NOT EVEN ONE ACCEPTANCE YET? LETS VENT HERE!!

I'm just worried my SOP wasn't the best. I also am worried because I applied at a lot of state schools (in Michigan) and I'm from Maine so they're not my "in-state." The only program in my state is a party school (for undergrad) and I do not want that environment/city living.

I'm just worried my SOP wasn't the best. I also am worried because I applied at a lot of state schools (in Michigan) and I'm from Maine so they're not my "in-state." The only program in my state is a party school (for undergrad) and I do not want that environment/city living.

:(  Well, as they say, it ain't over till it's over!  You might still get acceptances or you might get pulled off the wait list for University of Pittsburgh after April 15th.  You never know!

Often, when I'm in situations that I struggle with (which happens all the time lol), I ask myself "What is the worst possible scenario in this situation?"  I try to identify what it is, and then figure out a plan to deal with it.  This actually happened to me last year.  I was all set to quit teaching after my fourth year at my school (I did NOT want to go back) and take pre-reqs full time.  This was dependent on my husband's job.  I asked myself what was the worst that could happen if that plan failed.  Well, obviously, I would have to teach again.  Lo and behold, our financial situation didn't work out and I had to go back and teach again for a 5th year.  And do you know what?  I had the absolute BEST group of students that I have ever had.  They were a joy to be around and when I left teaching in January, I got to leave on a very positive note.  (My sweet little kiddos actually made me question my career change, but then I remembered the piles of grading, and the 12+ hour days, haha).

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that what is the absolute worst thing that can happen here?  You won't get into grad school this year.  Is that an awful thing? NO!!! You might get to try new opportunities in this next year that you will absolutely love!  You will know what to change on your application next year so it will be stronger.  You will get a little down time to relax before graduate school.  Try to make a plan B for yourself and see if it helps!  It might just take the stress off. :)

Congrats on getting into the AuD program at Bloomsburg! I applied there as well and have all of my fingers and toes crossed that I will hear back soon!

Thank you! They seem like an incredible program. Good luck!!! 

I read somewhere that usually all the rejections go out towards the end of March for grad programs. Since this was for grad school in general I don't know how well it pertains to speech programs but needless to say since the end of March is basically here, I haven't heard back from some schools that have been notifying people, and I feel the need to go let out a huge breakdown I've been suppressing til now. Sorry if I bummed anyone else out but this is my rant :( I thought the stress of applications was going to kill but boy was I wrong; this is going to do it. 

I read somewhere that usually all the rejections go out towards the end of March for grad programs. Since this was for grad school in general I don't know how well it pertains to speech programs but needless to say since the end of March is basically here, I haven't heard back from some schools that have been notifying people, and I feel the need to go let out a huge breakdown I've been suppressing til now. Sorry if I bummed anyone else out but this is my rant :( I thought the stress of applications was going to kill but boy was I wrong; this is going to do it. it

I do not understand why they would wait to send out reject letters. Many people wait to hear from all schools before making decisions. Besides, if a school is planning on rejecting you why not send it out right away? 

I hope the rejection thing isn't the case... I know one of my schools hasn't sent anything to anyone. Another just sent everyone's decisions and one of mine is still doing interviews.

I agree that that may be the case in general, but I know many programs notify later in the game, period. That is the case with a lot of California schools. However, it is frustrating that many take their time to send out rejections. It hurts way more when you cling to false hope.

I do not understand why they would wait to send out reject letters. Many people wait to hear from all schools before making decisions. Besides, if a school is planning on rejecting you why not send it out right away? 

I agree with your point.  But now I am nervous - is this actually true?? ;(  

I haven't received any results yet (either acceptances or rejections) - just 2 interviews (better than nothing though!)

3 of my top schools have been sending out acceptances, waitlists, and rejections since the end of February and I have yet to hear back from them!  I am extremely anxious!  I am constantly checking my emails, mailbox, and the results page!  It is such a heartbreak to see nothing yet ;(  However I am trying to tell myself that I am being tested and that I should remain calm and patient and have faith!!  Sometimes my emotions and anxiety get the best of me!  I am not sure if I should give these universities a call for a followup on my application..

I'm so anxious...I just want to stay in :|

I have a warm cup of tea and season one of Game of Thrones... partially because I'm not feeling well, but mostly because I need to get my mind off application decisions! Do you have any nice distractions this evening? 

I know this whole thing just sucks. It's like I'm stuck in limbo...give me the news whether its good or bad already (but praying to god its good of course). 

I guess I just had my breakdown today so that's why I brought this up and talking to my friends about it doesn't really help because none of them are going/have gone through this.

I think I'm going to contact the schools Monday to see what's going on because I can't sit here and not do anything anymore. I also read that after mid-March, it's completely ok to do that, so why not. 

Hope everyone else in the same boat as me hears back soon with GOOD news! Praying for all of us!! 

