FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

I was admitted to Berkeley today. So, to add another perspective: I am coming in with an MA in Spanish linguistics and a one year research Master's in phonetics. 

Congrats!!! :)

I was admitted to Berkeley today. So, to add another perspective: I am coming in with an MA in Spanish linguistics and a one year research Master's in phonetics. 

I'm also a phonetician, and most of my research is on Spanish (/Portuguese)... so hi!! Are you coming to the open house?

Anyone else waiting on Georgetown? To the person(s) invited to the open house, would you mind sharing your specialization?

I'm also waiting to hear about Georgetown. The results page said that the person was applying to computational linguistics who heard today. I know that their committees review applications for the different concentrations separately, so I'm assuming the open house might also be for separate concentrations.

Does anyone have any other information for those who've applied for Sociolinguistics?

Guys, would it be appropriate if I sent an email to NYU asking why I didn't get an interview? I'm curious to see if there's something wrong with my application.

I don't think it would be inappropriate, but I am also not sure you would get the kind of reply detailing what you needed to do to improve your application, or any reply at all for that matter. This isn't anything personal. Faculty members often barely have the time to perform the adcom-related duties required of them, it might be too much to expect that they'll spend their time explaining to someone why they were rejected.

Who were you planning to email, by the way? The graduate director?

I don't think it would be inappropriate, but I am also not sure you would get the kind of reply detailing what you needed to do to improve your application, or any reply at all for that matter. This isn't anything personal. Faculty members often barely have the time to perform the adcom-related duties required of them, it might be too much to expect that they'll spend their time explaining to someone why they were rejected.

Who were you planning to email, by the way? The graduate director?

Hmm, I guess so.

I had a fifth recommendation letter for NYU, MIT and Harvard, and to be honest I only want to email them because I'm scared that my fifth letter writer said something bad. Well it wasn't the best fit for me, maybe that's why. And I would be ok with that. Maryland and UPenn are both better fits for me and are ranked higher, so I don't care much about NYU tbh.

Edited by Chiki

I had a fifth recommendation letter for NYU, MIT and Harvard, and to be honest I only want to email them because I'm scared that my fifth letter writer said something bad. 

I don't think this is the kind of information they would reveal, even if they were to respond to your email. 

Anyone else waiting on Georgetown? To the person(s) invited to the open house, would you mind sharing your specialization?

Hi! Also waiting on Georgetown. 

I'm also waiting to hear about Georgetown. The results page said that the person was applying to computational linguistics who heard today. I know that their committees review applications for the different concentrations separately, so I'm assuming the open house might also be for separate concentrations.

Does anyone have any other information for those who've applied for Sociolinguistics?

I kind of searched on the result page for history records, and it seems the computational concentration always get the fastest result while the Sociolinguistics branch is a bit late. Just for your reference.

They are just holding open house for the admitted one? The result page shows "accepted".

Guys, would it be appropriate if I sent an email to NYU asking why I didn't get an interview? I'm curious to see if there's something wrong with my application.

That would be appropriate, but please be aware that now is a very busy period for everyone at the department, so you might not get a very detailed response (if you get one at all). In any event, it might be better to wait until after the general meeting on admissions (that should be early Feb, but I don't know the exact date).

Also, I think it would be better to email your POIs from your main subfield rather than the Chair or the Graduate Director (unless they are your POIs, of course). They are the ones who most likely read your application file in detail.

And funchaku is right, of course, no one will ever directly reveal to you the contents of your recommendation letters, and I can bet they will also be very cautious about what they reveal indirectly.

Hi! Also waiting on Georgetown. 

I kind of searched on the result page for history records, and it seems the computational concentration always get the fastest result while the Sociolinguistics branch is a bit late. Just for your reference.

They are just holding open house for the admitted one? The result page shows "accepted".

I applied for computational, so that's why I'm stressin. My guess is they invite all of their first-choice people, wait to get yays or nays, and then start sending out more acceptances in March.

Getting notified that someone viewed your academia.edu page really makes you think how much extra information schools can get from looking up your name. I have a unique name so it's easy to search for me. There's nothing bad, but nothing that would help much (random mentions on my department blog, acknowledgement on a study I helped up with, honor roll in high school...lol).

Guys, someone posted a vague "Rejection" form Upenn in the result section.

If the poster is up here: Is it you just making assumptions?

Because I would agree with you - I am considering myself rejected form Upenn too - but I don't think it should be posted in the result section.

Or did you received some kind of notification for it?

At this point I would be glad to just be able of officially crossing some of my probable rejection off the list.

Hi guys - I'm new here! I was the one who posted the acceptance to UMaryland - I got an e-mail saying I was nominated for a grant, and that nomination comes with an acceptance to the program... Sorry if I got anyone stressed out thinking decisions have been made across the board for UM (which is what I thought!)...