FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

Hi guys - I'm new here! I was the one who posted the acceptance to UMaryland - I got an e-mail saying I was nominated for a grant, and that nomination comes with an acceptance to the program... 

I am curious as to what this means! Whether or not it directly signals acceptance, it's gotta be a good sign :) Note, however, that at the open house, most (if not all) candidates are still being vetted, so it might be good to be in interview-mode as opposed to accepted-students open house mode when you go there! In any case, congrats!

Ah! Maybe I misread it and it means that if I get that funding I'll be accepted - being international it's been hard to figure out what funding would look like at state schools... I just got so excited and jumped to conclusions :( ... I'll definitely be in interview mode at the Open House !

Hi guys - I'm new here! I was the one who posted the acceptance to UMaryland - I got an e-mail saying I was nominated for a grant, and that nomination comes with an acceptance to the program... Sorry if I got anyone stressed out thinking decisions have been made across the board for UM (which is what I thought!)...

Wow they must really want you! Haha :) I was told the committee was meeting this week to decide who to invite to open house. So anyone who's invited should probably hear today since it's the end of the week...

Oh wait I didn't see all of these other posts for some reason...now I'm confused...I haven't gotten invited either, Chiki! It's probably by POI like interviews were, so I don't think it's too late.

Ah! Maybe I misread it and it means that if I get that funding I'll be accepted - being international it's been hard to figure out what funding would look like at state schools

To the best of my knowledge, Maryland is a state school that offers full funding to international students. There are some state schools (e.g., UCSC) that don't have a lot of funding for international students, so they often do not accept any unless they are somehow exceptional. But at Maryland, I don't think your acceptance is contingent on you getting external funds, so I'd rest easy :)

Edited by funchaku

I'm also a phonetician, and most of my research is on Spanish (/Portuguese)... so hi!! Are you coming to the open house?

I am going to try! But I live in Paris and am not sure I can take off work.  

Perhaps tempranillo got notified a bit early because international status = more time/effort to arrange travel? Also, super-special grant nomination probably warrants notification! (Congrats, btw!)

I'm doing everything I can to stay positive, guys. It's not too late for us :P

The result page suddenly have a lot of Georgetown admitted.....

My heart is beating like.... I even had a dream about email and Georgetown last night, totally being ghosted with these results.

I'm wondering about the concentration of the program though. The grad admissions told me the size is extremely small, maybe less than 5.

Got an email from McGill saying I'm on the waiting list...

Now I have to wait until after April 15th to know for sure *sigh* ...but at least it's not a rejection (yet).

There is still hope!!!

Speaking of hope lol, has anyone heard from Stanford yet?? I know their open house is next month.

Not a peep. They usually send out open house invites during the last week of january or first week of february...I haven't seen anything in the results page, so they may just be doing things next week instead.

Not a peep. They usually send out open house invites during the last week of january or first week of february...I haven't seen anything in the results page, so they may just be doing things next week instead.

I'm glad someone is in the same boat! Ok, cool. Just wanted to check. From recent experience with UCSD, I know that people are not always notified of rejection promptly if not invited to the Open House haha. Just wanted to be sure no one else had heard.