I don't know how much longer I can deal with this rejection. I have 3 Waitlists and 8 rejections (including one from my own PostBacc school) and am waiting to hear from a few more. It's become unbearable and I'm starting to think that maybe this just isn't worth it anymore. It's absolutely excruciating. Hope y'all are hanging in there. I'm trying!

I don't know how much longer I can deal with this rejection. I have 3 Waitlists and 8 rejections (including one from my own PostBacc school) and am waiting to hear from a few more. It's become unbearable and I'm starting to think that maybe this just isn't worth it anymore. It's absolutely excruciating. Hope y'all are hanging in there. I'm trying!

Hey Danielle! I'm in a similar situation as you. 7 rejections and 3 waitlists (although I know that western Illinois did not accept me - not sure if it's a waitlist or rejection yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a rejection). This is definitely a difficult time, and I've been trying to think what my next plan of action is if I don't get taken off the waitlist. Is this your first year applying? This is my second year, and I am going to try again for spring and fall next year if I don't get in anywhere. But not having a job that allows me to survive on my own is not easy, and realistically I need to think about supporting myself! Just wanted to let you know that I'm feeling the same way, so we'll have to hang in there together!

---Wow 2 minutes after I posted this I got an e-mail from Western Illinois putting me on the waitlist! 

Edited by daisynic

Hey Danielle! I'm in a similar situation as you. 7 rejections and 3 waitlists (although I know that western Illinois did not accept me - not sure if it's a waitlist or rejection yet, but I'm pretty sure it's a rejection). This is definitely a difficult time, and I've been trying to think what my next plan of action is if I don't get taken off the waitlist. Is this your first year applying? This is my second year, and I am going to try again for spring and fall next year if I don't get in anywhere. But not having a job that allows me to survive on my own is not easy, and realistically I need to think about supporting myself! Just wanted to let you know that I'm feeling the same way, so we'll have to hang in there together!

It's good that you have so much positive energy and that your not giving up! So far I have 4 rejections and 1 wait list. I'm waiting on another 8 but I feel like my rejections signify the coming of more bad news. I feel the same way about having to support myself. How much money and time can we spend trying to get in? I feel like looking for employment opportunities... 

It's my second year, too. But last year I had zero prerequisites and less experience than I do now. I applied to postbaccs and programs that would allow me to matriculate without having completed the prerequisites. This year, I purposely applied to a ton more programs this year, hoping it would pan out, but my prospects are looking bleak. Every day is different though--some days I'm positive and others I'm just completely torn up. Glad you all feel it too. Thinking good thoughts for you!

---Wow 2 minutes after I posted this I got an e-mail from Western Illinois putting me on the waitlist! 

Oh my gosh, yay! Another waitlist will only help!

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS THREAD! I'm going insane. I hope you guys don't mind my jumping in your SLP thread--the Audiology forum is a lonely place because literally everyone else has received an acceptance...I'm debating applying to NOVA because I'm so worried I won't get in anywhere. I've been rejected at Iowa and Illinois so far. I had interviews at NIU and Bloomsburg. NIU did not go well at all. I haven't heard from Syracuse and Missouri and saw acceptances go out already.

So, I am reasoning that I probably have 5 schools still in the running, including UBC. I don't even think I have much of a chance at UBC, so maybe just 4? Help! Should I apply to NOVA or just wait? Does anyone know if Akron, Bloomsburg, Wichita State, and South Alabama accept many international students? 

I don't have a back up plan if I don't get in. This is my second year applying and I will be absolutely crushed.

Hi! I haven't heard anything from Bloomsburg, when were you notified of your interview?

Oh man this thread is making me feel less alone! I applied to two schools and haven't heard from either of them yet. My friends who applied to the same schools haven't heard either. I only applied to two schools this time around because I know my GPA will be higher next fall once I've graduated. But I barely have a 3.0 and my GRE score is not great. I can only hope my letters of rec were good. I have hopes that I'll be accepted but I can't imagine why I would be chosen above anyone else! It just feels so hopeless. I wish I could go back in time and work harder. When I entered the program I just didn't have  a grasp on how competitive getting into grad school would be. 

If I don't get in I'll have to move back home, which I don't mind too much but I think it will be boring. I'll just make sure I do really well during my last quarter and then try to volunteer with an SLP at a nearby school. Maybe retake the GRE and actually study

So far, I have gotten three rejections and two waitlists. I am still waiting to hear from two schools, but I am really disheartened at this point. I'm pretty sure having a degree in another field and only having a few prereqs done is a huge culprit. Why can't grad schools be more upfront about needing to have all those prereqs?! They talk about how different backgrounds/majors are an asset to their classes and bring diversity, but it sure isn't looking like that! 

Edited by nata25

I sure hope so too...the reality that I may not be at grad school in the fall is kind of hitting me right now.

Don't doubt yourself! I had three wait lists and a rejection before I finally was accepted. Even if things look bad, you still have four chances left! And you might get off of the two wait lists that you're on. Stay positive :) Things will be okay!