Supplies for SLP Graduate School

Did you know you can buy the whiteboard material at the Home Depot? You can save money and personalize your own whiteboard!

How fantastic! I did not know that. Thank you!

You can also get dry-erase board paint and apply it directly to the wall. I'm not sure if you can make it different colors or not. They also make metallic paint to make any surface ready for magnets. It would be neat to make your own wall that was both magnetic and dry-erase.

blue pens for writing notes & signing reports,

I think for many clinics, reports and official documentation are typically supposed to be kept in black ink. The standard in our clinic as well as the SNF where I do my off-campus placement is for session notes and record forms to be done in black. So stock up on good black pens too!

You can also get dry-erase board paint and apply it directly to the wall. I'm not sure if you can make it different colors or not. They also make metallic paint to make any surface ready for magnets. It would be neat to make your own wall that was both magnetic and dry-erase.

Maybe paint with the metallic paint, then use the dry erase paint over it? I wonder if that would work! 

As a current SLP student, I definitely recommend binders, and lots of them. My biggest issue has become what to do with notes when courses are over. So much of your notes will be useful when you're in practice (my current supervisor has all her notes in binders on her shelf that she refers to). It's nice to just have a giant binder on "articulation" for example, and just refer to it when needed. 

As a current SLP student, I definitely recommend binders, and lots of them. My biggest issue has become what to do with notes when courses are over. So much of your notes will be useful when you're in practice (my current supervisor has all her notes in binders on her shelf that she refers to). It's nice to just have a giant binder on "articulation" for example, and just refer to it when needed. 

Good point! Some materials lend themselves better to being kept in binders, and others in filing cabinets. Then I got thinking...do they make binders that can be hung in filing cabinets? And sure enough, they do!

Large hanging binders:

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/binders-accessories/specialty-binders/hanging-binders/product-ARS25723?R=20459362

Thinner hanging binders:

http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/binders-accessories/specialty-binders/hanging-binders/product-ARS25724

Binders with removable ring strip:

I'm not sure a typical student would have the money to buy this kind of stuff, but it's good to know these things are out there!

Maybe paint with the metallic paint, then use the dry erase paint over it? I wonder if that would work! 

That's what I was thinking! It would be pretty cool to have that as a wall in your study. Unfortunately I am a poor college student who rents and can't paint  my walls. 

I think for many clinics, reports and official documentation are typically supposed to be kept in black ink. The standard in our clinic as well as the SNF where I do my off-campus placement is for session notes and record forms to be done in black. So stock up on good black pens too!

When I worked as a special Ed teacher in a public school my supervisor recommended that all of us staff (teachers, SLPs, OT) use blue pen for authenticity sake. If issues ever come up with lawyers and such she said blue pen marked documents are irrefutable proof (like of a parent agreeing to something). She'd seen black ink be questioned as a photocopies before.

Thanks for the tip on getting lots of binders. I'll wait until the back to school sales when they're a quarter or so :)

I've been eyeing purchasing a Surface RT for a while now, but I think I saw something about needing to install certain software programs for grad school.  If that's the case, I'll need to get the more expensive Surface Pro, or go for a real laptop.  Anyone know more about the software used in SLP programs?

Not sure about SLP programs, but I think it would be good to get a laptop/computer if you don't have one already. (Although maybe the Surface RT can count as a laptop since it runs on windows.) As for the tablet, I'm getting a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition :) I had wanted an iPad air since the moment it came out because I wasn't happy with the display on my old iPad, but when I was finally ready to commit to buying it, I found out that there was an awesome tablet for hand drawn notes / figures / annotations. It seemed like the perfect note taking device. Not sure how it actually is in terms of performance, but I'm excited to find out! I'll let you know how it goes

Not sure about SLP programs, but I think it would be good to get a laptop/computer if you don't have one already. (Although maybe the Surface RT can count as a laptop since it runs on windows.) As for the tablet, I'm getting a galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition :) I had wanted an iPad air since the moment it came out because I wasn't happy with the display on my old iPad, but when I was finally ready to commit to buying it, I found out that there was an awesome tablet for hand drawn notes / figures / annotations. It seemed like the perfect note taking device. Not sure how it actually is in terms of performance, but I'm excited to find out! I'll let you know how it goes

Please do! I told myself I would treat myself to an iPad Air for grad school, but I'm hesitant now. When are you getting the galaxy note?

