Fall 2015 Applicants

Sure, I understand that some schools do not do interviews at all, but I wonder whether there are schools that do a mix of both (they accept some with interview, some without). 

I had the same experience as Daykid: some people interviewed, some visited campus, others didn't do either. I chatted briefly on the phone with my then-POI (now advisor) just to make sure everything was in order with my application, but I wouldn't have called it an "interview." It really depends on the individual POI, how many compelling applicants there are for the same position in a given year, etc.

Thanks, guys - this is reassuring information!  I want to share a thread I've been enjoying over on the 'Waiting It Out' board: 

Anxiety-ridden prospective doctoral students, unite!

Hi guys, I applied to GWU because there was one professor whose interests fit mine, but in general I don't have much info about the program itself. I know it's not an old department with history so I wasn't sure how that would affect students' chance for getting jobs and stuff after getting their phds. If there is anything you guys can share about the program I will appreciate your input!

Hi guys, I applied to GWU because there was one professor whose interests fit mine, but in general I don't have much info about the program itself. I know it's not an old department with history so I wasn't sure how that would affect students' chance for getting jobs and stuff after getting their phds. If there is anything you guys can share about the program I will appreciate your input!

Prestige and pedigree matter in Academia.  If you want to do research and teach in a top program you probably need to be coming from a top program.  If you are coming out of a top program you will have a better chance at scoring a job cause of name recognition and because you've probably had more opportunities to make yourself a desirable candidate.   I don't know where GWU fits in though as far as top, middle, bottom. 

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I don't know where gwu fits in at all. I think it's a brand new program... which means, I keep thinking, it may be pretty diffcult to get a univ teaching job coming out of this program.

Hey Finefebruary,

i went to GWU as a undergrad if you have specific questions, feel free to pm me. While it's a new program in terms of PhD, the program itself is well established and has some great people. It also has some well known professors who will certainly fight for you when it comes time to get you on the job market.

Prestige and pedigree matter in Academia.  If you want to do research and teach in a top program you probably need to be coming from a top program.  If you are coming out of a top program you will have a better chance at scoring a job cause of name recognition and because you've probably had more opportunities to make yourself a desirable candidate.   I don't know where GWU fits in though as far as top, middle, bottom. 

I (partly) disagree. While prestige and pedigree do matter to a limited extent, more important is the professional reputation--and this is very different from "prestige"--of your POI and the other members of your committee. Neither, however, can substitute for an innovative and well-executed dissertation project. 

But the thing to remember is that it's hard to produce a really strong dissertation if you don't have advisors who are willing to challenge you and help you to shape such a project. Those advisors aren't necessarily going to be at "prestigious" schools, but they are likely to be people with a good personal reputation within their area of expertise. 

I have a question about SOP length. I’m working on my last application and realized last night that the graduate school website suggests SOPs should generally be no more than about 500 words. Since the department website makes no such limitation on length, and my SOP is currently about 970 words, how important do you guys think it is that I edit down my statement? I have a few days until the deadline, but I’d rather not have to lose 400 words.

Ajtz’ihb, I’d be particularly interested in hearing what you think, since this is for the school I believe you’re attending.

Thanks!

I (partly) disagree. While prestige and pedigree do matter to a limited extent, more important is the professional reputation--and this is very different from "prestige"--of your POI and the other members of your committee. Neither, however, can substitute for an innovative and well-executed dissertation project. 

But the thing to remember is that it's hard to produce a really strong dissertation if you don't have advisors who are willing to challenge you and help you to shape such a project. Those advisors aren't necessarily going to be at "prestigious" schools, but they are likely to be people with a good personal reputation within their area of expertise. 

Prestige was probably not the right word.  Professional reputation works better.  Ultimately, where you go and who you work with makes a difference when it comes to future hire-ability.

Prestige was probably not the right word.  Professional reputation works better.  Ultimately, where you go and who you work with makes a difference when it comes to future hire-ability.

Well I agree with you there.

I have a question about SOP length. I’m working on my last application and realized last night that the graduate school website suggests SOPs should generally be no more than about 500 words. Since the department website makes no such limitation on length, and my SOP is currently about 970 words, how important do you guys think it is that I edit down my statement? I have a few days until the deadline, but I’d rather not have to lose 400 words.

Ajtz’ihb, I’d be particularly interested in hearing what you think, since this is for the school I believe you’re attending.

Thanks!

I'm sending you a PM.

In general, I would make sure you're able to say what you want and need to and only worry about word limits if the department specifically requires them (or if the online application won't let you enter any more text).

Edited by Ajtz'ihb

Looking at the results page, SO much good news- interviews and acceptances in the same place! Congratulations to all of you! 

Is anyone also applying to Univ. of Pitts.? Any news from there?

My flight for St. Louis is booked.  Any tips or tricks for a day of interviewing and whatnot would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Team Anthro.

Not much in the way of advice aside from believe in yourself and be confident!  Best of luck!

I have a skype chat with folks from UCSB tomorrow. I think interview is to formal of a description. I think I've reverted back to my normal emotionally deadened self. I feel numb. No adrenalin rush this time.

Killing it!!!! Way to be a superstar.

So I just finished my phone interview with a program's DGS and my POI about 30 minutes ago.  At the start of the interview, the DGS said "Hi museum_geek, we think you have a very strong package and we are glad that you are considering our program.  This will be just as much of a chance for you to get to know us as it is for us to get to know you."  Then when we finished they both reiterated that they are very interested in me and that I will be hearing from them soon.

Should I put any stock in this?  Or is that just one of those meaningless platitudes interviewers throw out there to everyone they interview?  For the record, 2/3 of the interview consisted of me asking them questions about the program.

I have a skype chat with folks from UCSB tomorrow.  I think interview is to formal of a description. I think I've reverted back to my normal emotionally deadened self.  I feel numb. No adrenalin rush this time.   

You ANIMAL. 2/2! Not bad.

Does anyone else die a little when they see astronomy results? I always read the a---- and then feel like I'm going to faint.

THREE other people I know have gotten into programs this week (other disciplines) and it is making me so stressed out!

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

ARGGGH!  There were those few early University of Oregon acceptances, and now several rejections, but I haven't heard anything and my application still says pending (or whatever).  What does it mean?  

I'm also having a hideous week at work, and seriously turning into this:

tumblr_nfc2e5NAX41qdy5eoo1_500.gif