Waiting to hear from a few departments

ianfaircloud

I'm back from vacation, and I updated my blog. 

We're still waiting to hear from Univ of Michigan and UCLA. These departments admitted a few, but we've heard nothing since. Has anyone heard something and perhaps forgot to post about it?

Also: Carnegie-Mellon. Rejections were sent weeks ago. Has anyone been admitted?

Also, has anyone not received an expected rejection letter from NYU or from Princeton? These departments promptly rejected a lot of people last week, but I heard from neither of them. I suspect many of you are in the same situation. If not, then I really need to contact these departments.

Edited by ianfaircloud

Still nothing new from Mich or UCLA it seems. Carnegie Mellon, same issue. A couple rejections way back, but no acceptances/waitlists, I am among those waiting to hear back.

I received Princeton rejection as did several others on here. They haven't sent out waitlists so maybe you got lucky and are waitlisted. I'd contact them.

I didn't apply to NYU so I have no info there.

Still nothing new from Mich or UCLA it seems. Carnegie Mellon, same issue. A couple rejections way back, but no acceptances/waitlists, I am among those waiting to hear back.

I received Princeton rejection as did several others on here. They haven't sent out waitlists so maybe you got lucky and are waitlisted. I'd contact them.

I didn't apply to NYU so I have no info there.

Thanks for the reply! I don't want to be naive, but I think it's actually possible that I'm wait-listed at Princeton. I'm going to contact them today.

I thought Princeton didn't do wait lists. I thought I read somewhere that they just admit everyone they want to take and that's it. If more people accept than they thought, whatever they got the cash. Can't seem to find it on their site, but I don't see any waitlists in the database here for Princeton for the past few years. I could be wrong.

Sorry for being a downer...

EDIT: You should still contact them though if you haven't heard anything.

Edited by Die_Kurator

You should still contact them though if you haven't heard anything.

Thanks, and agreed!

I got an acceptance from UCSB a while back and I've seen that you haven't updated it on your blog. So there's that. Let me know if you want more deets to verify it. 

I really appreciate this. How did I overlook this? Did you post your results in the survey?

I am in the same boat regarding NYU. I have not received my rejection letter from them yet.

Hmmm... Good luck to us!! (But let's also be real, here. It's probably a clerical error.)

Anyone know what on earth has become of UConn? They've sent out just a couple of offers so far early on (late Jan, early Feb), at least from what's been posted on the results page. But nothing since then. 

I doubt they're taking a smaller entering class this year, since they clearly have become a very well funded department lately, making at least five or six big new hires lately. In fact, they're supposed to climb the rankings *very* significantly on the next Gourmet Report, from what Leiter and others have written. 

Anyone know what on earth has become of UConn? They've sent out just a couple of offers so far early on (late Jan, early Feb), at least from what's been posted on the results page. But nothing since then. 

I doubt they're taking a smaller entering class this year, since they clearly have become a very well funded department lately, making at least five or six big new hires lately. In fact, they're supposed to climb the rankings *very* significantly on the next Gourmet Report, from what Leiter and others have written. 

I agree that you should expect more offers. UConn historically takes their time, but I expect they will send out their acceptances/waitlists/rejections by the 15th.

Perhaps UCLA uses an internal wait-list? Otherwise, is there anything to make us think that they have not finished making all of their offers?

Also I too received a UCSB offer which happened on the 5th of March in case you want the exact date for the wonderful records you compile. 

Has anyone heard from Iowa or Oklahoma?

I contacted the Iowa department last week.  At that point they had only extended offers to those applicants to whom they were offering fellowships.  The director of graduate studies said they hadn't yet determined how many students they could accept this year with TA funding (and they don't admit people without funding).  They were planning to figure that out yesterday at a department meeting.  So, I think you should expect to hear from them today (but certainly within the next day or two) if you've been admitted.  If you are on the waitlist, I wouldn't be surprised if it took a bit longer for them to contact you.

I'm also curious about UCLA. It's a bit hard to track what's going on since they have sent out admissions over such a long period, a few at a time. Are their any waitlistees? I know they haven't sent out rejections yet...I am I right in thinking that if I haven't heard, it means a rejection will be coming in at some point?

I'm in the same boat for Michigan...their whole process (months in between admits, and like two at a time) is baffling to me.

I'm not an applicant, but a current student. CMU sent out acceptances for both the masters and PhD programs weeks ago. Visit weekends for both are scheduled for later this month/early next month. Not sure of the status of rejections. I believe they typically don't keep a waitlist, but I can't 100% promise that that's the case this year.

I'm not an applicant, but a current student. CMU sent out acceptances for both the masters and PhD programs weeks ago. Visit weekends for both are scheduled for later this month/early next month. Not sure of the status of rejections. I believe they typically don't keep a waitlist, but I can't 100% promise that that's the case this year.

Thanks for this.  Can you do anything to verify this?  I've seen no posts, etc.  Or I guess a better way to put this: How certain are you about this?  (If certain, then that's helpful!)

I've seen the list of PhD admits (there were 9, I think), and got an email a week ago requesting hosts for the visit days. So I suppose it's technically possible people haven't been notified yet, but the odds of that are next to nothing. 

Thanks for this.  Can you do anything to verify this?  I've seen no posts, etc.  Or I guess a better way to put this: How certain are you about this?  (If certain, then that's helpful!)

If it helps, I can offer my anecdotal confirmation as well. They're flying a Kiwi out in two weeks (a friend of someone in my department, which is why I know).