anyone who doesn't enjoy music?

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Is this weird? I was thinking about it and I realized I legitimately don't like music... of any kind. I hear music quite often but it's always in the background. I used to go to bars a lot and so I'd hear music. I have to admit, I found some music at least less annoying than others. I preferred music that didn't take over the mood of the bar, like fast pounding dance music. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone hear legitimately doesn't understand the fascination with music. I know it's probably natural for humans to enjoy music but I just can't get into it. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Also, let me ask you. What's the deal with these people who are like, "I couldn't imagine my life without music" ... or ... "music saved my life" ?

Just to add, I used to be (and still am sometimes) a fan of hip hop. But, to be honest, it's because I've always been a fan of lyrics. I'd read poetry but I'm not really into modern poetry. I like the punchlines and rhyme schemes in rap. You really don't find that in poetry. But, outside of the lyrics, the sound of hip hop is pretty awful.

Also, I can't remember the last time I listened to music for enjoyment. Probably years. And even then it was just to see if I liked it and it didn't do anything for me. When I get tired of the silence, I usually turn on sports radio. To be honest, even hearing music kind of annoys me. 

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

I can totally relate to this! I don't get annoyed by music unless it is loud and bothersome, for example when my favorite restaurants decide to have live music on friday nights... my version of hell. Usually, I am just completely indifferent to music. I sometimes listen to it in the car or while I run but not because i enjoy it, just because listening to the lyrics gives me something to do so that Im not completely bored. I usually prefer to listen to audiobooks instead anyway.

I dont get the fascination with music either... to me there is nothing at all special about it. I mean, it fine. It seems to me that most of the world is in love with it and I just dont get it either. I almost feel like whatever people have going on in their brain that makes them love music is just broken in me. I wonder if I even hear the same thing that others hear when they listen to it... because what I hear is fine, but nothing that I would love and spend time downloading off the internet.

Its nice to know that another person exists who feels like this... I thought it was just me!

Edited by bsharpe269

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I wouldn't say I'm tone deaf either. I mean, I totally get the rhythm, tones, moods, etc. I just don't find it very special. I don't see what it does to people. Like the energy and passion in the singer's voice is supposed to provoke some emotions and make you feel better? Or the beating of the drums is supposed to fill you with energy? I don't mind it if it's mellow and quiet and playing in the background. For example, sometimes it feels a little weird if I'm at a restaurant or something with absolutely no background music. And I appreciate how it enhances scenes in movies and stuff. I would just never go out of my way to listen to music. Especially not in my free time. That's the last thing I would do if I had a few hours to kill. 

Also, I never understood the influence music has on other aspects of your life. If you're into listening to a certain kind of music in your down time, that's cool. But I never understood how it impacts the clothes you wear, way you talk, the people you associate with, your religious and political beliefs, your lifestyle, everything. I don't see the connection. And people take music way too seriously. Insulting someone's music can be a bigger insult to some people than insulting their God. Some people take it as like an attack on their entire person. 

Person A: "The snare sounds a little off." 

Person B: "WE'RE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!"

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

I'm similar as well. I can go weeks or a few months without any desire to listen to music. On my drives up and down the East Coast (~15hrs) I enjoyed the silence...my friends think it's pretty weird. Most music just doesn't do anything for me, and the majority of it isn't worth listening to.

Glad I'm not the only one!

I don't really get the people who say "music is my life" and listen to it all the time, wherever they go, and say that they need it in some way to help them process or feel certain emotions - the kind of people who always have an earbud in at work and who talk about their favorite musicians or band members as if they know them personally and are their best friends. I do however enjoy music, and I turn it on at home to listen a couple of times a week and enjoy it, but I don't need it like an IV taped into my arm so that my life has its own soundtrack. I can't stand listening to music while I'm trying to enjoy something else or work on something else important (for example, I'd never work out or go for a walk while listening to music, and I can't stand it while I research or study. I mostly like to listen to music if I'm cooking, or if someone else is over and we're dancing to it. That's about it.

I'm a person who considers music to be an important part of my life - although I'm not especially obsessed with bands, just individual songs. 

