Fall 2015 Applicants

You haven't been rejected which is a good sign.  You could be on a wait list or they are still figuring out their acceptances and you made it past the first cut. 

ARGGGH!  There were those few early University of Oregon acceptances, and now several rejections, but I haven't heard anything and my application still says pending (or whatever).  What does it mean?  

I'm also having a hideous week at work, and seriously turning into this:

tumblr_nfc2e5NAX41qdy5eoo1_500.gif

Hi there! Massively long time lurker - gradcafe has become simultaneously my best friend and my most toxic relationship. I'm the UNC wait lister, moldy. Nope, no idea so far about where I am on the list, just a nice email saying that they were impressed with my application, but can't offer me admission yet (ah, the cruelty). I applied for the Social Formations and Processes track. Are you waiting to hear back?

Hi there! Massively long time lurker - gradcafe has become simultaneously my best friend and my most toxic relationship. I'm the UNC wait lister, moldy. Nope, no idea so far about where I am on the list, just a nice email saying that they were impressed with my application, but can't offer me admission yet (ah, the cruelty). I applied for the Social Formations and Processes track. Are you waiting to hear back?

Yes I am waiting to hear about admission. I am a medical anthropology hopeful. Who is your poi? I do hope you end up with good news!

Yes I am waiting to hear about admission. I am a medical anthropology hopeful. Who is your poi? I do hope you end up with good news!

Good luck! I called the department earlier this week and they said most decisions would be out this week, so if you haven't heard then maybe calling them wouldn't be a terrible idea. My POIs were Escobar and Middleton, though considering I want to study aspects of political economy in India, I don't know how I thought UNC would be a good fit. I'm blaming it on application-time delusions, and being enamored by the faculty's work in general! I do hope you hear good news though!

Edited by brandnewshoes

Good luck! I called the department earlier this week and they said most decisions would be out this week, so if you haven't heard then maybe calling them wouldn't be a terrible idea. My POIs were Escobar and Middleton, though considering I want to study aspects of political economy in India, I don't know how I thought UNC would be a good fit. I'm blaming it on application-time delusions, and being enamored by the faculty's work in general! I do hope you hear good news though!

Thank you! Good luck to you as well!

Trust me, you'll get used to it.  Once I moved out to my current west coast location after undergrad I went from super uptight New Englander to laid back, chillaxin' Pacific NW hippie in no time! B)

Anyone else just get a generic email from Hopkins? I just received the following:

"Your application for Ph.D. in Anthropology Program is now complete and will be reviewed shortly. For information regarding the status of your application be sure to log into your AY application account. You may also contact the department directly for more information. Contact information can be found here:http://grad.jhu.edu/academics/programs/."

At first I thought it was results, but it just says my application is complete and ready to be reviewed. Except I confirmed all my stuff was in at the deadline. Wondering if there's a mistake with my materials, or if everybody who applied there just got a similar notice...

keysopendoors - I got the same notice. I've also emailed back and forth with Richard, the academic coordinator, because there was some glitch with my writing sample. He said the faculty had reviewed the first few pages and asked me to send the remainder, which was garbled in the original upload. After I sent it, I got that email (today).

I assume that email is going out to whoever's application they're in the process of reviewing...

Anyone else just get a generic email from Hopkins? I just received the following:

"Your application for Ph.D. in Anthropology Program is now complete and will be reviewed shortly. For information regarding the status of your application be sure to log into your AY application account. You may also contact the department directly for more information. Contact information can be found here:http://grad.jhu.edu/academics/programs/."

At first I thought it was results, but it just says my application is complete and ready to be reviewed. Except I confirmed all my stuff was in at the deadline. Wondering if there's a mistake with my materials, or if everybody who applied there just got a similar notice...

keysopendoors - I got the same notice. I've also emailed back and forth with Richard, the academic coordinator, because there was some glitch with my writing sample. He said the faculty had reviewed the first few pages and asked me to send the remainder, which was garbled in the original upload. After I sent it, I got that email (today).

I assume that email is going out to whoever's application they're in the process of reviewing...