I got it already! I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I probably could have waited for grad school (you might want to if you're getting it specifically for grad school, esp with how fast technology changes), but honestly, I wanted a new tablet since the beginning of this semester and with the amount of time I spent on my old iPad, I thought it would be worth it. The nice thing about the iPad Air is that there are tons of SLP apps on it, but in the end, I wanted a tablet for better note taking. I figured that if I really want to use those SLP apps, I still have my old iPad. And if I want something for those apps in the future, hopefully I'll be making money to be able to just get an iPad then. For now, I'm going to buy a device for what I need now. I'm going to try to stay super organized and keep digital copies of my notes whenever possible. 

I remember going through papers from old classes and seeing so much stuff I wanted to keep but not having any space for it. Really hoping this saves paper and space! I'm excited!

You can't go wrong with the iPad Air though, especially if you use notability (to take class notes and record lectures) and iannotate (for research articles, pdfs, etc) [both paid apps]...but the galaxy note has the potential to be even better because there are tons of  times where trying to position things exactly on the pdf was really annoying and time consuming. The note is awesome for handwritten stuff and comes with a default note taking program. I'm not sure how good the galaxy note is for note taking compared to the iPad Air yet, but it seems like it was created specifically for that purpose...and for artists and engineers. It seems more flexible to me...if I want to draw diagrams on top of pdfs, powerpoints, etc...or if I want to just draw, I'd have that freedom. I don't really know though...this is a bit of speculation on my part since I've never really gotten to use a galaxy note. (But I've spent way too much time reading up on iPad air vs GS note!)

Do you own an iPad now?

I have the galaxy note 2014 and think it's great, for the reasons you were talking about. I'm not in school just now so I don't feel I've used it to its full potential, but I am happy with it so far. Hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!

I got it already! I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I probably could have waited for grad school (you might want to if you're getting it specifically for grad school, esp with how fast technology changes), but honestly, I wanted a new tablet since the beginning of this semester and with the amount of time I spent on my old iPad, I thought it would be worth it. The nice thing about the iPad Air is that there are tons of SLP apps on it, but in the end, I wanted a tablet for better note taking. I figured that if I really want to use those SLP apps, I still have my old iPad. And if I want something for those apps in the future, hopefully I'll be making money to be able to just get an iPad then. For now, I'm going to buy a device for what I need now. I'm going to try to stay super organized and keep digital copies of my notes whenever possible. 

I remember going through papers from old classes and seeing so much stuff I wanted to keep but not having any space for it. Really hoping this saves paper and space! I'm excited!

You can't go wrong with the iPad Air though, especially if you use notability (to take class notes and record lectures) and iannotate (for research articles, pdfs, etc) [both paid apps]...but the galaxy note has the potential to be even better because there are tons of  times where trying to position things exactly on the pdf was really annoying and time consuming. The note is awesome for handwritten stuff and comes with a default note taking program. I'm not sure how good the galaxy note is for note taking compared to the iPad Air yet, but it seems like it was created specifically for that purpose...and for artists and engineers. It seems more flexible to me...if I want to draw diagrams on top of pdfs, powerpoints, etc...or if I want to just draw, I'd have that freedom. I don't really know though...this is a bit of speculation on my part since I've never really gotten to use a galaxy note. (But I've spent way too much time reading up on iPad air vs GS note!)

Do you own an iPad now?

I don't own an iPad at the moment, but I have a macbook pro and an iphone. I'm happy with these two products, but taking notes on PDF files on my macbook I found to be frustrating (for the same reasons with positioning on the document). I've seen people take notes on iPad Airs with keyboard attachments, and it looks so easy! Plus it's so much lighter. I'll have to make some good comparisons between the two to figure it out.

