Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

Woke up to two decisions today... one acceptance and one reject, haaah. The accept was from The New School -- with nothing more than a 25% scholarship, meaning they might as well not have admitted me at all. -_____- Bleeeaaargh.

That's pretty much what every person admitted to New School said (on the Facebook Draft page) they got for funding. I wasn't clear what that 25% would cover. Just the tuition?

Edited by SarahWakes

SarahWakes; I haven't asked them for further details (and probably won't bother to), but my guess would be that it's 25% off tuition costs. As such, you'd still have to pay fees + the remainder of tuition.

On that note, someone mentioned earlier that the New School probably has an informal waitlist, and that this is their second round of acceptances after people declined the first round. I'm inclined to agree. The MFA boasts a 20% acceptance rate on their website, and I would add that this is probably because their near-negligible funding means they have a very high turnover rate of people declining/moving down the waitlist.

Edited by Nibs

Doesn't New School offer any scholarships beyond the 25% off of tuition? That seems pretty lame. Just for the the Lang school it was 20k per semester. Does this mean 40k for the year? And so, if you went, it would be 30k per year in just tuition? That is fucking insane! No one should apply for that unless they are loaded, have a trust fund or something of that ilk. Just living in New York would cost in the 30k range.... you could spend 120k getting this MFA, if you finished in two years. Yikes! 

'

Hi, everyone. Just wanted to share some information now that I've come to the end of my application process. I hope it's helpful.

I applied to the following programs, in Fiction: Iowa, NYU, Hunter, Columbia, The New School, and Brooklyn. I was rejected (snail mail) from Iowa on Friday, March 6th. I received an acceptance (by phone) from The New School this Monday, the 9th. Today (Wednesday the 11th), I got acceptances from Hunter and Columbia, both by phone. For the record (at least in my experience) Hunter DOES have potentially accepted candidates come meet the faculty and take a look around before making any formal offer, which doesn't come until a week or so later. I've yet to hear from NYU or Brooklyn, but NYU seems to have notified and I have on good authority that Brooklyn has notified. Either way, Hunter emerged as my #1, so I'm going there.

Good luck to everyone!

Doesn't New School offer any scholarships beyond the 25% off of tuition? That seems pretty lame. Just for the the Lang school it was 20k per semester. Does this mean 40k for the year? And so, if you went, it would be 30k per year in just tuition? That is fucking insane! No one should apply for that unless they are loaded, have a trust fund or something of that ilk. Just living in New York would cost in the 30k range.... you could spend 120k getting this MFA, if you finished in two years. Yikes! 

'

No they do not. I met with them in October and asked about their funding. They made it very clear you may receive up to 25% in funding. In your second year they may offer more.

i have 2.0 gpa score... nd 278 in gre score... with ielts 6.0 bands.. please guys i really need your help.. can u tell me..how can i get the admission in Mph deegree in usa...nd i also really interested to get admission in Long island University , Brooklyn...your genuine advise..really means a lot to me...

i have 2.0 gpa score... nd 278 in gre score... with ielts 6.0 bands.. please guys i really need your help.. can u tell me..how can i get the admission in Mph deegree in usa...nd i also really interested to get admission in Long island University , Brooklyn...your genuine advise..really means a lot to me...

Hi Parth8219, 

Try posting in the public health forum: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/59-public-health/

You should at least aim for a minimum of 310 on your GRE —plus most schools won't accept anyone with a GPA below a 3.0; perhaps the GPA scale in your country is different?

Good luck!

Well, I went ahead and made an account. Mostly, in order to ask what people's thoughts are on this issue I'm

dealing with. 

I applied to a dozen schools, admittedly, off that reportedly 'poor' Poets and Writers list of the top 50 M.F.A programs.

I've been rejected by most. Accepted by one. This school is actually pretty prestigious. For it's M.F.A and in general.

They accepted me after only four weeks and have gone to some length to 'woo' me as it might be called. Very flattering.

Excellent writers. Fantastic full funding package. Light teaching load.

It's ideal, really. And I've taken the offer.

However, and, I know this might sound ungrateful, or greedy...why is it that no other programs have even wait-listed me?

I was told "I'm sure you'll have tons of offers," by the director of the program. I tried not to let it inflate my ego. I am well-aware

I am extremely lucky to have any offers, let alone this damn near perfect one. 

Nevertheless, a tiny part of me is wondering...why no other schools? If I was considered good enough to be accepted at this

relatively prestigious university...why not others? Even just one other? Why not the low-list safety school? It just seems a little

wonky, a bit off. 

Any thoughts?

Because not all people gravitate towards the same kind of work. People will react to someone's writing in different ways. They have experiences and preferences and preconceived notions that shape the way they react. And people's moods change the way they read something. They're reading hundreds and hundreds of pages of writing. It's reasonable that they would tire of a certain subject / style if the past number of samples all just so happened to follow the same style / content. And then there is the space issue. If they accept 5, and the waitlist is 5, still, that is just 10. The top 10 of 500 (or more) applicants. It's also reasonable to believe that committees make their offers based on the likelihood of an applicant's chance of going to their school. It's reasonable, I think, for a school to pass over an excellent applicant for a lesser so applicant that is more likely to accept. So they are any number of reasons (didn't even touch on the SOP and LOR factors), one's we can probably never know, unless we are on one of these committees ourselves.