* There are some songs that remind me of a particular place/time in my life. For example, when I was in London "Little Talks" by Monsters & Men was playing on the radio constantly, so when I hear that song I think of London (and the happy memories associated with it).

* Some lyrics perfectly capture my mood at a particular time. "And it feels so good to hurt so bad, and suffer just enough to sing the blues." Just like a line in poetry or a novel. 

* I particularly like songs with interesting rhythms or heavy drumbeats. A lot of modern pop lacks that kind of musicality, which is why I dislike much of it.

I don't need to listen to music all the time, though - I can hear it perfectly well inside my head. ;)

I am guilty of being the person obsessed with music. Honestly, if I don't listen to music every day I feel like something is missing....

People say 'music saved my life' for different reasons.  Some people mean that it literally saved their life as in they became a succesful musician and otherwise would have been dirt poor. What most fans mean when they say this is that they were going through a difficult time in their life and music helped them cope and pulled them through. I know that I can say I've had such an experience multiple times.

I understand some people not being that 'into' music though, I don't think it's a problem. People just gravitate towards different things and have different personalities. I will never understand the appeal of sports but some people live for sports. I find that most 'hardcore' music fans are really sensitive people - I know I am. Maybe it takes a sensitive sort of personality to be able to really get lost in a song and have it impact you in a strong way?

Oh and the whole fashion thing - for a lot of people, music is a lifestyle or a sub-culture. Punk music has it's own sub-culture and life style, way of dressing, the same way that hip hop has it's own life style and fashion too. And when I say this I don't just mean 'popular fashion.'

Edited by MakeYourself

And people take music way too seriously. Insulting someone's music can be a bigger insult to some people than insulting their God. Some people take it as like an attack on their entire person. 

Well, as I said before, artists are sensitive people, and attacking a musician about their music is sure to hurt their feelings the same way attacking an artists's painting would hurt theirs. Or hell, even in the same way as attacking a paper that an academic wrote.

Also, I never understood the influence music has on other aspects of your life. If you're into listening to a certain kind of music in your down time, that's cool. But I never understood how it impacts the clothes you wear, way you talk, the people you associate with, your religious and political beliefs, your lifestyle, everything. I don't see the connection. And people take music way too seriously. Insulting someone's music can be a bigger insult to some people than insulting their God. Some people take it as like an attack on their entire person. 

I wouldn't say that "music saved my life," but it has definitely made my life richer. There are songs that I can identify with important times in my life, or that remind me of things that I've gone through. Every time I hear the opening rift to Smells Like Teen Spirit, it's like I'm 14 again, for about 3 or 4 seconds... and when I hear When I come Around by Green Day, or You Oughta Know by Alanis Morisette, I'm back in freshman year of college. (Yeah, I'm ancient).

I don't really listen to new artists...  I've had the same favorite rock band for over 20 years.. since they came out, pretty much. It's not just about the music or the lyrics (though that's obviously a big part of it), but also what the band stands for. I wouldn't say that the band has "influenced" me, but rather that I continue to love them because I feel that as they evolved, they more or less went along the same path I did. That, of course, comes from the lyrics, in large part... it's not just "music." Lyrics are a form of poetry... and just like a poem, or a work of literature, can make an impact on someone, so can a song lyric.

As far as influencing how people dress... I don't know. A lot of what you are saying really applies to teens, who are kind of searching for an identity... like the whole emo fad of a few yeas ago. It's not the "music" so much as what the culture might represent for them (ie. rebellion against parents). If a 20 or 30 something is "dressing" in a way that's influenced by a band...I'd worry a bit.

I wouldn't say I absolutely need music, but it definitely can brighten my day or keep me entertained. I always enjoyed running while listening to music, or biking to campus while listening (even though it was only a 5 minute bike ride). I also play the violin, so it has kind of become a hobby for me now. 

I'm probably the opposite of you. You said you enjoyed the lyrics of songs, because you enjoyed poetry. I actually hate poetry, and never cared for the lyrics. Part of this probably goes along with how I enjoy classical and electronic-dance-techno type of music. No lyrics needed for me!

