NYU Wagner

DeltaAA

Still waiting as well!

It's been so long since I submitted the application that I actually kinda forgot about NYU...... hopefully good news comes to everyone.

Wow.... just got the email..... right after I got the email from Columbia GSAPP.

In at GSAPP. Out at Wagner...

Still, congrats to all those admitted!!!!!!!! 

I just received an email from NYU Wagner. Admitted! :D

@linkth 

Holy Shi*! You got accepted to so many excellent schools!!!!! 

How are you even going to decide!!! Congrats!!!

I got mine today, too -- congrats to all!

Did anyone's second email provide a mention of the PER requirement?

PParker -- mine says that the scholarship award email will provide information on "NYU Wagner's professional experience requirement" .. is that what yours says? Not sure what that means. I've been working full time at a non-profit for a few years since undergrad, so I'm not sure if that counts or what the requirement is.

My question is did everyone's email have the part about the scholarship award email to come? Do you think that means we received something? Or maybe it was meant to be read that the decision on whether or not you receive funding will be in a follow up email? I read it both ways so just wanted to see what you all thought ..

I'm looking at pursuing the nonprofit management aspect of the program. Any one else?

I got the acceptance e-mail today, very exciting! :) Congrats everyone else!

awex, I also got the part about scholarships award in my e-mail, but I think that just means we probably checked off something in the application that asked if we wanted to be considered for scholarships - it probably went to everyone who did that.  I am also pursuing nonprofit management.

Edited by saffron238

I got mine today, too -- congrats to all!

PParker -- mine says that the scholarship award email will provide information on "NYU Wagner's professional experience requirement" .. is that what yours says? Not sure what that means. I've been working full time at a non-profit for a few years since undergrad, so I'm not sure if that counts or what the requirement is.

My question is did everyone's email have the part about the scholarship award email to come? Do you think that means we received something? Or maybe it was meant to be read that the decision on whether or not you receive funding will be in a follow up email? I read it both ways so just wanted to see what you all thought ..

I'm looking at pursuing the nonprofit management aspect of the program. Any one else?

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I'm not sure what kind if work experience they require, I have almost 6 years in pharma, I hope that qualifies.....I also hope I get some $$$ it would be difficult to go at sticker....

I was on the site, it says that if you were required to fulfill the PER requirement, your decision letter would have stated it.....did anyone have to fulfill the PER requirement???

@saffron238 congrats on the acceptance! I think you might be right about the scholarship info. That makes complete sense since I definitely would have checked the box! Nice to hear from another person pursuing the nonprofit side of the MPA. I haven't seen too much of that on this site.

@PParker hmm .. that is interesting. It did seem vague in my email. I guess more info will be coming soon. Hopefully your 6 years will count for that - that would be really helpful. I also am hoping to hear some good news about funding this week. NYC is expensive enough to live, let alone with the NYU tuition on top. Good luck!!!

Just got scholly money email...pretty significant...It's my top choice now......Good luck everyone.... :D

Edit...I don't have to do PER.....

Edited by PParker

I just got the follow-up email too - no funding for me.

The content re the PER requirement is very odd.  The requirement is that you must either:

1. Enter NYU Wagner with at least two years of full-time, degree relevant, professional experience or
  2. Complete a minimum of 280 to 560 hours in a degree relevant job or internship while attending NYU Wagner and before enrollment in Capstone. (Professional Experience Requirement)

My email says:

After a thorough assessment of your application, the Graduate Admissions Committee has determined that you will be required to fulfill this Professional Experience Requirement (PER) as a part of your degree program before enrollment in Capstone.

I've got more than seven years of professional full-time experience in a mix of government policy roles and policy think-tanks. I would have thought that would count for the purposes of the first option - it was enough to get me offers for mid-career programs at other places - but it seems not.  I'm not going to follow it up with them as I don't intend to accept the offer anyway, but it suggests that their review process is a bit idiosyncratic. It might be worth questioning for others with some experience who are told the need to fulfil the PER.

Edited by samiam

I just got the follow-up email too - no funding for me.

The content re the PER requirement is very odd.  The requirement is that you must either:

1. Enter NYU Wagner with at least two years of full-time, degree relevant, professional experience or
  2. Complete a minimum of 280 to 560 hours in a degree relevant job or internship while attending NYU Wagner and before enrollment in Capstone. (Professional Experience Requirement)

My email says:

After a thorough assessment of your application, the Graduate Admissions Committee has determined that you will be required to fulfill this Professional Experience Requirement (PER) as a part of your degree program before enrollment in Capstone.

I've got more than seven years of professional full-time experience in a mix of government policy roles and policy think-tanks. I would have thought that would count for the purposes of the first option - it was enough to get me offers for mid-career programs at other places - but it seems not.  I'm not going to follow it up with them as I don't intend to accept the offer anyway, but it suggests that their review process is a bit idiosyncratic. It might be worth questioning for others with some experience who are told the need to fulfil the PER.

Sorry to hear that...you can def get a waiver, and plea your case.....But not getting funding sux...

@PParker -- congrats on the funding!

@Samian I would definitely follow up with them on that! By the time Fall semester will start, I will have just shy of 3 years working for the same nonprofit organization, so it sounds like you have more than me.

I just got my email, too. No funding for me, but I would not have to complete the PER based on my current job per the email, so that is a plus. Since I have received funding at other locations, I will probably decline soon, so hopefully if there is a waiting list, someone else can take my spot!

Good luck to all!

Edit: @Samian just realized you said you weren't going to follow up with them on it since you have other offers .. disregard my comment then :)

Edited by awex

Edit: @Samian just realized you said you weren't going to follow up with them on it since you have other offers .. disregard my comment then :)

No worries. If I was thinking about attending, I'd definitely be chasing it up!  Since I'm not, I just thought I'd post it here in case it's useful for others.

Same here! I have 4.5 years full-time and a lot of part-time. I was rather shocked! There's a form you can fill out to ask them to re-evalutate, you can find it here: http://wagner.nyu.edu/academics/per#2. But I really just felt like they decided everyone had to do it no matter what, and seeing what you wrote - I'm even more convinced.

They're also the only place where I've been accepted so far that isn't offering any money at all. By the way, I was also accepted at mid-career programs. Truth is, I probably won't be attending Wagner, so I really don't know why the e-mail got me so upset.

Edited by Naamoose