Lesson I learned during this application season: Rejections don't invalidate my work. Also, acceptances don't necessarily validate my work either. I still have much to improve.

Edit: Forgot to mention -- if anyone is waiting to hear from Vanderbilt, they are notifying applicants tomorrow!

Edited by emburst

Because not all people gravitate towards the same kind of work. People will react to someone's writing in different ways. They have experiences and preferences and preconceived notions that shape the way they react. And people's moods change the way they read something. They're reading hundreds and hundreds of pages of writing. It's reasonable that they would tire of a certain subject / style if the past number of samples all just so happened to follow the same style / content. And then there is the space issue. If they accept 5, and the waitlist is 5, still, that is just 10. The top 10 of 500 (or more) applicants. It's also reasonable to believe that committees make their offers based on the likelihood of an applicant's chance of going to their school. It's reasonable, I think, for a school to pass over an excellent applicant for a lesser so applicant that is more likely to accept. So they are any number of reasons (didn't even touch on the SOP and LOR factors), one's we can probably never know, unless we are on one of these committees ourselves.

Lesson I learned during this application season: Rejections don't invalidate my work. Also, acceptances don't necessarily validate my work either. I still have much to improve.

Edit: Forgot to mention -- if anyone is waiting to hear from Vanderbilt, they are notifying applicants tomorrow!

I agree, absolutely. It's all subjective. There are a zillion factors that go into notifications. Between outside circumstances (the admissions guy had a flat tire that day and it put him in a bad mood), internal prejudices that sometimes cannot be ignored and the simple fact that people like different things, a notification is a bi-product of a long bureaucratic, intense and dangerous process, not the validation or invalidation of a person's talent, love, passion, skill, etc.. That being said, I've gotten only rejections so far. It stings and definitely makes you question things. But that's probably normal....the questioning. Anyway, best of luck with everything, everyone.

Hey Indiana inclined folks: Two people on Facebook draft announced getting wait-listed for poetry and one person announced getting in for fiction. 

Edited by SarahWakes

As an update: I remain completely baffled by this entire experience.

So far, I've received a paper rejection from Iowa (not surprising in the slightest), and an email notification from The New School that I should check my application status online, which I did, and was accepted with the same 25% scholarship everyone else has mentioned. I still haven't heard from NYU, which I'll assume means I've been rejected. I've also not heard anything from Alabama, so who knows.

Why do some accepted people get called, while others just get a form email notification? Why are certain schools twice as expensive as others? Why do some programs wait a full month after their acceptance calls to notify the rejected folks, via snail mail, of all things??

I feel like I've taken up competitive figure skating in a Cold-War-era Olympic cycle and all the judges are drunk.

On 3/12/2015 at 12:59 PM, shoopster said:

As an update: I remain completely baffled by this entire experience.

So far, I've received a paper rejection from Iowa (not surprising in the slightest), and an email notification from The New School that I should check my application status online, which I did, and was accepted with the same 25% scholarship everyone else has mentioned. I still haven't heard from NYU, which I'll assume means I've been rejected. I've also not heard anything from Alabama, so who knows.

Why do some accepted people get called, while others just get a form email notification? Why are certain schools twice as expensive as others? Why do some programs wait a full month after their acceptance calls to notify the rejected folks, via snail mail, of all things??

I feel like I've taken up competitive figure skating in a Cold-War-era Olympic cycle and all the judges are drunk.

my god shoopster, that last sentence is the perfect way to put it

On 3/12/2015 at 12:05 PM, SarahWakes said:

Three people on the Draft pages said they got into WUSTL. Sigh. I am waiting for my rejection letter.

Don't give up hope until you hear back definitively from WUSTL.  The draft pages are an anonymous online message board with little credibility, and people will lie on the internet for absolutely no reason.

i just got notification from Indiana (waitlisted!). im so thrilled even by that, as this is my top choice school. if anyone got in and doesnt wanna go, you would make this Chicagoan very, very happy to go to Bloomington. it seems as if they let in fewer people this year than in the past, so i feel super lucky.

also im trying to figure out good waitlist etiquette, in terms of contacting the program staff and students. if anyone has good advice about that, it'd be much appreciated.

Congrats, lagoon91! That's amazing news! And good luck on getting in. I found samson36's advice in the other thread really helpful. I think I flailed a little bit before that. But it's been interesting even seeing how different programs respond, or don't respond, to requests for general information. 

For those lucky enough to be choosing between programs, or for those on wait lists, is anyone struggling to prioritize aspects of different programs? Finding it hard to compare meshing w/ the faculty, or w/ the students, the program length, location, etc, to figure out best fit. i guess we all have to figure out our own priorities...not sure what mine is. More time to work, or working in the place I'd feel most comfortable/creative, or the program with the best post-grad job record, etc? Dunno.