FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

I didn't expect there to be anything during the weekend, but I got an email about a Skype interview with McGill!

I'm so nervous because it's probably my #1 choice. The writing sample I submitted (which also reflects one of my major research interests) is related to some research there, and coincidentally another class project I did last semester was also based on something different that's done there. The "fit" paragraph in my SOP was probably the most genuine among all my SOPs because my experiences with these research projects really influenced me as an aspiring linguist.

Basically, I don't want to screw this up. Any advice for McGill would be appreciated! :)

I didn't expect there to be anything during the weekend, but I got an email about a Skype interview with McGill!

I'm so nervous because it's probably my #1 choice. The writing sample I submitted (which also reflects one of my major research interests) is related to some research there, and coincidentally another class project I did last semester was also based on something different that's done there. The "fit" paragraph in my SOP was probably the most genuine among all my SOPs because my experiences with these research projects really influenced me as an aspiring linguist.

Basically, I don't want to screw this up. Any advice for McGill would be appreciated! :)

Nice to meet you! You seem to be my potential colleague; the same thing happened to me. I've been thinking that an interview would be a piece of cake, but as soon as it became [my]F reality, things look quite different.

I'm happily nervous. Good luck to both of us!

That's exciting! Bloomington is supposed to have one of the most beautiful campuses in the country! How did it go? Get any good feedback from profs/grad students?

This is my third round applying for the PhD. Last year only to 7 depts (some duplicates) but I heard nothing at all and was rejected by each. Since then I've done a lot of research and whatnot so hopefully the third time will be a charm! Based on your schools, I'm assuming your pursuing more of a dialectology path? I'm primarily focused on language ideologies and identity (based on indexicality of linguistic features pertaining to style), but I'm also interested in endangered languages and less common dialects and how their use is perceived by other speakers.    

I did! At IU, they recommended that I dual apply to French Linguistics, since I'm thinking of double majoring in Ling and French Ling. The grad students were really helpful at both schools. I'm way more excited about both programs now that I've visited!

I did a lot with Canadian varieties of French during my Master's program, so yes, I'm interested in dialectology. Also interested in social aspects of child language acquisition (especially bilingual children) and language variation and contact (especially French/English contact in Quebec and Acadia).

Sounds like you might enjoy L'Eloge du Chiac- it's a movie they made in the 60s about a class of students (some Chiac speakers and some non-speakers) and their opinions on Chiac and language use in their community. Have you seen it?

I had a Skype "interview" with McGill last year and they just wanted to make sure I had taken a syntax course. Otherwise I think my interviewer just told me about some of their research and I probably asked a few questions. I still over-prepared for it, so feel free to do that anyway. :)

Nice to meet you! You seem to be my potential colleague; the same thing happened to me. I've been thinking that an interview would be a piece of cake, but as soon as it became [my]F reality, things look quite different.

I'm happily nervous. Good luck to both of us!

Nice to meet you too, and good luck! :)

I had a Skype "interview" with McGill last year and they just wanted to make sure I had taken a syntax course. Otherwise I think my interviewer just told me about some of their research and I probably asked a few questions. I still over-prepared for it, so feel free to do that anyway. :)

I think I just gotta get out of this lazy winter break mode. I actually have been doing work, but I'd wake up at 10am or something every day, which is really late for me.

The application process drives you crazy, but I appreciate how it made me really think about what I want to do, like what my research interests are and what linguistics means to me. Last semester I took five courses because I wanted a solid background in all the theoretical subfields, and I didn't really know what I wanted to study for sure because I just like so many things. I spent almost all my time on school work or departmental stuff (reading groups and whatnot). I'd wake up thinking about all the readings and stuff I have to do, reciting my to-do list in my head even before I realize I'm awake. Sounds like it should have been stressful, but for most of it I honestly felt like it was some of the best few months of my life because I love linguistics so much and would actually read and work on my research projects rather than go out or watch a movie or something.

I did! At IU, they recommended that I dual apply to French Linguistics, since I'm thinking of double majoring in Ling and French Ling. The grad students were really helpful at both schools. I'm way more excited about both programs now that I've visited!

I did a lot with Canadian varieties of French during my Master's program, so yes, I'm interested in dialectology. Also interested in social aspects of child language acquisition (especially bilingual children) and language variation and contact (especially French/English contact in Quebec and Acadia).

Sounds like you might enjoy L'Eloge du Chiac- it's a movie they made in the 60s about a class of students (some Chiac speakers and some non-speakers) and their opinions on Chiac and language use in their community. Have you seen it?

That's awesome! It's always a relief to get some sort of positive, thoughtful comments from schools/students. It's like a validation of you and your interests. Did they say anything about when to expect to hear back? 