In general, I share your feelings, but mostly about things like painting/art and English/poetry type things. I've really tried to learn to appreciate them, but these things just leave me bored. :c

I can somewhat relate. I don't need to listen to music every day. Normally I prefer to read over listening to music. While driving, I listen to the news. I rarely go to music concerts or shows or festivals. I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars for a concert ticket.

Now that I reflect, I only listen to music when I'm doing a mundane, mindless task that requires some stimulation (cleaning, boring paperwork, bad traffic, etc).

Not sure what is hard to relate to people who enjoy or are passionate about music. You could not like music, but is it really that hard to relate?

Music is a form of expression, which is a central component of every human culture, that has incredible depth in composition, style, performance, and production. Humans, since the dawn of time, have been both drawn to expressing themselves through a medium or experiencing other people's artistic expressions. Music is part of that. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Not sure what is hard to relate to people who enjoy or are passionate about music. You could not like music, but is it really that hard to relate?

Music is a form of expression, which is a central component of every human culture, that has incredible depth in composition, style, performance, and production. Humans, since the dawn of time, have been both drawn to expressing themselves through a medium or experiencing other people's artistic expressions. Music is part of that. 

Not sure what is not sure to understand. 

Yeah, music is a form of human expression. So is stand-up comedy and sculpting. But a lot more people relate to music than stand-up and sculpting. I understand it. I get it. Music has dimesions -- emotions, passion, rhythm, skill, sound, repetition, etc. I just don't find it that enjoyable. I think it all kinda sucks. It doesn't do anything for me. 

What do you mean by asking me if it's really hard to relate? Are you saying that because I think it's silly that people take music way too seriously? Yeah, I think it's silly. I get that people love music. Nothing wrong with that. But I know people who genuinely hate entire groups of people because of the music they listened to. In high school, the rockers despised the very being of the Hip Hop fans. Sure, you don't have to want to hang out with them. If music is important to you, I'm sure you go to concerts and listen to music with your friends. So you don't have to be friends with fans of other genres. But to hate them? And to be so attached to music that a casual insult of your favorite artist rips at the core of your very being? A little too serious if you ask me. 

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

Not sure what is not sure to understand. 

Yeah, music is a form of human expression. So is stand-up comedy and sculpting. But a lot more people relate to music than stand-up and sculpting. I understand it. I get it. Music has dimesions -- emotions, passion, rhythm, skill, sound, repetition, etc. I just don't find it that enjoyable. I think it all kinda sucks. It doesn't do anything for me. 

What do you mean by asking me if it's really hard to relate? Are you saying that because I think it's silly that people take music way too seriously? Yeah, I think it's silly. I get that people love music. Nothing wrong with that. But I know people who genuinely hate entire groups of people because of the music they listened to. In high school, the rockers despised the very being of the Hip Hop fans. Sure, you don't have to want to hang out with them. If music is important to you, I'm sure you go to concerts and listen to music with your friends. So you don't have to be friends with fans of other genres. But to hate them? And to be so attached to music that a casual insult of your favorite artist rips at the core of your very being? A little too serious if you ask me. 

Again, what's your point of reference? Teens or adults? Because I don't know adults who behave the way you describe (well, based on music, anyway), though I've known groups of teenagers who "hate entire groups of people" for a lot of reasons.

Keep in mind it's not so much the MUSIC but rather what subculture is associated with that music... goth kids have a different subculture than, say, hip hop fans. Part of being a teen involves defining yourself and your identity on the basis of your peer group, which could very well be a part of a subculture. And well, identity formation starts in part through "identifying against" others who are defined as outsiders. Music may be one of the most visible (audible?) expressions of subcultural identity, but that doesn't mean that the MUSIC, per se, is the cause of "hatred."

Similarly, the idea that "a casual insult of your favorite artist rips at the core of your very being?" Well, two thoughts. One, an adult who is self-confident won't give to craps who likes or doesn't like their music. Two, do you go out of your way to insult other people's "favorite artists" simply to piss them off? (I suppose I can kind of picture that, given you're kind of a provocateur, but I digress ;)

Edited by CageFree

I often don't enjoy music. At least in the context of everyday listening, which is how I interpret the thread. And for me, it is in large part because of how I perceive those who do to excess.

