Fall 2015 I/O Applicants

kaswing

Hope application season is going well for you all!

I thought I'd write a little update to my previous list of schools, etc., since it's completely changed.

I'm interested in creativity, and how we can design environments (i.e. workplaces, organizational culture, and especially software) to foster more specific organizational goals (like creativity).  Therefore, not all the programs I am applying to are I/O Psych. 

UCSD (Cognitive Science)*
UNC Charlotte (Computer Science)*

Penn State (I/O Psychology)*

Harvard (Organizational Behavior)*

Stanford (Management Science and Engineering; Work, Technology, and Organizations)*

U Maryland (Computer Science)
Georgia Tech (Human-Centered Computing)

*-- I've already submitted this application

My POI at UNC found funding for me, so I only applied to schools I'd like to go to as well or more than there, even though I'm not as sure as I once was that that means I'm in.  I have more than one POI at every school except UNC. My recommenders are all from UCSD. I have a phone call scheduled with a POI from Stanford. 

Research Experience

• I have about 1.5 years research experience in semi-related fields (Psychiatry in decision-making, Cog Sci in human-computer interaction) 
  • 1 Paper (3rd author) currently under review

GPA: 3.26 undergrad (CSU school) and 3.45 graduate (UC school, professional program) 

BS in Business Marketing, MBA 

GRE: 161Q / 170V / 5 AWA  (81st%, 99th%, 93rd%) (a little worried about that Q score for the computer science programs) 

I am worried that I didn't apply to enough schools, that my recommenders secretly hate me, that my CV is embarrassing and looks padded, that my SOP is missing something super important, and that I don't know what I will do if I am accepted to any number of schools other than exactly 1. 

I am happy that I have 5 applications in, that my Stanford POI wants to do a phone call, and that 170 sounds sexy. 

What are you worried and happy about? 

Edited by kaswing

Hi everyone!

I'm about to send my application, and I just wrote the GRE yesterday - I absolutely BOMBED it. I received a 150 on the Verbal section, but only a (shameful) 144 on the Quants section. Not sure about the Analytical writing section but I'm pretty sure that I did well on that part.

I was told by a professor that for the program I am applying to, the GRE scores don't matter - she said it was really just a formality.

The rest of my stats are:

cum GPA: 3.91

subject GPA: 4.17

Last 2 years GPA: 4.17

I did an honour's degree and completed my thesis. I have three strong reference letters, and I presented my research at a psychology conference. I am also a Teaching Assistant at my university for a psychology class.
The school I am applying to is the same school that I completed my undergrad at. 

What do you guys think my chances are? I'm really worried about the GRE and am thinking I may have to reapply next year because of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,  I am a Junior needing some advice from experienced applicants.  I am a white male, from the Northeast.  I am extremely involved in research and have been since freshman year, specializing in researching PTSD and its impact on the workplace. I am the first undergrad in 14 years to receive a grant from my University for my research and hope to be able to publish my results.  This summer I am fortunate to also have received an internship in I/O PSychology in the HR Department of a large Healthcare organization in the Boston area.

My barrier is, my GPA is 3.17, hoping to reach 3.2 by application time. I have not taken my GRE's, but standardized testing tends to be difficult for me, I am hoping for 150 scores based upon how I did on the SATs. (I am dyslexic)  Many of the programs I am researching seem to have an average GPA/GRE significantly higher than mine.

Is there a hollistic approach to admissions in this area or will my GPA eliminate my application without even a closer look?

Edited by Psychman

Hi Everyone,  I am a Junior needing some advice from experienced applicants.  I am a white male, from the Northeast.  I am extremely involved in research and have been since freshman year, specializing in researching PTSD and its impact on the workplace. I am the first undergrad in 14 years to receive a grant from my University for my research and hope to be able to publish my results.  This summer I am fortunate to also have received an internship in I/O PSychology in the HR Department of a large Healthcare organization in the Boston area.

