you apply to any? There are some that admit in the spring and so on.

Nah, I don't have an MA. I wanted to get into one of those programs that take BAs, but I think there were too many awesome MAs out there. Although, when I look at some of them, I'm not sure exactly what credentials they have over me other than an MA. In any case, I think it's too soon after my shutout to consider re-applying so fast. I need to process. It's a good thought though, I didn't know there were spring admission seasons. There's some stuff I need to think about concerning my shutout; reasons it may have happened, etc. I'm a planner so I already had a plan in place, I mean, a list in place for this possible future. In fact, I am at this moment drafting one of said papers for future publication. It was like 1) Shutout, 2) Finish grading papers, 3) Move on and publish something. That's how today went.

and a gif

nerd1.gif

"There are two types of parrhesia which we must distinguish. 
First, there is a pejorative sense of the word not very far from 
"chattering' and which consists in saying any or everything 
one has in mind without qualification." -Foucault in Fearless Speech
Edited by nietzschemarket

"There are two types of parrhesia which we must distinguish. 
First, there is a pejorative sense of the word not very far from 
"chattering' and which consists in saying any or everything 
one has in mind without qualification." -Foucault in Fearless Speech

Fair enough, but was that the case with Dfindley? I'm not entirely sure. Okay, maybe occasionally, but there were definitely times where it wasn't the case. It at least put me on the fence about Dfindley.

Fair enough, but was that the case with Dfindley? I'm not entirely sure. Okay, maybe occasionally, but there were definitely times where it wasn't the case. It at least put me on the fence about Dfindley.

Maybe not, at least inasmuch as he didn't say everything that came to mind without any qualification. His statements were almost always very, very poorly qualified, however. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Florida and my UVA waitlist. If I don't get either of those, it'll be next year for me, since I'm not taking tech without funding.

Not a bad choice if you're already littered with student loans.

Also a general note to everyone: no shame in trying again. I got shutout my first time as well.