Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

I heard that UCI sent out all their acceptances already —but it's not over till it's over. I'm not too sure about the other schools. I think I saw one or two from BU but can't be sure. Good luck! 

Any updates from the McNeese yet?

i also applied there and haven't heard a word. however, i'm not in the facebook group. i think we'll hear a response pretty late in the game given how late the application deadline was (february 11).

i also applied there and haven't heard a word. however, i'm not in the facebook group. i think we'll hear a response pretty late in the game given how late the application deadline was (february 11).

I am on that FB group...from what little I learned we should be getting the results before the end of this month...let's keep our fingers crossed!

Hey everan, 

You've looked at the Gradcafe results page, right? http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=creative+writing&t=a&o=. Of course it's anonymous, so there's no way of knowing how accurate it is, but if you see that a program has notified a bunch of people and you're still waiting, it probably doesn't hurt to contact them and ask about your application. 

I know a friend of mine got into Indiana sometime last week and UC Irvine has already sent out their acceptances, as HeyIowa mentioned (I emailed them about this and they confirmed that all of the acceptances and wait lists have gone out and that they'll be mailing rejection letters soon). Those are both for fiction; I don't know if poetry is the same. 

Good luck! And good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from programs and waiting on wait lists!

Anybody hear anything from Boise State U? Haven't heard much but am not on the Facebook Draft page. Just curious. Thanks.

Made an account just to let you know that I am also hearing complete radio silence from Boise. I have also completely struck out when it came to calling them. When I called the office of graduate admissions last week, the woman who picked up said that they haven't received anything from the department. Each time I've tried to call Mitch Wieland, it went straight to voice mail. I also sent them an email that went unanswered. Really bizarre. 

Edited by witezslav

Made an account just to let you know that I am also hearing complete radio silence from Boise. I have also completely struck out when it came to calling them. When I called the office of graduate admissions last week, the woman who picked up said that they haven't received anything from the department. Each time I've tried to call Mitch Wieland, it went straight to voice mail. I also sent them an email that went unanswered. Really bizarre. 

Thanks for making an account! And I'm glad you've had a similar experience contacting them....they're the worst with communication! They seemed fine during the application season, but every time I've contacted them for whatever purpose, it's been nearly impossible to get a straight answer. Eh, we'll see. They are my last school....and my last (and first) hope. Best of luck!!

So, I got an acceptance from Montana last night, via an email to check my status on the application website. I was so excited. I found it odd that this was the way I'd been notified, as I'd read other results of people getting phone calls and emails, but since I'm currently living abroad and had listed my now-defunct house phone number on the application by accident, I figured it made sense.

Log back in just now and when I click on decision letter... it's been replaced with a rejection. Completely different PDF, I now have both saved.

Um.

What fresh hell is this?

So, I got an acceptance from Montana last night, via an email to check my status on the application website. I was so excited. I found it odd that this was the way I'd been notified, as I'd read other results of people getting phone calls and emails, but since I'm currently living abroad and had listed my now-defunct house phone number on the application by accident, I figured it made sense.

Log back in just now and when I click on decision letter... it's been replaced with a rejection. Completely different PDF, I now have both saved.

Um.

What fresh hell is this?

All I can say is FUCK. And I'm sorry. I've seen a few people comment on the results page here with a similar story. It sounds like they screwed up....pretty bad. I would call, email, whatever you can do. That's ridiculous. Anyway, I hope it works out for the best. Also "fresh hell." I've never heard that before. But I dig it. Solid.

Congratulations! I also applied for poetry.

I was living in Boston and had some correspondence with the faculty, which I thought would help. Unless I get a phonecall it looks like I am going to strike out this year. And so it was I entered the working world...

On 3/26/2015 at 8:17 AM, papierbaby said:

Um.

What fresh hell is this?

