Waitlist hope dwindles. . .

Await

Response to my update letter (which they welcomed since I applied at the end of December and a lot has changed since then):

Thanks again for sending along this update. While we have so far had a good yield, we have not yet made a decision about any of our waitlisted applicants. If it turns out that we are unable to admit you for this fall, I once again want to encourage you to reapply this winter.

Does "A GOOD YIELD" jump out at anyone else? Sounds like they might only be taking a couple people off the list. . . And so the agony continues. The last time this person wrote to me he was much more friendly (and lengthy!) and person said that they might even take people off the waitlist before the 15th if it looked like they weren't going to hit their target number. Guess that didn't happen. Tough year for grad school admissions. . .

I had stellar recommendations (one from a Pulitzer Prize winner! another from someone who has written about 10 recs for the same school and every person has gotten in), a 3.7GPA from an Ivy, above the average GREs for the program, and from everyone who read my essay-- a compelling case, story, and read! Ugh. . . And to make matters worse, a family member got his PhD from the same school, started one of the programs there, and taught there for decades. But he died when I was 10, so no recommendation, but still the family expectation. . . just feeling great. Thanks for reading.

Tough situation. I applied to two schools, and have been waitlisted for my only hope since March 25th. The two schools are in the same city and I was waitlisted at the newer, less reputable of the two. I was hoping that the top school would have made offers to those accepted to the school that I'm waitlisted on and I would be made an offer when they declined the offers to the less reputable school. They offered 10 spots 9 of which are full and it's been four weeks today (the time they had to respond at the better school). If I don't hear this week I'm probably screwed. I waited so damn long.... and the app process is a tonne of work. F*ck.

Await, I feel your pain! I'm waitlisted at USC and its not a fun thing. Im a very stellar candidate (no Pultzer-prize recommendation) and I was inititally surprised that I got wait-listed. It hurts. I'm thinking that I should hit up a member of my extended family, who's a highly-regarded, retired,UCLA professor, for a letter of rec - before he dies!

Await your story sounds crazy and very distressful. I hope things work out for you. Remember with the financial crisis they could be making all kinds of tough decisions this year about cutting budgets.

This situation sucks, undoubtedly, but a few things jumped out:

I had stellar recommendations (one from a Pulitzer Prize winner! another from someone who has written about 10 recs for the same school and every person has gotten in), . . . And to make matters worse, a family member got his PhD from the same school, started one of the programs there, and taught there for decades.

I'm not saying that you wouldn't be an excellent candidate for this program, but I do wonder at how much emphasis you put on other people as part of your application. Why should it matter if someone who was related to you taught at this school? You're not that person, and generally, "being a good PhD student/scholar" isn't a proven genetic trait, right? And while bad LORs might keep you out, I'm not sure good LORs give you more than a boost in general--that is to say, they don't get you in. Maybe the program understands your pedigree, so to speak, but wonders if you can stand on your own feet?

I'm not saying you can't! Not even a little. But if I were on an adcom, and your packet emphasized your connections rather than your abilities, I would wonder.

But if I were on an adcom, and your packet emphasized your connections rather than your abilities, I would wonder.

Hi, I wrote this in a huff so I wasn't clear: I didn't reference that connection in my application at all. I referenced it here because I was just saying it's a shame he died when I was young because he would have been a great person to write a recommendation as he'd know me AND the program well and could speak to the fit. And there is a family expectation-- mostly from my grandmother. I don't think things really work on the connection-system anymore. Or at least I would like to believe that.

As for my other recommendations: They know me well. I know what they had to say. And they have the kind of credentials that make them reliable, qualified sources. I actually think my essay was the strongest piece of my application. The weak spot is that I am a career-change candidate.

I'm bummed out because it's a sort of Catch-22 situation where it's hard to break into the kinds of jobs I want to do without the degree, apparently hard to get the degree without those kinds of jobs . . . And in terms of education programs, I could probably help myself get in next year by getting a sex change.

