MAR at YDS

chodson

Hi all,

Quick question...looking to pursue an MAR comprehensive at YDS. I came into my undergrad thinking I wanted to study theology and teach and have since moved away from it. At Loyola Maryland, I'm now an cross-disciplinary Global Studies major which consists of courses in political science, economics, sociology, and history. I am also a writing minor with a specialty in creative non-fiction. Having taken this courses and having a couple internships under my belt, my original academic and intellectual passion has become clear - I want to continue to study theology. I plan to take an MTS course at Loyola in the fall so I can be sure its still there for me.

The Yale MAR seems to be a good program out there that combines a lot of what I enjoy. The career and academic paths some have taken after receiving the degree seem interesting.

What do you think my shot is with a 3.8 GPA and being a non-theology major. I will have taken four theology courses by graduation. I am also the student body president...but I doubt that'd matter much applying to Yale where most everyone else has been, too.

Any pointers? Also looking at the MA at ND but that seems like apples and oranges. I am studying for the GRE, but I still think their MTS would be a long-shot.

Thanks 

YDS' acceptance rate, like all the mainline divinity schools, is high, around 50% +/- year to year. It would be more difficult to get into an MA in religious studies at many good state school programs. In short: 1) you not having majored in theology is not a problem (and not that uncommon even for MAR/MTS folks) and 2) your stats are above average. Your odds are good. 

YDS' acceptance rate, like all the mainline divinity schools, is high, around 50% +/- year to year. It would be more difficult to get into an MA in religious studies at many good state school programs. In short: 1) you not having majored in theology is not a problem (and not that uncommon even for MAR/MTS folks) and 2) your stats are above average. Your odds are good.

Not that it matters to me much but is an MA from such a state school viewed more favorably than at a mainline div school like HDS, YDS, etc.?

Edit: for a phd I mean and hiring after that

Edited by Averroes MD

Not that it matters to me much but is an MA from such a state school viewed more favorably than at a mainline div school like HDS, YDS, etc.?

Edit: for a phd I mean and hiring after that

And which state schools have reputable programs in Religious Studies?

UVa and UNC come immediately to mind, and both offer MAs. But the short answer to Averroes' question is no, not really. Most PhD students in religion will have a masters of some sort from one of the big div schools; there are far, far fewer from one of the terminal MAs in religious studies depts. The conversation on the KU thread on the Religion forum right now has a good explanation of that.

With an MAR/MTS or even an MA, you'll want to be very directed in your work if you're not wanting to do doctoral or other graduate work. (Note: the MAR is not a reliable way to get a foot in the door at Yale Law, for example; they see through that). The degree is often rather meaningless outside of academic circles, and will make you "overqualified" for a lot of jobs--you have a masters degree which means they have to pay you more, but you have no experience or professional credentials. I have a good deal of friends with MARs from Yale who took awhile to find jobs because they figured "oh, I'll just apply for stuff" without having a clear trajectory in mind.

Edited by theophany

IU (Indiana), Washington, Florida State, and Missouri all offer a terminal MA in RS whose students tend to do relatively well during application season (UDub's degree is in comp. religion and is housed in the int'l relations dept.--so a little different.) The thing with many public school programs is that they are quite often mostly focused on ethnography, sociology, etc., sometimes with some text people, and almost never theology. UVA is a major exception in this regard.

Thanks, all, for this.

Should have clarified on second part. ND = University of Notre Dame. Their MA is summers, online, and non-competitive. Though accessable and rather flexible...it seems kind of pointless.

Their MTS, on the other hand, I hear good things about. Unlike most MTSs out there, it's tuition neutral with a stipend. Anyone know anything more about admit rates other details about Notre Dame's MTS?

Thanks, all, for this.

Should have clarified on second part. ND = University of Notre Dame. Their MA is summers, online, and non-competitive. Though accessable and rather flexible...it seems kind of pointless.

Their MTS, on the other hand, I hear good things about. Unlike most MTSs out there, it's tuition neutral with a stipend. Anyone know anything more about admit rates other details about Notre Dame's MTS?

Because ND's MTS (and their ECS MA and Classics MA) is totally funded + a small stipend it is very competitive, more so than any of the other big name MTS programs. Though beware if you are in ND-Theology and are not Christian you may want to end yourself. The brutal weather and small town does not help either. :)

Edited by sacklunch