Cross country move- car packing tips?

ginagirl

I will be making the move from Tucson to Baltimore in a few weeks and have an apartment full of stuff. I have been renting on my own for two years in unfurnished apartments, so I've accumulated quite a bunch of belongings (somewhat out of necessity) but I will be moving in with roommates in August and thus need very little of what I have now. I am going to make the drive with what fits in my car and either donate, trash, or sell the rest, and re-purchase any items I still need when I arrive.

That being said, any car packing suggestions? I have a general sense of what I can keep and what I can get rid of, but does anyone have strategies for packing a pretty small car? I have a two-door, 4-seat hatch back. The back two seats fold flat to give me a sizeable space to work with, but my three duffel bags/luggage pieces already take up about half the space, and I think those will be filled with clothes and shoes. I'm worried that the day of the move I will still end up with more stuff than I can fit. My dad will be driving with me, so loading up the passenger seat too won't work. Have any of you done a full "trial pack"? Should I try to avoid boxes and instead tuck items into nooks and crannies? Any way around the bulky duffel/luggage issue? I'd love to hear what worked and what didn't from people who have done it.

Note: I looked into roof racks, but I don't think they'd be worth the money/hassle to install. Anyone disagree with this? Also I don't think my car can handle a hitch.

That's moving very, very lightly. You won't be able to move much more than some clothing, a computer, important papers, and some odds and ends. What are you doing about a bed?

I'd be a lot more inclined to rent a truck of some sort and tow your car behind it. That way you can full the car to the brim safely and actually take some furniture.

I know it's light- but renting a truck and towing my car for that distance would be in the thousands of dollars, not to mention a majority of the stuff I own currently I won't have space for when all I need to furnish is a bedroom. Right now I have a fully stocked kitchen, a "furnished" living room (mainly a cheap Walmart futon and a hand-me-down coffee table), a kitchen table and chairs, and other odds and ends (lamps, rugs, side tables, storage bins/baskets). I don't have a lot of high quality or expensive furniture, and some of it is even passed down from family, so it didn't seem worth the expense.. hopefully this wasn't the wrong mentality to have. I plan on purchasing a cheap bed when I arrive, and also a desk, which I don't even own at this point.

I've moved cross-country in just my car a few times so, here's my advice. Also, for the record, I never did a full-on trial pack. Avoid boxes whenever possible. Bags are easier because you can manipulate them to fill gaps. Fill every nook and cranny in the luggage, including things like putting socks inside your shoes. Purge clothing that you don't wear often. In particular, since you're moving from HOT to not so hot (except in the summer), get rid of most of your warm weather clothes since you'll go from wearing them 8 months a year to 3-4 months in all likelihood. If you have stuff you want to keep but can't store, send it to your parent's house if possible. For books, you'll probably be better off shipping them via media mail than trying to shove them in the car with you (though books can also fill nooks sometimes). Oh, and don't forget about the space under the seats. If you're not moving them a lot, you can totally fit some small stuff down there.

Another idea: You may want to try loading stuff with and without the backseat down, just to see which position works better for the stuff you have.

I've moved cross-country in just my car a few times so, here's my advice. Also, for the record, I never did a full-on trial pack. Avoid boxes whenever possible. Bags are easier because you can manipulate them to fill gaps. Fill every nook and cranny in the luggage, including things like putting socks inside your shoes. Purge clothing that you don't wear often. In particular, since you're moving from HOT to not so hot (except in the summer), get rid of most of your warm weather clothes since you'll go from wearing them 8 months a year to 3-4 months in all likelihood. If you have stuff you want to keep but can't store, send it to your parent's house if possible. For books, you'll probably be better off shipping them via media mail than trying to shove them in the car with you (though books can also fill nooks sometimes). Oh, and don't forget about the space under the seats. If you're not moving them a lot, you can totally fit some small stuff down there.

Another idea: You may want to try loading stuff with and without the backseat down, just to see which position works better for the stuff you have.

Going to argue one point here. Bring your warm weather clothing!  Maryland can be/often is shorts weather for at least half the year.

