Supplies for SLP Graduate School

My list:

Backpack

Ink Pens

Snow Boots

Sanuk Flip-Flops

A 4-year supply of Kleenex to catch my tears

Alcohol

psycD, aren't you doing a phd in CSD? I have a masters in CSD and while the research is related, it's not a clinical/professional degree. this forum is for speech path programs...

psycD, aren't you doing a phd in CSD? I have a masters in CSD and while the research is related, it's not a clinical/professional degree. this forum is for speech path programs...

Wow, it is??? I must have missed that. Thanks so much for the clarification. My apologies if my presence here for the last 8 months has offended anyone.

There is no forum for PhD CSD, so I've been hanging out here the entire app cycle. If anyone has a problem with that, please feel free to file a complaint with the GradCafe police.

Edited by PsycD

I personally think it's fine that PsycD is here. PsycD has posted many helpful comments and brings a unique perspective as a Ph.D. applicant.  I don't understand why their presence would be offensive to anyone...

Does anyone have any comments regarding a PC vs MAC? Which type are you all bringing to grad school? I'm in the market for a new laptop (currently own a dell) and am not sure. I've seen students have issues with stuff that's not Mac compatible but soo many students still have them. Perhaps I should mention that I already own an iPad.

Does anyone have any comments regarding a PC vs MAC? Which type are you all bringing to grad school? I'm in the market for a new laptop (currently own a dell) and am not sure. I've seen students have issues with stuff that's not Mac compatible but soo many students still have them. Perhaps I should mention that I already own an iPad.

I've been thinking about the same thing. I'd say about 85-90% of the undergrads and grads in my classes use a Mac, I also use a Mac. We tend to use the clinic or labs for software and other analysis so I've never had a problem. I also own an Ipad and use that for all my in class notes etc and use my Mac for writing papers, homework, exams, quizzes, etc. My Mac is pretty old so I'll be getting a new one, possibly desktop in the next year or so. Once I got a Mac there was no going back lol My fiance' hated Macs (for no reason lol) but he got PC laptop and prefers mine now. I think it's a personal preference but a lot of people like the Mac since it's iCloud compatible with the Ipad which is nice. I wish they were cheaper though! 

Edited by emikate51

I will be bringing my macbook and hoping for the best!

I took a graduate course on AAC and the professor gave us semester copies of boardmaker. She was able to give us Mac and PC compatible cds. I'm hoping this is a common trend!

I just bought a tote to use for grad school from this website.  It's a great cause - the woman who runs the business hires women in the Detroit area who would not otherwise be able to work.  

Ooooh I love it. Thanks for sharing, Sayjo!

I've been spending more time thinking about what bag to purchase than I care to admit. I started browsing this site ebags to help me browse.

I just bought a tote to use for grad school from this website.  It's a great cause - the woman who runs the business hires women in the Detroit area who would not otherwise be able to work.  

This is really cool!!! Thanks for sharing, sayjo :D

I recently got a backpack from focused space. I love their bags because they are really space efficient. Lots and lots of pockets, although they don't look like those backpacks that you'd take for hiking. I mean... just look at the picture below!!

FS_CARRYING.jpg

Backpacks tend to look less "professional" than other types of bags, but focused space has some backpacks with leather patches too and I think those are not too casual. I know I'll be commuting on a train so I really didn't want to do a tote or a messenger bag.

I really wanted to do a messenger bag because I love the look, but I'm getting rid of my car and moving to a "walking city" so comfort is more of a consideration. Also, my school is on the side of a mountain and walking campus feels like hiking, so I have to go for support over style.

I really wanted to do a messenger bag because I love the look, but I'm getting rid of my car and moving to a "walking city" so comfort is more of a consideration. Also, my school is on the side of a mountain and walking campus feels like hiking, so I have to go for support over style.

Yup, same here. I'm really not looking forward to carrying heavy, 800-page hardcover books. *sigh*

Same here! I really wanted a messenger bag because it looks more professional (I LOOOVE the Cambridge Satchel Company bags) but I think I will have to make do with a backpack. Unless someone knows of a comfy yet stylish messenger style bag. Like you, I'm probably devoting way too much thought to this, lol.

OMG yes!! I love my planner.  Have you all heard of Erin Condren planners?  It's where my current planner is from and I LOVE it!! You can customize the cover & it's super heavy duty. :)  Here's the website.

I just got my Erin Condren planner yesterday and I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks for sharing, sayjo! 

I will definitely be investing in a rolling backpack - my shoulders/back/neck were so screwed up from lugging around my papers/laptop in tote bags during undergrad. I will probably be getting this JanSport one.

I would love to get a new laptop, but I just don't know if that is a wise financial decision since I'm already pretty broke! I am one of those students who does absolutely everything on their laptop. I have a 5-year-old Vaio. I use Microsoft OneNote to take notes and I could not recommend it enough! I love having all of my notes in one place, and I love being able to quickly search through all of my notes for phrases/words. It has been so helpful. I don't think that OneNote is compatible with Macs (although it might be?) and for that reason alone I would stick with a PC.

This may sound weird, but recently I've been going to estate sales and I've been finding tons of unused/unopened craft supplies for dirt cheap. I have a nice little collection going, haha. I will also be buying a lot of my apartment stuff (appliances, cookware, decor) from estate sales to keep costs low. If you're poor like me, I would definitely look into those lol.

• 2 weeks later...

How much do current students really have to tote back and forth to campus/clinic every day? Are most students expect to bring their books to class or do you tend to just bring your computer/note books? It's been a few years since I've been in college now and I'm not sure how much I'm gonna have to lug around! Also, has anyone found it helpful to buy digital copies of their textbooks/publications?

It depends on your campus and program.  My program gives grad students a locker in which they can keep belongings.  However, the locker fits about 2.5 books before it is full. :(  During midterm / paper-writing season, I used my books frequently.  Some professors require you to bring the book to each class, others do not. 

For clinic, it depends on the type of client you have.  For my adult clients, a folder was more than enough to hold what I needed.  For child clients, I've seen classmates carry multiple crates of toys and materials for just one session.  Ultimately, you will develop a system based on what works for you.

A classmate of mine has a rolling tote and it's made her life significantly easier.

Yeah, I looked at the tiny lockers when I was there. I'm trying to find a place that is within a mile of the building because I really wanted to walk to campus but that may just not be possible in the winter, especially if I am having to carry a ton of stuff back and forth.

I don't think I am going to buy a rolling tote just yet, but maybe after I accrue a lot of therapy material? I just hope I won't be frantically searching for one last minute.

Yesterday I bought notecards (and I want to buy a notecard holder), notebooks, dividers, a planner, a laminator and a paper cutter. Is it normal to have a separate binder for each course? If so, whats a suggested size?? - I'm trying to be organized, which is something I was not during my undergrad. lol

ALL opinions are greatly appreciated!!! Thank you  :D

Also, I wanted to buy a clipboard.. I've read a few blogs where people mentioned a clipboard that has storage, but the one I found in Staples seemed flimsy. Any suggestions?

Edited by Stephanie2323