I got the same email, so I am assuming it did indeed go out to everyone. However, I did get another rather random email from them at the beginning of this month asking for a mini summary of my research interests in addition to the SOP. I was always pretty confused as to the purpose of that. Did anyone else get that email as well? 

I got the same email, so I am assuming it did indeed go out to everyone. However, I did get another rather random email from them at the beginning of this month asking for a mini summary of my research interests in addition to the SOP. I was always pretty confused as to the purpose of that. Did anyone else get that email as well? 

Hey mondinec and snowswirl, thanks for your responses. I also had the request for the mini summary. Glad to know it wasn't because they read my SOP and said, wtf is this guy talking about?

Same. Since I think it was "30 words or less" I figured they were skimming everything else, haha. 

On the topic of prestige, and reputation of the program and such....

When I was applying I would have said that these were so important, 2nd only to fit. But now that I'm actually doing my PhD I've changed my mind a bit.

After getting offers from top programs and some not-so-top programs and being in a position to choose, I realized that there was also the issue of support, funding, freedom, the 'feel' of the department, and so on... and so I turned down a few top programs and decidd on a less prestigious place because they offered me full funding, guaranteed for the program along with the freedom to do anything I wanted and no work commitment at all.

What I've realized is this allows me to do the things that really matter for the job hunting later: publish, go to conferences, network, collaborate, be involved in the discipline. Instead of being locked up as one of a many students competing against each other to get a meeting with a supervisor, I get all of my committees attention whenever I want, I don't have to worry about funding so I can research and write. I can teach if and when I want.

This isn't the way for everyone, but I would advise to remember that you're making decisions about your life, not the ideal life of an imaginary candidate or researcher or professor. So choose what is right for you. The university system is collapsing into a skills-based factory for churning out employable undergraduates, tenure and faculty control are being taken away, research money is drying up. Do what you love not what you think will give you the best career because the job market, the carerr expectations change, but you'll always have what you love.

I second Dan Jackson completely. I had one POI from a big name institution tell me in no uncertain terms the s/he (for anonymity's sake) was very surprised i was even considering another school. "You have to think about getting a job". Meanwhile, my would be adviser at that same institution totally understood my reasons for choosing a smaller, slightly less prestigious program (Brown).  I have on occasion wondered what if I had gone to the big name school, but at Browb my advisers have been fantastic, my cohort is super supportive and I have a financial stability that is really a luxury as a grad student. I absolutely don't regret my decision at all.

Edited by daykid

Another week begins and hopefully we will all be receiving some good news, some offers, some spots, some fantastic funding packages.  How is everyone holding up?  

This process is going to be the death of me. Whatever Foucault said about diffuse, anonymous power is exemplified by this feeling of sending one's best intellectual efforts into an institutional void! 

On a slightly saner note, does anyone know what Columbia's deal is? Do they interview? Or do they just not communicate with you till the very end when they kindly decide to reject you through an online portal? 

Well, apparently MIT HASTS sent out interview invites on Friday. I know of two people (one here on this board, one IRL) who received them.

I have no idea if that was all of them, and if this means I have not been advanced to the next round. 

I told myself I wouldn't take it personally or get upset, but ... a little bit devastated.  :(

I wrote to their admin office to inquire but haven't heard back. 

Edited by grad_wannabe

I know it's wrong but I definitely just reached out to a POI to reiterate my interest. I wanted to clarify why I hadn't visited yet (short version: was very sick last term, just resolved) and to assuage some fears they had expressed to me about students relocating from big cities. Breaking cultural taboos left and right ya'll. 

PhD applications be like

anigif_optimized-10151-1422654266-2.gif

I know it's wrong but I definitely just reached out to a POI to reiterate my interest. I wanted to clarify why I hadn't visited yet (short version: was very sick last term, just resolved) and to assuage some fears they had expressed to me about students relocating from big cities. Breaking cultural taboos left and right ya'll. 

PhD applications be like

anigif_optimized-10151-1422654266-2.gif

Firstly, big yes to that image. Secondly, I know it probably depends on your relationship/level of comfort with the POI, but is this an okay thing to do? How did you word it?