Yes, email or call them for sure! It sounds like a huge fuck up on their part, but it doesn't hurt to ask at all. Here's hoping that the rejection is the mess up and not the other way around :)

Anyone heard anything from UNLV? I know there's been one or two acceptances (I think). I've also seen in the past that they only take one fiction student? Anybody know what's up with that?

im having a similar issue, in that Illinois is looking like a great choice for me, but I'm still holding out hope for Indiana (my top choice program), where I've been waitlisted. i feel so bad making Illinois wait for me to decide, but im not ready to make any moves until i know about Indiana for sure. they're both such great programs too, ugh! any advice would be great!

but this is definitely a happy problem!

I made it onto the waitlist for NCSU, thus proving that miracles do happen. So I'm going to hold off on accepting SIUC in hopes of hearing back from them. We're in the same boat, lagoon91 -- I do feel awfully guilty about making SIUC wait, especially if I end up turning it down at the eleventh hour. In all honesty, both programs are probably neck and neck in my estimate. But given the choice between Raleigh and Carbondale, let's just say I know where I'd rather live!

I don't think I'd have the courage to push it all the way to the deadline, though... if the 10th of April or thereabouts rolls around and I still haven't heard from NCSU, I may surrender to my nerves and accept SIUC.

What about you guys? Are you holding out until/close to the deadline, or will you make a decision earlier than that?

Edited by Nibs

So has anyone finalized their decision yet? I am likely choosing Irivne, but still waiting to see what happens with the Johns Hopkins wait list. 

Irvine is truly great. I wouldn't bother with Johns Hopkins —Irvine is clearly the rising star and they offer an incredibly generous fellowship. 

I actually grew up in Irvine —went to high school 4 blocks away from UCI. let me know if you have any questions about the area. 

EDIT: Plus, Irvine wins hands down against the gash of humanity that is B'more (sorry....)

Edited by HeyIowa

waitlist at McNeese in fiction. anyone know how big the waitlist is? i saw at least 2 other posts in the main thread. ugh i hope it's not a huge wait list.

i'm still weighing an offer in creative nonfiction at UNO, but it's looking less and less likely that i'll be able to swing it. it seems like a great program and they were refreshingly open about not being able to offer me much funding. they seemed genuinely excited about my writing and are trying to work out a way for all tuition/fees to be waived, but they can't promise me anything. at this point, i need a promise. 

i'm still wait listed at oregon state and west virginia, both in creative nonfiction. the latter seemed particularly promising and i hope that one or both will wind up making me an offer. honestly, i'd be thrilled to go to any of the schools where i'm wait listed, with a preference for McNeese since I'm already finishing an MA in cnf. 

i got rejections from arizona, alabama, florida, and wyoming... presumed rejected from north carolina state since someone posted upthread about receiving a wait list notification. i wanted to close by saying how absolutely egregious the montana incident is, and i truly feel for those of you who received the false acceptance. i can't even fathom what that must have felt like. i know many of us are still weighing offers/waiting to hear the final word about wait lists and such, but the MFA season is almost over. i just want to move on with my life, hopefully with an offer somewhere.

On 3/29/2015 at 7:59 PM, bobkat said:

i got rejections from arizona, alabama, florida, and wyoming... presumed rejected from north carolina state since someone posted upthread about receiving a wait list notification. i wanted to close by saying how absolutely egregious the montana incident is, and i truly feel for those of you who received the false acceptance. i can't even fathom what that must have felt like. i know many of us are still weighing offers/waiting to hear the final word about wait lists and such, but the MFA season is almost over. i just want to move on with my life, hopefully with an offer somewhere.

:wub:  this is bbybear sending love for hating on Montana with me.

I made it onto the waitlist for NCSU, thus proving that miracles do happen. So I'm going to hold off on accepting SIUC in hopes of hearing back from them. We're in the same boat, lagoon91 -- I do feel awfully guilty about making SIUC wait, especially if I end up turning it down at the eleventh hour. In all honesty, both programs are probably neck and neck in my estimate. But given the choice between Raleigh and Carbondale, let's just say I know where I'd rather live!

I don't think I'd have the courage to push it all the way to the deadline, though... if the 10th of April or thereabouts rolls around and I still haven't heard from NCSU, I may surrender to my nerves and accept SIUC.

What about you guys? Are you holding out until/close to the deadline, or will you make a decision earlier than that?

DId you hear from NCSU in fiction or poetry?