One thing, if you have stuff worth moving, is to call uhaul, Pods, and companies like that about doing a store-and-move. If you are moving from major city to major city, you can negotiate rates down. A friend of mine just did Orlando to Boston for $680

I went the Uhaul trailer route and spent $380 with insurance for a 5 day/1000 mile rental with the biggest enclosed trailer they have. Not really that expensive, all things considered.

Let me just say that I threw out and sold SO much stuff before I left, and I just barely was able to fit everything in. You will be surprised how quickly every square inch of space will be gone in your very small car. You'll basically be restricted to clothes, shoes, basic toiletry items, and maybe some personal effects. Linens, towels, books, etc, will have to get shipped or left behind. Replacing that stuff will cost hundreds in itself. I sincerely hope you're a minimalist.

I went the Uhaul trailer route and spent $380 with insurance for a 5 day/1000 mile rental with the biggest enclosed trailer they have. Not really that expensive, all things considered.

I don't think all of the stuff that I will be leaving behind added together is more than the cost of the Uhaul (which really is over 1000 for the move I am making), and also I probably won't even need to replace most of it when I arrive. At this point, for better or worse, I'm only bringing what fits in my car. I am probably going to mail 4 boxes of items home (books, small kitchen appliances) for <100 dollars, to save space.

Edited by ginagirl

Just sayin', friend. I've moved 8 times since 2006. Half of those were distance moves over 700 miles, with the longest being 1500, and of course, I did that one with the smallest car I've ever owned and no trailer. As mentioned, pack in duffles. No plastic/cardboard boxes. I bought hockey duffles from a sporting good store and they fit a TON of stuff. I can fit my entire wardrobe and some of my linens into two of them. If you have access to a vacuum seal bag contraption, you'll be in good shape. I may even suggest you buy one for the occasion if you have a lot of clothes/linens.

Fold your back seats down if they fold 90-100% of the way down. If they're the 75% fold kinds, don't bother, you'll just be wasting space.

Beyond that, you seem to have answered your own question.

I've never moved across country, but I have done a month-long road trip out of my Corolla (with one passenger). You're on the right track if you're thinking about purging your stuff. Clothes are hardest for me, but it makes things easier if you only keep items that work for multiple outfits. And what about those vacuum seal storage bags?

Going to argue one point here. Bring your warm weather clothing!  Maryland can be/often is shorts weather for at least half the year.

That depends entirely on what you're used to. In Tucson, it's 100+ degrees from May (sometimes April) to September (sometimes October). That is a wardrobe you don't necessarily need to haul cross-country because it's not going to be above 100 for the better part of 4 months in Maryland, more lilke 3-4 weeks max. I moved from GA to AZ and acquired a much larger hot weather wardrobe than I'd had before simply because I needed those clothes for more months and seasons (spring, summer, and fall). Feel free to argue the point, bhr, but my advice is based on my experience living in the mid-Atlantic, the South, and Arizona.

I forgot to mention this before but I believe both Amtrak and Greyhound offer shipping options that are fairly affordable. You may want to look into those to move personal items that won't fit in the car but that you do want to keep. I totally understand not wanting to do the U-Haul thing (I didn't do it for most of my cross-country moves because all of my belongings were either gifts or inexpensive Craig's List purchases so it just didn't make sense financially). I did look into Greyhound a few years ago though and thought it was reasonable. And seriously, don't forget about USPS Media Mail for books, DVDs, and other media.

With weather I would think that the high temperature in Arizona wouldn't be as bad as a high temperature in Maryland because of humidity. But I've pretty much just lived in the upper Midwest.

What many outside southern Arizona don't realize is that there is a distinct summer rainy season there (http://wc.pima.edu/Bfiero/tucsonecology/climate/seasons.htm ; http://arizonaexperience.org/land/arizonas-monsoon-season). Also, let me assure you that 106F is hot regardless of the humidity, in large part because there is a lack of cloud cover so it pretty much feels like the sun is beating down on you all day long. Like I said, I've lived in both places. I remember traveling to GA from AZ in September for a conference and marveling at how cool it was there with daytime highs around 87. People looked at me like I was nuts. OP's mileage may vary obviously since I'm just sharing my experiences in these climates.

