What are my chances in MA Political Science admissions in these colleges?

Greetings

I'll be applying to several universities into the MA program of Political Science. Note that I will be entirely funded by a governmental scholarship in my country.

First my qualifications briefly are:

-BA in Political Science

-GPA 3.53

-Major GPA 3.42

-I hold a Masters degree of political science too, my MA GPA is 3.47

-Two published essays

-Worked with my thesis advisor in several professional academic work related to political science, by the way, my thesis advisor worked for the UN for 7 years and well known in the International Organizations & Human rights community globally.

-Work experience is minimal, 6 months.

-Two intensive workshops regarding Civil society, youth & International organizations.

- Stellar Statement of Purpose and 5 Strong letters of recommendations from political science professors.

-several extracurricular activies like about to publish two books in comparative politics.

-Extra classes attendance to expand my knowledge in political science.

-the weakest point in my application is my GRE scores, which are very low. However, i dont have time to study, plus I hope my overall application compensate the low scores. Plus, i dont think that the GRE represents my skills and performance in quant and verbal methods, which is another subject that I have addressed yesterday in another topic.

The subfields that I am interested in are mainly Comparative politics, IR, Human rights, NGO's/GO's.

Im considering to apply to the following Political science MA programs at:

1- Arizona State University

2-Uni. Of Cincinnati - Ohio

3- West Virginia University

4- Uni. Of Tennessee - Knoxville

5- Uni. Of Nebraska - Lincoln

6- Uni. Of Connecticut

7- Uni. Of Arizona Tucson

8- Uni. Of Utah - Salt lake city

7- Uni, of Illinois - Chicago

8- Uni. Of South Carolina - Columbia

9- Louisiana State Uni.

10- Michigan State Uni

11- Uni. Of Ketucky

Based on your experiences and knowledge, considering my overall brief of the application, what are my chances with the stated schools? Is it tough to be admitted? Normal chances or weak chances?

Quick note, im an international prospective student.

Opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

Edited by fuzzylogician
Corrections made at OP's request

I am confused. If you have a master degree in political science, why would you applying for another one?

I understand the confusion, the reasons behind applying to another MA in political science are various such as:

1- Although the Masters program at Kuwait University Graduate college in political science is good with faculty members graduated from US schools like Tufts university, U of Pittsburgh, Texas austin, Boston college and more. I do think that a degree from the origins of political science (US) is more reputable and beneficial in terms or academia.

2- My low GRE scores would make it hard for me to make it directly to a PhD program, as PhD placements and admissions are quite known for its highly competitve applicants due to low available placements.

3- my scholarship asks me to obtain an acceptance in a short time frame otherwise I will loose my chance to apply for the scholarship, the most flexible way is to apply for another MA.

4- I want to spend time more in the states, for intellectual, social and academic If I may say.

5- presumably and supposedly, applying to a second MA with having a one already, would expand the oppurtunities of being atleast competitive. As I had a stellar academic experience in the graduate level and proven that I am ready.

Edited by YoungR3b3l

probably because US degrees matter a whole lot more? that's my guess.

Yeah but are places like the University of Cincinnati and University of Nebraska really that much more reputable?

--------

I would advise you to find out if you can even apply to certain programs. There are probably many out there that don't even allow you to apply to a second masters in the same subject. So be careful to check before applying to any program because they might just toss your application right off the bat.

I don't personally get why anyone would do a second masters in the same subject, but all the power to you.

There are also a few things that don't quite add up in your OP. How is is possible for someone who isn't at least a Ph.D. student or have a Ph.D. to get two papers and two books published? What kind of books exactly are we talking about here? I have never seen anyone with that extensive of publishing record coming out of a masters. Like cooper said, most professors don't even have that by the time they hit tenure. 

If you actually did have that kind of record from reputable publishing presses and journals, you would honestly be a shoe-in for any Ph.D. programs as long as your application was fairly well-rounded. I have never even heard of someone publishing a book from a university press before even being a doctoral student (well there were people like Guillermo O'Donnell, but that was decades ago).

------

As far as competitiveness goes, the programs you are targeting are not extremely competitive. As far as I can see, they are all middle ranked or so state schools and MA programs aren't terribly competitive to begin with compared to Ph.D. programs on average. It is impossible to say exactly, but I would be willing to bet if you applied to all those schools you would probably get in to at least 2 or 3 of them just on odds alone.

Edited by victorydance

Yeah but are places like the University of Cincinnati and University of Nebraska really that much more reputable?

this may surprise you, but it is a widely promulgated opinion in academic and professional circles in the West that people from the third world live in mud huts, ride -insert national fauna- to work, get good grades by sleeping with their professors, and in general can buy a PhD diploma from the number 1 university in their country for 30 camels and an electric stove. but seriously, higher education in many third world countries is plagued by corruption, lack of funding, and outdated or ideological methods and practices, and diplomas from these universities do not count as a university education in the West. one would have to submit one's diploma for evaluation to get a document that says it is equivalent to a BA/MA/PhD in the States (or any other developed country), pay money for that, and still employers will be like, what is this shit? I'm sure you've heard of people with UK degrees struggling to find employment or admission in the US. and this guy is Kuwaiti. can you even find Kuwait on a map?

How is is possible for someone who isn't at least a Ph.D. student or have a Ph.D. to get two papers and two books published?

different education system, different standards. there are people and universities and governments and entire social systems that exist outside of america, you know, and they do things however they want to do things. 

this may surprise you, but it is a widely promulgated opinion in academic and professional circles in the West that people from the third world live in mud huts, ride -insert national fauna- to work, get good grades by sleeping with their professors, and in general can buy a PhD diploma from the number 1 university in their country for 30 camels and an electric stove. but seriously, higher education in many third world countries is plagued by corruption, lack of funding, and outdated or ideological methods and practices, and diplomas from these universities do not count as a university education in the West. one would have to submit one's diploma for evaluation to get a document that says it is equivalent to a BA/MA/PhD in the States (or any other developed country), pay money for that, and still employers will be like, what is this shit? I'm sure you've heard of people with UK degrees struggling to find employment or admission in the US. and this guy is Kuwaiti. can you even find Kuwait on a map?

Except that Kuwait isn't a 'third world country.' It is one of the most developed countries in the Middle East and has a HDI ranking that is in line with Central and East European countries. It has the 5th highest GDP per capita in the world. He doesn't have a Ph.D. from Kuwait, just a masters; there is a difference.

I was just pointing out that perhaps getting a masters from the University of Cincinnati when he already has one in the same subject wouldn't really help him to wherever he is trying to go.

How is is possible for someone who isn't at least a Ph.D. student or have a Ph.D. to get two papers and two books published?

different education system, different standards. there are people and universities and governments and entire social systems that exist outside of america, you know, and they do things however they want to do things. 

That's why I asked for the clarification.

I am also not American, so you can stop with the condescension jackass. It would appear that you are the one who is ignorant of other countries around the world, not I. 

Edited by victorydance