Await,

Honestly, the response seems like a form letter. And in this whole thing, what I've learned, is that there are no rules, and there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to this process. When I accept this (which usually happens for a fleeting moment) then it all makes sense.

I feel very similar. I was told that I would be notified by the end of this month. As time goes on, I feel less and less sure of a decision in my favor. I have mentioned on other threads that I was told by the director that they pick people from the wait-list that they deem complementary to the other students-- whatever that means. So, if I'm not picked, I guess I wasn't complementary enough. :lol:

I, like you, have thought about sending another email off-- but, what about calling? Do you think that will come off as too overly persistent? And do we really have anything to lose?

I am sure that the program you applied to had a huge applicant pool with experience in the field you are interested in. Perhaps, this is what they were going on, this process is truly a mystery. Good luck!

Okay finally some news!!!!

can you help me? I don't want to get too excited but this is what I received today form the graduate coordinator:

Dear kaybee

Many thanks for this request. You are the first on our revision list, and it is very likely that you will receive an offer soon.

Sincerely,

Grad Coordinator

Should I be celebrating? Or should I just hold on to RUPA (rejected until proven accepted)

Thanks guys!

Should I be celebrating? Or should I just hold on to RUPA (rejected until proven accepted)

Thanks guys!

Sounds like the best possible position you could be in. Given that it's still early, I'm sure you'll get in! But yes, don't pop the Dom until the final decision comes-- mostly because getting the affirmative is truly something to celebrate!

Good luck kaybee!

End game for me.

Received the standard email directing me to a decision on "ApplyYourself".The decision began "We regret to inform you. . ." When I saw the email I figured it was bad news on the heels of the "high yield" email from above and the fact that the original waitlist decision said we'd be notified after May 15th. I also read a tweet (oh yes the admissions person is on Twitter!) around April 15th commenting on having 40-some people at the admit weekend, which is close to the target program number. From the letter it sounded like they're not going to the waitlist at all this year-- which is quite different than last year, when they took 11 people. Makes applying next year a bit more nerve wracking. . .

But there is a blessing in disguise! I had started to think that a different program (well they're considered "tracks" within the M.Ed) is a better fit for me. And now instead of being anxious about that on top of everything, I have plenty of time to figure it out! At least they make the admissions process easier when reapplying. . .

And to end on a personal note: I got engaged this winter, so it has been a very happy spring with the exception of this. I'm surprisingly relieved. And of course my fiance is happy to have me stick around. I might just be taking off immediately after our wedding NEXT summer. . . For your sake I hope I don't see you on this forum next year, but all the same, it would be fun to recognize some names. I've been surprised by how supportive, insightful, and just damn good people have been here. Thank you all for reading and especially for commenting! Best of luck to you!

Response to my update letter (which they welcomed since I applied at the end of December and a lot has changed since then):

Thanks again for sending along this update. While we have so far had a good yield, we have not yet made a decision about any of our waitlisted applicants. If it turns out that we are unable to admit you for this fall, I once again want to encourage you to reapply this winter.

Does "A GOOD YIELD" jump out at anyone else? Sounds like they might only be taking a couple people off the list. . . And so the agony continues. The last time this person wrote to me he was much more friendly (and lengthy!) and person said that they might even take people off the waitlist before the 15th if it looked like they weren't going to hit their target number. Guess that didn't happen. Tough year for grad school admissions. . .

I had stellar recommendations (one from a Pulitzer Prize winner! another from someone who has written about 10 recs for the same school and every person has gotten in), a 3.7GPA from an Ivy, above the average GREs for the program, and from everyone who read my essay-- a compelling case, story, and read! Ugh. . . And to make matters worse, a family member got his PhD from the same school, started one of the programs there, and taught there for decades. But he died when I was 10, so no recommendation, but still the family expectation. . . just feeling great. Thanks for reading.

that really freaking SUCKSSSS! but congrats on your engagement!!!!!!! love really trumps all...no doubt you will get in next year!