wishlists

ProTrans

I'm seriously considering making an amazon wishlist to see if relatives will help me afford all the random shit I'm going to need to move across country for graduate school.

But I also can't help but feel shy about it?  Like it's somehow super exploitative or selfish?

But I really do need the help getting basic shit like a backpack, printer, etc.

Has anyone else done this before?

It depends on your relationship with them, I think. I'm sort of the family oddball on both sides, so my confused relatives have been giving me money in lieu of gifts for years. When I was younger, I saved most of it, so that was what actually allowed me to afford two field schools down the road. When I graduated from college, I didn't send out announcement cards or anything, but my parents (who are separated) were so proud of me they bragged to every relative they could, & as word traveled down the "enormous Irish Catholic family" grapevine, congratulatory cards & checks started arriving. In other words, they asked on my behalf without actually asking, if that makes sense.

That said, when I finish my M.A., I'll probably send out announcement cards. Neither side of my family has many advanced degree holders, & I live so far away now that I likely won't see most of them for months after I graduate, so it's I think a good way to stay in touch & let them all know what I'm up to. If they want to send me money, cool!; if not, cool! More than anything, it's a nice way to keep my families in the loop that I'm mostly out of.

I don't think its that bad of a thing to do but in line with what pears said, I think having a family member do it for you is a great way for you to come off a bit less selfish about it (not that it seems that selfish to begin with). You could have a parent of sibling send an email to family members, detailing the hard work you put into the application process and how excited they are for you but that you are nervous about affording the items on the wish list. I would just be careful not to include things like movies and stuff on it. I would limit it to backpack, printer, computer case, etc... Things that you truely do need for school.

What about asking to borrow money so that you could buy the things you mentioned? If you explain your school plans, the fact that you have been working hard for years, indicate your career plans and how this program will be of great benefit, followed by a list of things you need to buy.... You may find that relatives will just give you a monetary donation to help you out or buy some of those items on the list as a gift.

Good luck!

I think it's a super good idea to do, if they're supportive they'll help you out! 

Unfortunately for me I don't have that option. :(

I considered doing this myself, but then I decided not to when I realized most of what I need I can get free/cheap when I get there or from home. I think it's not a bad option if you have family members that want to help out, but I would proceed with caution. If you are close with your family, at some point they may ask "If there is anything I can help with, let me know," at which point you point them to the wish list. I am fortunate in that I am not moving terribly far from my family (most of us live in Queens or Long Island I am moving to the Bronx) so I know I can probably acquire some of the old furniture family members are planning on putting into storage or tossing. That's what my older cousin did when she moved into her own apartment for law school and it helped immensely.

Edited by kimmibeans

I'm seriously considering making an amazon wishlist to see if relatives will help me afford all the random shit I'm going to need to move across country for graduate school.

But I also can't help but feel shy about it?  Like it's somehow super exploitative or selfish?

But I really do need the help getting basic shit like a backpack, printer, etc.

Has anyone else done this before?

To go along with something that pears mentioned, asking for this assistance in lieu of birthday/Christmas gifts can be a great idea. 

I think it's a super good idea to do, if they're supportive they'll help you out! 

Unfortunately for me I don't have that option. :(

:( booo

sorry you don't have that option acarr

Hmmm, so I'm thinking

backpack

printer / ink

tablet (very ambitious, I know)

umbrella ('cause it's Seattle and I'm moving from SoCal)

also the DSM V

I kind of want to throw a few grad school guides in there, any ideas?

So smart to think about new clothing for a new climate! I moved from California to D.C., and my best going-away gifts were warm coats, scarves, hats, and gloves. You may want to add rain boots and a rain coat to the list. 

Hmmm, so I'm thinking

backpack

printer / ink

tablet (very ambitious, I know)

also the DSM V

I kind of want to throw a few grad school guides in there, any ideas?

Depends on your style, but well made rain boots or waterproof boots (e.g., Tretorn & Sorel boots of varying heights & interior fluffiness) are a good investment. I'm not sure what the worst rainfall to expect in Seattle would be, but having a nice pair of fluffy, short Sorels here in MT has proven to be an awesome decision. Also, again, depends on your style & the details of the weather, but having a couple of different coats can be useful: one for rain & heavy snow, one for less intense weather. I have an insulated, waterproof snow jacket, & a medium weight wool peacoat.

Other investments that were easier for me to order online: coffee maker & filters, metal bed frame that can collapse/be taken apart after being put together, light bulbs, bulk dry foods, pillows, Dirt Devil or other small vacuum. I don't have a car, though, so those were the things that would've been a nuisance to try to haul on a bike!