Supplies for SLP Graduate School

I just bought a tote to use for grad school from this website.  It's a great cause - the woman who runs the business hires women in the Detroit area who would not otherwise be able to work.  

I'm wondering how you like your bag! I'm considering getting the Chloe bag--so cute! 

So I spoke with my parents about how I am planning on purchasing a tablet for graduate school, and my dad apparently bought the samsung galaxy 2 tablet 10.1 for work, but rarely used it, so he handed it over to me! That saves me some money! I'm still trying to figure everything out. It's not the newest model, but seems to have a lot of potential. I don't see what note taking device there is already on here? I'm looking for apps that I can get that might aid me in taking notes during class and/or studying. Unfortunately the apps you mentioned that you used for the iPad aren't in the android market :(

The galaxy tab vs the galaxy note are different in that there is no stylus for the tab. The ipad apps (notability and iannotate) aren't available on the samsung devices but there are good android apps for note taking and annotation which you can download. For the ones I mentioned, I had the ipad specifically in mind because I actually had a really hard time making the ipad a productive device before I knew about those two apps.

For androids, Ezpdf is a good one for document annotation. So is adobe reader (free). Polaris office is good for Microsoft office compatibility and can be marked up too, so it's a good note taking option if you have a keyboard for your tablet. There are free options for those apps, but they're really just worth paying for to get all the features.

I also use google docs a lot to take notes and everything is searchable.

I'm not sure how necessary the stylus is for note taking because I managed on the ipad even without one, so even though the tab doesn't have one, you can still easily use it for note taking. I don't think it would be worth it to buy a new device, unless the display isn't sharp enough to your liking.

I really like the note 10.1 (with the stylus). But even without considering the stylus, I have fewer compatibility issues than I did with the ipad. It's such a huge change. Back when I was using the ipad, I always had to first save the power points onto google drive, or some other cloud service before I could access it on my ipad. The ipad always had issues accessing files directly from my school's website. To be honest, if my mom hadn't had the ipad lying around that she wasn't using, it wouldn't have been my first choice. Actually, I had an anatomy class with lots of pictures in the power points, and half the time I couldn't see the images on the ipad. But, the ipad does have way more SLP apps.

If you have a device, I don't think it's worth it to get another one yet. Play around with it and see if it'll suffice. I think productivity really depends on the kinds of apps you can find.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions!

I'm wondering how you like your bag! I'm considering getting the Chloe bag--so cute! 

Sorry - just saw this!  I love my bag!! It's really sturdy and cute!

I really wanted to do a messenger bag because I love the look, but I'm getting rid of my car and moving to a "walking city" so comfort is more of a consideration. Also, my school is on the side of a mountain and walking campus feels like hiking, so I have to go for support over style.

Not sure if they told you this during orientation, but the communication sciences and disorders building is moving this summer from the side-of-mountain building you visited (Beatty Hall) to one that's downtown and completely off the mountain. So unless you're hiking up to the Biological or Chemical sciences buildings on campus, you won't have to be walking uphill.  

Not sure if they told you this during orientation, but the communication sciences and disorders building is moving this summer from the side-of-mountain building you visited (Beatty Hall) to one that's downtown and completely off the mountain. So unless you're hiking up to the Biological or Chemical sciences buildings on campus, you won't have to be walking uphill.

Thanks. Yep, they showed me new location while I was there.

• 2 weeks later...

How about supplies for clinic? I'm starting to think that it might be wise to bring some stickers, toys, random kid stuff (ect..) to graduate school. Also, what about good SLP apps to check out now?

Gah I can't believe that I have to move for grad school in 2 months! I'm gonna struggle with figuring out what to take! I have to downsize my belongings too since I'm moving 7 hours away... goodness I am so excited! I love this thread! It will be so helpful!