MA placement records this year

ianfaircloud

Hello, everyone. I am slowly hearing about placement records from MA programs this year. Here's what I know now:

Georgia State's program has seven students admitted to PhD programs so far. These offers are Indiana University (#24), UC Irvine (#29), University of Pennsylvania (#29), Boston University (#44), Florida State University (#44), University of Missouri (#50), and University of Western Ontario. I don't have complete information on Georgia State's wait-lists.

If the wait-lists come through, Brandeis University looks like this: Yale (#7), Michigan (#4), Cornell (#14), Wisconsin (#22), Washington University in St. Louis (#31), and UC Riverside (#31). Another person was admitted to London School of Economics to study government.  If wait-lists don't come through, the record looks much weaker (but is "better" than Georgia State's record).

I will share my data on Tufts, NIU, and Milwaukee when I have more complete information. I have no data for Virginia Tech. 

For what it's worth, Tufts's placement last year is still much better than Brandeis's any year, including this year. It's important to note why people do well in these programs and whether the good placement is tied closely with the area of interest.

Does anyone have more news to share? If so, please post it!

In case you're interested in programs that are not Leiterific,  

The University of Florida has three students who have received offers from PhD programs. Offers include Arizona State University (UR), SUNY Albany (UR), SUNY Binghamton (UR), and Wisconsin (22). 

Edited by kant_get_in

Hello, everyone. I am slowly hearing about placement records from MA programs this year. Here's what I know now:

Georgia State's program has seven students admitted to PhD programs so far. These offers are Indiana University (#24), UC Irvine (#29), University of Pennsylvania (#29), Boston University (#44), Florida State University (#44), University of Missouri (#50), and University of Western Ontario. I don't have complete information on Georgia State's wait-lists.

If the wait-lists come through, Brandeis University looks like this: Yale (#7), Michigan (#4), Cornell (#14), Wisconsin (#22), Washington University in St. Louis (#31), and UC Riverside (#31). Another person was admitted to London School of Economics to study government.  If wait-lists don't come through, the record looks much weaker (but is "better" than Georgia State's record).

I will share my data on Tufts, NIU, and Milwaukee when I have more complete information. I have no data for Virginia Tech. 

For what it's worth, Tufts's placement last year is still much better than Brandeis's any year, including this year. It's important to note why people do well in these programs and whether the good placement is tied closely with the area of interest.

Does anyone have more news to share? If so, please post it!

I have it from a professor at Virginia Tech that a student from that MA program has accepted a PhD offer from CUNY Graduate Center. 

Though not as many higher ranked schools as last year, the 2014 applicants from Talbot's MA have the following results (as far as I am aware):

Acceptances to PhD programs - UMass Amherst, Syracuse, UC Santa Barbara, Oxford (MPhil), Fordham, Missouri, South Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, SUNY Buffalo, Florida State, Hawaii, Marquette, Fuller Seminary (theology),   

Wait lists to PhD programs - Loyola Chicago, Purdue, and Saint Louis (SLU) (2). 

It's likely there a re few more of which I am unaware and I will edit this post if and when I hear of them. 

Though not as many higher ranked schools as last year, the 2014 applicants from Talbot's MA have the following results (as far as I am aware):

Acceptances to PhD programs - UMass Amherst, Syracuse, UC Santa Barbara, Oxford (MPhil), Fordham, Missouri, South Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, SUNY Buffalo, Florida State, Hawaii, Marquette, Fuller Seminary (theology),   

Wait lists to PhD programs - Loyola Chicago, Purdue, and Saint Louis (SLU) (2). 

It's likely there a re few more of which I am unaware and I will edit this post if and when I hear of them. 

Wait did no Talbot's get into Notre Dame this year?

I wish I could upvote this like eight times.

But in seriousness, these are some impressive stats from some non-Leiter MA programs! (Not that I'm too surprised.)

I laughed as well when I saw the comment!

Little known though it may be, students have gone from Talbot's MA program to good schools (NYU, Oxford, Rutgers, Princeton, UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, USC, Texas, Northwestern, UVA, to name but a few).   

Edited by Wait For It...

I'm hearing from three sources that UW Milwaukee has an outstanding placement record this year. We're talking unprecedented, perhaps, for UW Milwaukee. I want to verify some of this, but here's what I'm hearing. Each line represents a separate student's best admission offer to-date. These are all MA placements. I'm shocked and very happy for those at UW Milwaukee.

T11-20

T10

T21-25

T10

T21-35

T36-50

T21-35

T11-20

T21-35

T21-35

T21-25

I'm hearing from three sources that UW Milwaukee has an outstanding placement record this year. We're talking unprecedented, perhaps, for UW Milwaukee. I want to verify some of this, but here's what I'm hearing. Each line represents a separate student's best admission offer to-date. These are all MA placements. I'm shocked and very happy for those at UW Milwaukee.

T11-20

T10

T21-25

T10

T21-35

T36-50

T21-35

T11-20

T21-35

T21-35

T21-25

I have heard from two people that this list is correct or very close to correct. 

I have one other piece of information about UW Milwaukee: of the 14 people who applied, just three haven't received offers. That's very good! Few departments have such a large share of applicants doing so well. That's 79% of its applicants placed into T50s. 29% of applicants into T20s.

Tufts typically has a pretty nice share doing well. I'll post when I have more complete info.

Brandeis has around 57% of its total applicants into top-50s, 71% into at least one PhD program. Brandeis has between 14 and 43% into T20s, depending on what happens with wait-lists.

