Anyone already made a (formal) decision?

artichoke203

So I was just wondering if any one has formally accepted and declined their offers. Is is too early because April 15 is still almost a month away? (I am really sure about enrolling in my top choice, but still haven't heard back from an ok-choice -- probably a reject anyway)

Also, when writing "Decline" emails to people I've talked to in schools I'm not planning to attend, is it necessary to tell them where I plan to enroll, or just thanking them is ok?  -- something along the line "Thank you very much for meeting/talking/answering my questions... I have considered my options carefully and decided..." 

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!

I have already formally accepted an offer to a Ph.D. program and declined another.

This was the format of my decline email:

"Thank you very much for your offer of acceptance to University of X. I enjoyed visiting the program and learning about the research going on there. Unfortunately, I am declining the offer, as I have accepted an offer at another program.
Thank you again,
Momo"

I don't think it's too early to let the schools that you are sure you will not be attending that you want to decline their offer.  This way, they can free up the spot for someone on the waitlist!

I have formally declined a few offers but have yet to accept one. Since I don't know where I'm going yet, my emails usually consist of me thanking them for the time they took to tell me about their program, telling them that I've been accepted to other programs with better faculty match, more funding, etc. and that though I do not know which university I will be attending in the fall, I would like to respectfully decline their offer of admission.

Thank you iPsych! The point about the waitlist is a good one -- I haven't thought about that. Guess I should start sending my emails then! Congrats on your many offers!

thank you! and good luck making your final decision :)

I accepted an offer before hearing back from one school. I'm withdrawing my application from the remaining school, so I'm in a similar boat!

I'd imagine the grad admissions people don't really care that much about the details unless they ask for them specifically. For example, the school I accepted had an option when I notified them that read "I'll be declining this school for the following reason", then provided a list of possible reasons, including fill-in-the-blank. Otherwise, I can't picture admins pouring over every letter that is obviously a "nope" and wanting to take in all the details!

I say keep your e-mail brief, like two sentences. Unless you e-mailed a POI; you should politely inform them in whatever (reasonable) amount of words you require if you'd had contact with them in the past.

Don't forget to make it easier on the people processing your e-mail and include application account information if you were provided any!

I am in Canada so we don't do the April 15 thing.  I have formally accepted my offer from UofT and will be taking myself off the waitlist for the  other university I applied to.  It feels good to know the next year is officially decided!

Edited by smpalesh

I formally accepted an offer earlier this month. I hadn't yet heard back from a few of my schools, but no matter--the offer was right, the school was right, the location was livable, the match with PI was great. By the time the school formally made the offer, I didn't want to go anywhere else. :P

I formally accepted an offer earlier this month. I hadn't yet heard back from a few of my schools, but no matter--the offer was right, the school was right, the location was livable, the match with PI was great. By the time the school formally made the offer, I didn't want to go anywhere else. :P

Same here.  I accepted my offer VERY early in March and declined the others once I had submitted all the necessary paper work a few days later.

I declined one offer yesterday despite not hearing back yet from my first choice. I've already been accepted by another school that would be my first choice if I lived closer, so I knew I wouldn't be going to yesterday's school no matter what. I waited for a long time because they made it sound like some funding decisions could be made in the spring (I was accepted in December), but the time that I would hear about that long shot has clearly passed so I declined.

Weirdly, they used an online form that asked where I was going instead and why. There were only two options, more affordable and better reputation. There was no way to submit the form without sharing. My reason was a combination of fit/affordability/reputation/proximity, but by then they'd annoyed me so I picked reputation. :P

I formally accepted about two weeks ago and it feels great (: I had also turned down other offers very early in the game that I was SURE I wasn't going to attend. Others that I was actively considering I kept around until I sent in my formal acceptance. Then I declined. I still haven't heard back from one school at which I interviewed, but I assume at that it's a rejection. So no worries. 

I informally accepted mine a few weeks ago, but sent my signed contract/acceptance priority mail yesterday. :D Feels good. Even got on a list for an apartment, arranged a summer internship -- it's great to have everything set up.