I find people who need a soundtrack to every moment of their lives not only difficult to relate to, but sometimes downright annoying in my everyday life--folks who broadcast what they listen to by cranking the volume up, at home or in transit. I have coworkers that I can never get the attention of without theatrics and physical contact because they keep earbuds in all day. Music from the lab next door can distract me when I'm working through more mentally strenous tasks.

Not everyone does this, obviously, and few enough feel inconvenienced in any way regardless. But enough do  that it actually makes me feel generally negative about hearing music from electronic gizmos (radio, mp3, whatever). There aren't many "recreational users" (of whatever) that feel as unselfconscious about potentially instrusive behavior, or use their habit in an actively beligerrent manner, as music listeners (eg a neighbor asks for the music to be turned down at 3am--what do you think the likely response is?). Probably simply because there are many, many more music listeners in the world than those attached to other habits. And before anyone tears me a new one for suggesting that music listening is inconsiderate, consdier that specific context--I have learned to associate some negative experiences with a particular subset of people who really enjoy music, thus music is less enjoyable to me by association.

Anyway, I bet most folks would find it hard to relate to me in this particular characteristic. There is no universal context on which everyone relates at all times, so it shouldn't be surpirisng that not everyone feels the same way about music, or even understands where a passionate music lover is coming from.

PS I find teens and adults are equal opportunity offenders, both in terms of annoyances and in terms of defining themselves by their musical tastes. I think it is more like a certain percentage of the population, of whatever age, has this proclivity than an age specific thing. Those teenagers grow up and keep going to (eg) Rolling Stones concerts, and I get to relive the highlights with them at work the following day.

Edited by Usmivka

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Again, what's your point of reference? Teens or adults? Because I don't know adults who behave the way you describe (well, based on music, anyway), though I've known groups of teenagers who "hate entire groups of people" for a lot of reasons.

Keep in mind it's not so much the MUSIC but rather what subculture is associated with that music... goth kids have a different subculture than, say, hip hop fans. Part of being a teen involves defining yourself and your identity on the basis of your peer group, which could very well be a part of a subculture. And well, identity formation starts in part through "identifying against" others who are defined as outsiders. Music may be one of the most visible (audible?) expressions of subcultural identity, but that doesn't mean that the MUSIC, per se, is the cause of "hatred."

Similarly, the idea that "a casual insult of your favorite artist rips at the core of your very being?" Well, two thoughts. One, an adult who is self-confident won't give to craps who likes or doesn't like their music. Two, do you go out of your way to insult other people's "favorite artists" simply to piss them off? (I suppose I can kind of picture that, given you're kind of a provocateur, but I digress ;)

I agree with you for the most part. The extended rant about not understanding why people take music so seriously and the impact on their lifestyle was more of a side bar. My main point of the thread was just asking if there are any other people who really don't care about music. I didn't even realize I didn't care about music until a few days ago. It just kinda struck me that it annoys me when I hear it being played in public (like Usmivka just nicely described) and I never actively seek to listen to music in my free time. There are times when it doesn't bother me (like in the background of a movie, or being played at a bar/restaurant), but I really don't understand the fascination with music. I just moved in with a person who listens to it every day. Her phone is dead by noon because she's been playing Pandora nonstop since 7 am. My building has a sauna and I hate it when people don't have the decency to not to blast music from their phone in there. 

