Fall 2015 Applicants

I actually do this all the time, use TOR to look at scholars web pages and Academia.edu... The stats on my own are SO revealing that I started covering my own tracks!

That's a super good idea. Kinda weirds me out just how much I can unpack based upon locations. So much more aware of those borderline-plagarism cases where chains of footnotes appear suspiciously familiar, and then you see that the small town where the person spends the summer was repeatedly checking a paper... 

I actually do this all the time, use TOR to look at scholars web pages and Academia.edu... The stats on my own are SO revealing that I started covering my own tracks!

Why would applicants and/or grad schools use TOR?  Do you really think schools are investigating our surfing habits?  Just curious.  Never occurred to me.

Edited by RPCV Cameroon

What's TOR and why would someone use it?

TOR is basically encrypted browsing, to cover your tracks/digital paper trail when you visit websites.

Someone used encrypted browsing and spent a TON of time on my academia page, looked through my profile and every single paper. I have no clue where they were- Instead of flags there's a long series of question marks.

No, I don't think they're looking at our surfing habits, but they would be able to tell if, say, you live in Chicago and the night before their interview with you they see that someone in Chicago downloaded all their papers through academia.edu.

Edited by grad_wannabe

Ugh just finished my interview with NYU, via skype. Just with one professor, who was *super* nice. Which became important, because the connection was terrible. I live in a country where the infrastructure is extremely limited, so the call dropped every minute or two. We talked for an hour, but it felt like I had a chance to say basically nothing. And what I did say, I have no idea how much of it she actually heard. Heart breaking too because she wanted to ask about my master dissertation, which was really influenced by her research and I was so fired up about discussing it with her! And we never got there...

There was a lot of laughter at least and it felt like a nice conversation. But my oh my would I like to have another chance. If I have any other interviews, I will definitely be requesting that we arrange two ways to make the call - skype, but also that they call my mobile. Suggest others do the same!

Arizona State are you going to rear your head? 

Ugh just finished my interview with NYU, via skype. Just with one professor, who was *super* nice. Which became important, because the connection was terrible. I live in a country where the infrastructure is extremely limited, so the call dropped every minute or two. We talked for an hour, but it felt like I had a chance to say basically nothing. And what I did say, I have no idea how much of it she actually heard. Heart breaking too because she wanted to ask about my master dissertation, which was really influenced by her research and I was so fired up about discussing it with her! And we never got there...

There was a lot of laughter at least and it felt like a nice conversation. But my oh my would I like to have another chance. If I have any other interviews, I will definitely be requesting that we arrange two ways to make the call - skype, but also that they call my mobile. Suggest others do the same!

Speaker phone using landlines can always be a last resort if you need to talk to multiple faculty where internet and cell service is patchy or non-existent. 

Can somebody claim the Duke acceptance? I had an interview with them but it didn't go that great. They liked my proposal but I fumbled through some answers to questions and I didn't get great body language at the end. Would like to be able to cross this off my list I guess if it's not gonna work out.

Their goggling me according to my Academia page.  I enjoy this. 

Are you getting visits from the cities where your programs are?

Someone googled me last night in Virginia. I didn't apply anywhere near Virginia. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

Are you getting visits from the cities where your programs are?

Someone googled me last night in Virginia. I didn't apply anywhere near Virginia. 

Yup. 

...that moment when your relief that none of your schools are showing up in the results section yet turns to despair that none of your schools are showing up in the results section yet.

THIS x 10000000!

When I load the page, I am pretty sure I am feeling all the emotions.

Unrelated, but damn, there are a LOT of Princeton sociology rejections! Pour one out for the sociologists.

I just got an email invite to interview in person for my top choice program…….. and also am experiencing equal parts panic attack and equal parts overwhelming joy. I have no idea how to prepare for this, I have only had informal Skype interviews with my POIs, but never anything in person with multiple faculty. 

Does anyone have any tips or warnings? I have zero idea what to expect!  :unsure:

I just got an email invite to interview in person for my top choice program…….. and also am experiencing equal parts panic attack and equal parts overwhelming joy. I have no idea how to prepare for this, I have only had informal Skype interviews with my POIs, but never anything in person with multiple faculty. 

Does anyone have any tips or warnings? I have zero idea what to expect!  :unsure:

You should bop on over to the "interview prep" thread!  Anyone who has good advice should, too.  I'm sure we could all use it!!

Here is a series of questions that have been haunting me for the past two weeks: 

How often is it that programs interview only some of the applicants in their close-to-final list? Do you know of anyone who got in without an interview to a school which interviewed other applicants? Which schools interview ALL semi-finalists, and which only interview when they think they're better off if they interview certain people? Of course, anthropology-specific. 

Here is a series of questions that have been haunting me for the past two weeks: 

How often is it that programs interview only some of the applicants in their close-to-final list? Do you know of anyone who got in without an interview to a school which interviewed other applicants? Which schools interview ALL semi-finalists, and which only interview when they think they're better off if they interview certain people? Of course, anthropology-specific. 

I've been wondering EXACTLY the same things.

I've been wondering EXACTLY the same things.

I just asked this in the "faculty perspectives" thread ...  I hope someone with authority pipes up about it!  I'd love to know!

I had no interviews and several great admission offers with full funding. Not all schools interview, none of mine were schools that interview. The ones that do, do....

...do be do be do.

Sure, I understand that some schools do not do interviews at all, but I wonder whether there are schools that do a mix of both (they accept some with interview, some without). 

Sure, I understand that some schools do not do interviews at all, but I wonder whether there are schools that do a mix of both (they accept some with interview, some without). 

Last year I was accepted to Michigan with an interview while Sarab was accepted without. Basically, schools seem to do whatever they want. Consistency be damned.

Edited by daykid

Last year I was accepted to Michigan with an interview while Sarab was accepted without. Basically, schools seem to do whatever they want. Consistency be damned.

:) thanks daykid! this was the answer i was expecting, so now i can cling on to hope at least until i receive the rejection emails!