My barrier is, my GPA is 3.17, hoping to reach 3.2 by application time. I have not taken my GRE's, but standardized testing tends to be difficult for me, I am hoping for 150 scores based upon how I did on the SATs. (I am dyslexic)  Many of the programs I am researching seem to have an average GPA/GRE significantly higher than mine.

Is there a hollistic approach to admissions in this area or will my GPA eliminate my application without even a closer look?

Hey dude.  You might want to make your own thread for this - your question will probably get more attention that way.  This thread is for I/O applicants applying for admission this round.  ... In fact, I imagine many of them have apps due today.

Hey dude.  You might want to make your own thread for this - your question will probably get more attention that way.  This thread is for I/O applicants applying for admission this round.  ... In fact, I imagine many of them have apps due today.

Yep. We're busy biting our nails over a recommender not submitting their letters.  :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Hmm does the lack of activity in this thread mean there are less I/O applicants this year? Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part haha. Maybe everyone's still to busy submitting applications and getting professors to submit letters.

Hmm does the lack of activity in this thread mean there are less I/O applicants this year? Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part haha. Maybe everyone's still to busy submitting applications and getting professors to submit letters.

I think it's because our deadlines are a little later than the Clinical and Social programs, so we have to wait longer for results (i.e. something to gab about). Although, I will say that waiting is the worst experience ever.

I am over waiting at this point. Can't believe it will still be about 2 months before most of the answers roll in. I've seen people get picked up off of the waitlist as late as 14-15 April last year. Talk about last minute!

I applied to I/O and OB/OS programs this year, so I guess there are at least a couple of us. I am actually finding this time somewhat relaxing, since everything I can do has already been done. I've had a few of my professors ask me what is going on and I just say, one informal phone interview, no offers yet.

I can't speak for other programs, but I know where I'm at we had a record number of applicants this year (seems to happen every year, doesn't it?).  It seems like each year gets more and more competitive.

To this year's applicants: Don't freak out.  That just means you're that much more fantastic. :P  Best of luck to you all.

Edited by Munashi

Hello Munashi!

Do you know when Penn State is planning to start sending out interviews? I noticed that last year there was a post from January 17th about an interview invite and the following week the year prior.

Thanks!

Hello Munashi!

Do you know when Penn State is planning to start sending out interviews? I noticed that last year there was a post from January 17th about an interview invite and the following week the year prior.

Thanks!

Ahhh Penn State does interviews??? I'm the worst interviewee...if I even get one :'D 

Edited by denisecandisco

No interview offers yet, I think most of the schools I applied to don't require interviews, I didn't apply only to I/O programs however. As of yet, I haven't heard back from a single school for I/O though.

For I/O I applied to:

Auburn University - Not required

University of Central Florida - Not required

DePaul University - Not required

Roosevelt University - ????

Seattle Pacific University - Interview required

Florida Institute of Technology - Not required

Claremont Graduate University - Not required

This is what I am tracking for these schools. For Roosevelt they just started the program 2 years ago, looking through the results search it seems someone had to interview last year.

Received an acceptance to George Mason's I/O program this past weekend. Extremely happy as it was in my top 3 schools before visits, funding, anything else is taken into account.

Received an acceptance to George Mason's I/O program this past weekend. Extremely happy as it was in my top 3 schools before visits, funding, anything else is taken into account.

Congratulations! Would you mind PM'ing me your POI? George Mason is one of my top 3 as well, so I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Congratulations! Would you mind PM'ing me your POI? George Mason is one of my top 3 as well, so I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Thank you Buzzin! Good luck as well. (and keep in contact with me. Perhaps we'll be hitting schools at the same time)

Congrats Wrellie! I might be sending a PM your way soon, too.

I received an offer from Michigan State -- I'm so pleasantly surprised, as I thought it was a long shot. I'll also be attending University of Maryland's visiting day. So excited (and nervous)!

Edited by dinnerdate

Congratulations! GMU's IO program is one of the top!! I also applied to it. Can I PM you about the POI? Thanks!!