Anyway, I'll answer a few of your questions. Most "responsible" adults probably don't let music affect the way they talk, act, dress, live, etc. You're right about that. But I definitely wouldn't say it's just a teenage thing. A lot of the time, I've noticed, they might get into a certain genre of music in their teen years but the effects last the rest of their lives. Now, you're also probably right, it's more about wanting to associate with a subculture than the music itself. I'm not just blaming the music, but the music is usually embedded in everything about the culture. I'll give some drastic examples. I grew up in a rough area of Brooklyn so I was always exposed to "street life" and Hip Hop music. I met a lot of suburban kids in high school who were not from my area and not exposed to those things. These people really wanted to be a part of the Hip Hop culture. At first, it was probably innocent. The videos were all over the TV, the songs were all over the radio, and the fashion was all over the school. It's hard not to take notice. But then a lot of these people became deep entwined in these communities and went on to do things they probably never would have imagined. And not good things. I know people in jail, hooked on drugs, living with numerous felonies who came from these suburban communities. Now, I know it's not so black-and-white. I'm not trying to downplay other factors. But the music and the music's impact on fashion/culture is probably what initially drew them in. Then they started associating with people they would have never associated with. And then they started doing things they would have never done. These people are all in their 20's and 30's now and the effects are still there. 

Anyway, that was a bit extreme and may or may not be related to music, but I see a lot of those people. It's not an isolated incident. And it's not just Hip Hop. I see it more from Hip Hop because of where I live, but the same could be said for some of the "rough" subcultures like Punk. Now, I know there's more to it and other factors and all that. I'm just saying that not all adults are as "grown up" and you're making them out to be. I think we forget about the larger world when we're isolated in academia for so long. 

And I don't purposely insult artists to provoke emotions. I don't really care about any artists enough to even insult them. I might casually say someone sucks but that's usually the extent of it. 

I agree with the other person that you are conflating two things here: identity as a group and the music they listen to. In your example, you are more talking about a sub-culture, and it's not just about the music, but the clothing, their collective identities, their activities, ect. 

I have never seen someone hate someone else because of the music they listen to.

Maybe it's easier for me to relate to people who enjoy music more than the norm because two of my close friends are huge music enthusiasts. They spend a lot of their time listening, recording, and producing music so I have been involved in 'that world.' To me, music is no different than any other interest someone has, whether they actually partake in the creation of it or just the enjoyment of it. 

Do you find it hard to relate to people because they have a keen interest in something you don't? That is more what I am getting at. I don't see the big deal, everyone is usually intensely interested in something. I mean, I don't like theatre or drama, but that doesn't mean I can't relate to a good friend of mine that is involved in that interest. It's something they enjoy, and I can understand why they do, that's all.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Do you find it hard to relate to people because they have a keen interest in something you don't? That is more what I am getting at. I don't see the big deal, everyone is usually intensely interested in something. I mean, I don't like theatre or drama, but that doesn't mean I can't relate to a good friend of mine that is involved in that interest. It's something they enjoy, and I can understand why they do, that's all.

I don't think I ever said I can't relate. At least that's not what I meant. I guess I'm saying I don't understand why music, of all things, has THIS MUCH of an impact on human beings. Sure, people are into theater and drama, but theater and drama aren't everywhere and I don't think they are as entwined in the identity of subcultures. I mean, I guess music is convenient. Not only is it something people find appealing, but it's also something that, like I just said, is convenient. You can multi-task with music. You can cook dinner while listening to music. You can knit a sweater while chopping carrots. So I get that part. 

What I don't get is how people don't get tired of music. I mean, for a lot of people it's ALWAYS playing. Any other interest would drive a person crazy after a while. Not music. 

I also understand that, like other interests, music is something to turn to if you want to vent or just relax. But there are other things you can do. You can read, exercise, paint, walk, etc. It just seems like more people would turn to music in their down time than reading or drawing or mountain climbing. I think the "convenience" thing probably plays a role. You don't really have to do anything when you listen to music. The music does all the work. Most people find the other things I listed to require too much effort. So, in a way, music is sort of a past time for the mindless. I don't mean that to insult anyone. Maybe just another way to look at it. 

Anyway, that was a bit extreme and may or may not be related to music, but I see a lot of those people. It's not an isolated incident. And it's not just Hip Hop. I see it more from Hip Hop because of where I live, but the same could be said for some of the "rough" subcultures like Punk. Now, I know there's more to it and other factors and all that. I'm just saying that not all adults are as "grown up" and you're making them out to be. I think we forget about the larger world when we're isolated in academia for so long. 

And I don't purposely insult artists to provoke emotions. I don't really care about any artists enough to even insult them. I might casually say someone sucks but that's usually the extent of it. 