Your work with Canadian varieties sounds interesting, especially variation and contact (since that's more up my alley :D ). I'm not familiar with the movie as I have very limited experiences with French, although I'll check it out when I get some time.  

That's awesome! It's always a relief to get some sort of positive, thoughtful comments from schools/students. It's like a validation of you and your interests. Did they say anything about when to expect to hear back? 

Your work with Canadian varieties sounds interesting, especially variation and contact (since that's more up my alley :D ). I'm not familiar with the movie as I have very limited experiences with French, although I'll check it out when I get some time.  

Yeah, it was really great! At both schools, they all said, "you should come here- it's great!" and I was like, "umm, I haven't even been accepted yet, but I'll keep that in mind!" :P  They both said I should hear in February or early March at the latest. I'm hoping for sooner rather than later! Have you e-mailed with any profs yet?

Yeah, it was really great! At both schools, they all said, "you should come here- it's great!" and I was like, "umm, I haven't even been accepted yet, but I'll keep that in mind!" :P  They both said I should hear in February or early March at the latest. I'm hoping for sooner rather than later! Have you e-mailed with any profs yet?

That's awesome that they said that to you! Well, one thing I did this year that I hadn't done last time was that I had emaild profs (1-2) from each school that I was planning on applying back in September to get more information about their research and how my interests fit in with the program. Most got back to me via email, I spoke on the phone with about 5 of them and even skyped with one. I think that may have been a huge asset for me this go around because I was able to directly implement their feedback into my statement of purpose. Also, it helped me gauge which schools I'd be most at home with due to the different personalities of the faculty. I've kept in touch with a few and hope it leads to something soon :D

Edited by Scarecrow24

That's awesome that they said that to you! Well, one thing I did this year that I hadn't done last time was that I had emaild profs (1-2) from each school that I was planning on applying back in September to get more information about their research and how my interests fit in with the program. Most got back to me via email, I spoke on the phone with about 5 of them and even skyped with one. I think that may have been a huge asset for me this go around because I was able to directly implement their feedback into my statement of purpose. Also, it helped me gauge which schools I'd be most at home with due to the different personalities of the faculty. I've kept in touch with a few and hope it leads to something soon :D

That's great! I really wish I'd e-mailed the profs before I applied. I e-mailed them in November, so my applications weren't officially submitted, but they were mostly done. I think it's good to figure out what's a good fit for you not only research-wise, but personality-wise as well. I'm so glad I visited some schools because it really helped me with that! :)

Just for information to the community, I received today an e-mail from my POIs at UPenn. We set up an interview for the next week (but it could have been set up for this week if I were not going to travel tonight).

I'm happy!

Just for information to the community, I received today an e-mail from my POIs at UPenn. We set up an interview for the next week (but it could have been set up for this week if I were not going to travel tonight).

I'm happy!

That's awesome! Congratulations! Who is your POI and what are your research interests? 

Yay!

I feel like things have been slow in the past few days, but looking at the results from last year I can see that it's still too early for almost every school I applied to (minus McGill, which seems to be a bit quicker this year).

Also my school's winter break seems to be longer than most schools' so I'm still sitting around not doing much this week. My days will go by more quickly once the semester starts again.

Yay!

I feel like things have been slow in the past few days, but looking at the results from last year I can see that it's still too early for almost every school I applied to (minus McGill, which seems to be a bit quicker this year).

Also my school's winter break seems to be longer than most schools' so I'm still sitting around not doing much this week. My days will go by more quickly once the semester starts again.

It's actually been going a lot quicker than I expected for me, but I think I'm about to hit a slump (and it's already driving me mad)... I was told I'd hear back from USC next week, I doubt Berkeley will send out news any sooner than that, I've heard from a second-hand source that Yale isn't looking for phoneticians (which I kind of already knew) and UCLA looks like it usually sends out results in February.  

I need to put the last touches on the design for an experiment I'm running in a week and a half... but all of this waiting is so distracting!!!

I'm happy!

Oooh, congrats and good luck! Just checked my spam folder just in case.  ;)

Looks like Garyon swore off posting until he gets an interview email..

Ahaha, this was a busy week at work, thus my refrain from posting :)

This is a good advice though, maybe It would bring me luck! I'll think about it  :D  :D

I got an email from Maryland for an interview!!!! Yay!!

Yay and Yay again! So happy for you, I know you were freaking out (I still am)! Good luck!

I got two emails from Maryland. I guess I'll have interviews with both of my POIs ._.

wow, I didn't know this was a practice. Do your POIs have very different research interests?

However, this probably means they are both interested in you, so Yay^3!

Edited by Garyon