I was also thinking of getting an HD Kindle? I'm not sure if it's the same, but I'm wondering if getting ebooks for classes would be more convenient. I love hard copies of books, though, but it might be better. 

When I worked as a special Ed teacher in a public school my supervisor recommended that all of us staff (teachers, SLPs, OT) use blue pen for authenticity sake. If issues ever come up with lawyers and such she said blue pen marked documents are irrefutable proof (like of a parent agreeing to something). She'd seen black ink be questioned as a photocopies before.

Thanks for the tip on getting lots of binders. I'll wait until the back to school sales when they're a quarter or so :)

I totally understand what you are saying, but I am just speaking from what I have been told by supervisors. At our clinic reports are typically signed in blue, but there is a lot of other paperwork that is required to be done in black. I'm just saying that black pens are also a good investment!

Edited by aucinema

I totally understand what you are saying, but I am just speaking from what I have been told by supervisors. At our clinic reports are typically signed in blue, but there is a lot of other paperwork that is required to be done in black. I'm just saying that black pens are also a good investment!

I think this just varies so much from school to school!  My professor at USU wanted everything done in blue ink. He said that all students at the USU clinic had to use blue ink.  So...I guess buy both black and blue just to be safe? (Or wait until the semester starts...)

I think this just varies so much from school to school! My professor at USU wanted everything done in blue ink. He said that all students at the USU clinic had to use blue ink. So...I guess buy both black and blue just to be safe? (Or wait until the semester starts...)

Better to be over prepared! :-)

Edited by aucinema

My list:

Backpack

Ink Pens

Snow Boots

Sanuk Flip-Flops

A 4-year supply of Kleenex to catch my tears

Alcohol

My kind of supply list. I will be adding comfort food though. Oh, and I don't think I will be needing snow boots for the heat I am about to endure. 

My kind of supply list. I will be adding comfort food though. Oh, and I don't think I will be needing snow boots for the heat I am about to endure.

You're going to need buckets of sunscreen and a humidifier instead. I just left Tucson last week. After just 4 days in the desert, I sounded like I had Tuberculosis and my hair looked like tumbleweed.

No lie... the day after I received my acceptance letter, I went to office depot and bought one of those awesome, collapsible rolling carts to throw binders, materials, files, whatever in! I've already been using it to carry stuff around for NSSLHA events. It's fabulous for keeping things in and secure so they don't get smashed around in your backpack!

These posts are very helpful. I would never have thought of some of these on my own until it was needed. Hopefully someday I will have a reason to obtain/use these materials (by getting accepted!)....

I have the galaxy note 2014 and think it's great, for the reasons you were talking about. I'm not in school just now so I don't feel I've used it to its full potential, but I am happy with it so far. Hope you enjoy yours when it arrives!

I got it already! I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I probably could have waited for grad school (you might want to if you're getting it specifically for grad school, esp with how fast technology changes), but honestly, I wanted a new tablet since the beginning of this semester and with the amount of time I spent on my old iPad, I thought it would be worth it. 

So I spoke with my parents about how I am planning on purchasing a tablet for graduate school, and my dad apparently bought the samsung galaxy 2 tablet 10.1 for work, but rarely used it, so he handed it over to me! That saves me some money! I'm still trying to figure everything out. It's not the newest model, but seems to have a lot of potential. I don't see what note taking device there is already on here? I'm looking for apps that I can get that might aid me in taking notes during class and/or studying. Unfortunately the apps you mentioned that you used for the iPad aren't in the android market :( 

the galaxy 2 10.1 and galaxy note 10.1 are different devices. The note has the S-pen for taking notes, its a stylus with a button that slides inside the tablet. 

Edited by AuD2018

I have a question on laptops. I am a Mac person, but I am leaning towards a PC because I am worried about having to use software incompatible with Mac. For instance, I had to use SALT software in one of my post-bac courses, and I had to use a campus computer. Is this likely to be an issue in a grad program? I sooo want a new Mac, but I don't want to regret it later!