I actually think it's better to think in terms of T20 than T10 and T11-20. Because who's going to say that, e.g., Cornell isn't an amazing place to study philosophy. Really it would be helpful to think in terms of how many were placed at the T4, i.e. NYU, Rutgers, Princeton, and Michigan, since these are an order of magnitude better, in my view, than Harvard, Pitt, Yale, etc. (Not saying I wouldn't give my right arm for Yale.)

So if you think in terms of this, then programs like Brandeis and Tufts look a *little* better in terms of this. It might be elitist (in a bad way) to think like this. But I studied with someone who may end up at a T4, and I benefited from it.

Sorry to ramble, but look again at UW Milwaukee's placement:

4 of 14 students admitted to a T20.

6 of 14 to a T21-35.

1 of 14 to a T36-50.

3 of 14 admitted nowhere.

This puts UW Milwaukee and Brandeis in a race for second or first place, in terms of placement records, depending on what happens with Tufts. (Waiting on NIU, Tufts, Virginia Tech) The race between UWM and Brandeis this year will be decided by wait-lists. If Brandeis gets movement on the wait-lists, then its 43% into T20s possibly 'wins'.***

***Of course, there's way more to this than the numbers...

Edited by ianfaircloud

I have heard from two people that this list is correct or very close to correct. 

I have one other piece of information about UW Milwaukee: of the 14 people who applied, just three haven't received offers. That's very good! Few departments have such a large share of applicants doing so well. That's 79% of its applicants placed into T50s. 29% of applicants into T20s.

I actually think it's better to think in terms of T20 than T10 and T11-20. Because who's going to say that, e.g., Cornell isn't an amazing place to study philosophy.

Even moreso, some programs that are lower ranked still have excellent placement records (see: Georgetown, Johns Hopkins) and some of them are remarkably strong in certain areas despite having a low rank (see: Florida State for free-will, Johns Hopkins for German Idealism).

I'd also like to point out that UW Milwaukee had a pretty similar placement record last year (a better proportion of T20 placement, but less overall reliability):

5 of 11 into T20

1 of 11 into T21-35

1 of 11 into T35-50

1 of 11 into Unranked

3 of 11 Unplaced

Edited by Monadology

More on UW-Milwaukee for those interested. The past two years have placed EXTREMELY well, but they have also been very large class sizes for UWM, and several people re-applied this year from previous years for a number of reasons. Some were shut out, but others had personal reasons.

UConn has accepted two people from NIU, although neither of those people has yet to accept their offer (which presumably means that they have equal or better offers on the table).

UConn has accepted two people from NIU, although neither of those people has yet to accept their offer (which presumably means that they have equal or better offers on the table).

Equal or better to UConn? So like, what? A tenure-track position at UConn?

I actually think it's better to think in terms of T20 than T10 and T11-20. Because who's going to say that, e.g., Cornell isn't an amazing place to study philosophy. Really it would be helpful to think in terms of how many were placed at the T4, i.e. NYU, Rutgers, Princeton, and Michigan, since these are an order of magnitude better, in my view, than Harvard, Pitt, Yale, etc. (Not saying I wouldn't give my right arm for Yale.)

What are you basing the "order of magnitude" better on? From my perspective, depending on one's interests, there isn't much difference between a Michigan and a Harvard, for example. 

As for MA placement records, I know that UMSL's MA program has placed people in Arizona (me) and Marquette. AFAIK, we were the only two people that applied to PhD programs (which makes us 2/2, but a terrible sample size). We also placed people into a few different law programs. 

What are you basing the "order of magnitude" better on? From my perspective, depending on one's interests, there isn't much difference between a Michigan and a Harvard, for example. 

As for MA placement records, I know that UMSL's MA program has placed people in Arizona (me) and Marquette. AFAIK, we were the only two people that applied to PhD programs (which makes us 2/2, but a terrible sample size). We also placed people into a few different law programs. 

MattDest, the usual weaknesses of 'overall rankings' apply to my analysis of overall quality of faculty. 'Overall quality' rankings by nature leave out important details.

Equal or better to UConn? So like, what? A tenure-track position at UConn?

Huh? I mean there's lots of schools out there I'd consider better than UConn, should I list them all?

Talbot School of Theology at Biola University has an MA program in Philosophy. 

I know it's not Ph.D. admissions, but I just saw the schedule for the Berkeley-Stanford-Davis grad conference, and you all cleaned up. I know a good number of people who got rejected from the conference (I honestly had no idea beforehand that grad conferences were competitive at all, but apparently they are--or at least this one is!). Out of twelve slots, three of the speakers are from Talbot/Biola; Berkeley is the only other school with that many speakers presenting (the other slots, for those who were curious, went to students from Stanford, Irvine, Davis, CSU Long Beach (x2) and SF State).

I've been speaking with people at Tufts, since I'm still trying to make my decision.  I get the feeling they were disappointed this year because they had mixed placement. I think they still did very well, but compared to last year's slam dunk where they placed 8 people in 8 very good schools, they were surprised.

One person was shut out, one only on a waitlist, and then acceptances at Duke (2), Brown, Western Ontario, University of Texas – Austin, Indiana, Johns Hopkins. Also, the following waitlists: UNC (2), Arizona, UC Irvine. 

I've been speaking with people at Tufts, since I'm still trying to make my decision.  I get the feeling they were disappointed this year because they had mixed placement. I think they still did very well, but compared to last year's slam dunk where they placed 8 people in 8 very good schools, they were surprised.

One person was shut out, one only on a waitlist, and then acceptances at Duke (2), Brown, Western Ontario, University of Texas – Austin, Indiana, Johns Hopkins. Also, the following waitlists: UNC (2), Arizona, UC Irvine. 

Ouch.