I haven't been in academia for so long... in fact, I was away from academia for about 12 years before going back into it, so that's not my point of reference.  :)

I definitely see your examples as subcultures rather than "musical tastes," and you're right, some people stay in those subcultures for the rest of their lives. I grew up listening to grunge, wore flannel and chucks back in the day, but now that I'm (ostensibly) a grown-up, I wash my hair and wear clothes in colors other than black and grimy. Still, I love grunge and probably will the rest of my life.... and I think MOST adults, at least in my experience, have similar experiences. One of my best friends grew up listening to pop punk, but she doesn't wear purple hair or paint her nails black anymore, you know?

Anyway, this is pretty far off the original point. For the record, the love of music is definitely a matter of degree and there's nothing wrong with that. My S/O loves showtunes and 70's rock, two genres I pretty much detest, but generally prefers audiobooks to music when driving, traveling, or working out. 

BTW, I was joking about the last question, in case you didn't notice. :D

Edited by CageFree

Lol what the hell is wrong with being influenced by a subculture or contributing to a subculture? Might as well not exist if we're going to start calling adults irresponsible for being influenced by culture.

I get it if music is not your 'thing' and that's completely fine, but since you can't relate to it, then maybe you should try not to dictate what other people do or how they let music influence them. Because most likely you don't really understand what music is about.

Just because you have a problem with music doesn't mean that adults who consider music a big part of their life are immature or irresponsible.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Lol what the hell is wrong with being influenced by a subculture or contributing to a subculture? Might as well not exist if we're going to start calling adults irresponsible for being influenced by culture.

I get it if music is not your 'thing' and that's completely fine, but since you can't relate to it, then maybe you should try not to dictate what other people do or how they let music influence them. Because most likely you don't really understand what music is about.

Just because you have a problem with music doesn't mean that adults who consider music a big part of their life are immature or irresponsible.

I don't think dressing and/or acting like your favorite musical artist makes you irresponsible. That's why I used the " " air quotes around the word responsible. CageFree was implying that dressing and acting like a rock star was more of a teenage thing and that most responsible adults grow out of it. I don't really agree with that. You can have green hair and a nose ring and still be a responsible adult. Then I gave an extreme example of what I've witnessed many times -- a suburban kid falling in love with Hip Hop and then partaking in a negative lifestyle with many consequences. But that was a bit of a side bar. 

So, anyway, I never said people aren't responsible adults. I just asked what's the deal with people letting music influence how they walk, talk, act, dress, live, etc? No one really answered me yet. 

But, that too was a bit of a side bar. My main point was asking if anyone else doesn't find themselves really caring about or ever craving to listen to music. 

I don't think dressing and/or acting like your favorite musical artist makes you irresponsible. That's why I used the " " air quotes around the word responsible. CageFree was implying that dressing and acting like a rock star was more of a teenage thing and that most responsible adults grow out of it. I don't really agree with that. You can have green hair and a nose ring and still be a responsible adult. Then I gave an extreme example of what I've witnessed many times -- a suburban kid falling in love with Hip Hop and then partaking in a negative lifestyle with many consequences. But that was a bit of a side bar. 

So, anyway, I never said people aren't responsible adults. I just asked what's the deal with people letting music influence how they walk, talk, act, dress, live, etc? No one really answered me yet. 

But, that too was a bit of a side bar. My main point was asking if anyone else doesn't find themselves really caring about or ever craving to listen to music. 

I never used words like "responsible," though. What I said was that the idea of "hating everyone who doesn't like your music" is something far more common among teens because it can be linked to the identity formation process. And I did answer your question to the best of my ability... that it's not "music" that influences you as much as the subculture it represents.

Edited by CageFree

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I never used words like "responsible," though. What I said was that the idea of "hating everyone who doesn't like your music" is something far more common among teens because it can be linked to the identity formation process. And I did answer your question to the best of my ability... that it's not "music" that influences you as much as the subculture it represents.

Oh yea, I forgot about that part. Yeah, hating other people is more of a teenager thing. 

I don't hate people for not liking my music

I just hate people in general :)