Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

Applied: 4

Rejected: 2

anyone heard from UC-irvine or CSU-Long Beach?

Heard nothing from Irvine. But I hope to hear soon. If it's a rejection, christ, just give it. And if it's not.....just give it! Haha

On 3/12/2015 at 2:04 PM, Amayan said:

Don't give up hope until you hear back definitively from WUSTL.  The draft pages are an anonymous online message board with little credibility, and people will lie on the internet for absolutely no reason.

Thanks Amayan. Sigh. Three plus days to go. I will try to hope for the best. 

Congrats, lagoon91! That's amazing news! And good luck on getting in. I found samson36's advice in the other thread really helpful. I think I flailed a little bit before that. But it's been interesting even seeing how different programs respond, or don't respond, to requests for general information. 

For those lucky enough to be choosing between programs, or for those on wait lists, is anyone struggling to prioritize aspects of different programs? Finding it hard to compare meshing w/ the faculty, or w/ the students, the program length, location, etc, to figure out best fit. i guess we all have to figure out our own priorities...not sure what mine is. More time to work, or working in the place I'd feel most comfortable/creative, or the program with the best post-grad job record, etc? Dunno.

thank you sandy bubbles! and thanks for the info; i will check out the waitlist thread. where have you been waitlisted? any signs of movement for you?

How lovely would it be to be like Zadie Smith, to have only 80 odd pages of a manuscript completed and a book deal? That is what I yearn for, almost as much (if not more) than a MFA admittance. 

To those of you who received acceptances this year, can you weigh in on whether publication history matters? 

I would say it doesn't matter at all. I had only one publication in a tiny unimportant journal, and I ended up getting into the IWW, Cornell, CU-Boulder, U Montana, UW-Madison, USF, and am waitlisted at Brown. I applied a few years ago, and got rejected across the board, but I had the same publication stats. i.e., not much at all.

I would say it doesn't matter at all. I had only one publication in a tiny unimportant journal, and I ended up getting into the IWW, Cornell, CU-Boulder, U Montana, UW-Madison, USF, and am waitlisted at Brown. I applied a few years ago, and got rejected across the board, but I had the same publication stats. i.e., not much at all.

o.O  How did you get into all those schools, please?!

How lovely would it be to be like Zadie Smith, to have only 80 odd pages of a manuscript completed and a book deal? That is what I yearn for, almost as much (if not more) than a MFA admittance. 

Fun story: I met Zadie Smith one time at Purdue. She was getting hit on by some old man who seemed to have no idea what a big deal she is. I came up and shook her hand and told her what an honor it was to be in her presence. The old man asked if she was a model. XD

Also, I got my first acceptance today!!!!!!!!!!!

HeyIowa: Thank you : ) I still kind of have a hard time believing it happened. I think I'm probably going to end up choosing Iowa (my recommenders/advisors pretty consistently said to do Iowa over Cornell.). Or maybe Brown if I get off the waitlist, but they said they only accept people off the waitlist every few years. So I'm not really counting on it working out. 

pdh12: I don't know, really. If I had to guess, though, I'd say it was at least partially that this time around my work was a lot more focused, and informed by a wider and better understood set of sources. The year I didn't get in anywhere I applied with poems from undergrad creative writing workshops only. They were just kind of random things I'd written/ were all over the place. My statement was basically like "I like writing poems. The end." This time around, my portfolio was mostly recent poems, with the best ones from undergrad thrown in as well, and the new ones were kind of thematically coherent: I'd just finished a weird year of art school, and they were mostly about that. I also had my first introduction to philosophy/theory/art history while I was there [art school], and over the summer I read way more than I'd ever read. My statement this time was +/- about how I wanted to write through ideas from visual art. 

Hey all! I just found this forum and am happy that I'm not the only one sweating out this application process. 

Question: I saw on the results page that there are fiction acceptances and rejections for UC Riverside, but I still haven't heard from them. I'm guessing it's a no for me, but at what point do you think I should call them and ask? Maybe they have a wait list? I've got an offer and a wait list from two other programs but I'd really like to hear from Riverside. Any thoughts or advice? 

Thanks!

Hey all! I just found this forum and am happy that I'm not the only one sweating out this application process. 

Question: I saw on the results page that there are fiction acceptances and rejections for UC Riverside, but I still haven't heard from them. I'm guessing it's a no for me, but at what point do you think I should call them and ask? Maybe they have a wait list? I've got an offer and a wait list from two other programs but I'd really like to hear from Riverside. Any thoughts or advice? 

Thanks!

At this point, I think it's reasonable to reach out to them.

On its website UVA implied that it would be notifying accepted applicants this week. Has anyone heard? Can anyone recommend other forums which I can check for further info?

Thanks. And good luck/congrats/condolences to all.

On its website UVA implied that it would be notifying accepted applicants this week. Has anyone heard? Can anyone recommend other forums which I can check for further info?

Thanks. And good luck/congrats/condolences to all.

They've sent out decisions to all applicants, I believe.

In terms of the waiting game, I sort of feel like like it's February again. Though I have an acceptance that I'm happy about, I'm also on the wait list at a school I'd really love to get into, and I'm still waiting on another school to start notifying. I'll be glad when it's over!

Best of luck to us all!

In terms of the waiting game, I sort of feel like like it's February again. Though I have an acceptance that I'm happy about, I'm also on the wait list at a school I'd really love to get into, and I'm still waiting on another school to start notifying. I'll be glad when it's over!

Best of luck to us all!

I feel the same way, ovalwriter! I also have a offer, a wait list and one I'm waiting on. I will be happy when the fat lady sings. 

Hello folks,

I applied to a billion-and-one creative writing programs for 2015 and am down to five. I thought perhaps rejections would come first, while no answer so late would indicate one was a finalist, as it were. Has anyone heard from these schools? My fingernails can't hold out much longer...

Boston University (BU)

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

UC Irvine (UCI)

U of Illinois (UIC)

Virginia Tech (VT)

Thanks for your feedback!