That depends entirely on what you're used to. In Tucson, it's 100+ degrees from May (sometimes April) to September (sometimes October). That is a wardrobe you don't necessarily need to haul cross-country because it's not going to be above 100 for the better part of 4 months in Maryland, more lilke 3-4 weeks max. I moved from GA to AZ and acquired a much larger hot weather wardrobe than I'd had before simply because I needed those clothes for more months and seasons (spring, summer, and fall). Feel free to argue the point, bhr, but my advice is based on my experience living in the mid-Atlantic, the South, and Arizona.

I forgot to mention this before but I believe both Amtrak and Greyhound offer shipping options that are fairly affordable. You may want to look into those to move personal items that won't fit in the car but that you do want to keep. I totally understand not wanting to do the U-Haul thing (I didn't do it for most of my cross-country moves because all of my belongings were either gifts or inexpensive Craig's List purchases so it just didn't make sense financially). I did look into Greyhound a few years ago though and thought it was reasonable. And seriously, don't forget about USPS Media Mail for books, DVDs, and other media.

Thanks for the suggestions, I forgot Greyhound/Amtrak do shipping. And yes it is hottt here right now. I have only been here for a year (I'm an east coaster, raised in NJ, lived in DC for a year prior to this) so luckily most of my wardrobe is still 4-seasons appropriate. 

I have moved from the Lower 48 to Alaska twice, driving, and only moving what I could fit in my car.  I found that it was important to avoid hard edges.  No suitcases, no boxes.  Set bedding in the vehicle flat - put sheets inside blankets to protect.  Set everything you plan to take next to your vehicle and see how the amount compares.  Use a tape measure to figure out interior cubit space, then measure what you have.  Shove things into nooks and crannies.  

If you plan ahead and practice, you can do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Renting a U-Haul and a car towing dolly for that distance would cost you $1500 (I just got an estimate on the U-Haul truck).  Getting a U-Box moving pod would cost about the same amount (just shy of $1600).  Your car might be able to tow a small cargo trailer; I just checked U-Haul and they say that a 2012 Chevy Spark (which is a 2-door hatchback) could haul a 4'x8' cargo trailer ($224) or a 5'x8' cargo trailer ($297).  But of course, that depends on what kind of hitch you get.

But getting rid of most of your stuff is probably a good idea anyway.  I moved to New York with two suitcases (a 22" carry-on and a 26" suitcase).  I flew, and that was it.  I've moved short distances in a car, though (mostly my boyfriend/now-husband's Honda Civic, so it's a bit bigger).  I left a lot of stuff at my parents' house.  Like, I had bedroom furniture that I love, but it would've cost me megabucks to get it shipped out to me so I left it there for safekeeping.

I wouldn't do a trial pack, as that would require you to pack up all of your stuff ahead of time and try to pack the car.  What I recommend is that you decide ahead of time that if you don't have enough room, what are you going to get rid of?  BTW, if you plan on furnishing when you get there, what are you moving aside from clothes anyway?  It might be cheaper to ship books media mail through USPS if you have at least a full box of those that you want to take with you.  For your clothes, you may want to get those compression bags that you can suck the air out of to make room in your car (or Eagle Creek packing compression bags, which you can reuse later on trips but also cost more).  I also agree with the trash bag advice - when I moved stuff in my car I put my clothes in trash bags, because you can mold them around your seats.  I was also going to suggest the space under the seats as well (especially for duffels) but I see rising_star has got that covered, lol.

Anything besides clothes, your computer, a few personal items, and things you plan to mail you might want to just get rid of.

I'm moving via car with no furniture, just clothes/personal items/some books and a bike, but I have ten small to mid-size boxes plus two suitcases and a file cabinet … good thing I'm moving in a huge minivan with the two back rows of seats removed and a roof rack carrier on top of the car! Luckily I only have to drive for 6 hours.

How do you really manage to reduce EVERYTHING you own to what fits in two suitcases?? I've moved overseas before and only taken that much, but I left an entire bedroom full of stuff at home in storage. At least now I will have absolutely nothing at my parents' house anymore …