MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Has anyone... Gotten an acceptance email from Ohio State sculpture department

OR

contacted by the UCLA sculpture department

OR

contacted by the Columbia sculpture program??

Still waiting for VCU too and keeping my hopes up despite that others have gotten interviews already... A lot of people assume rejection if others say they've heard before them for interviews, but I think that might be a little bit of an extreme reaction.... I heard from Berkeley before some people and I heard from SAIC after a bunch for people for their sculpture department... It seems as if interview requests don't go out all at the same time for whatever reason! Chins up peeps! :)

Has anyone... Gotten an acceptance email from Ohio State sculpture department

OR

contacted by the UCLA sculpture department

OR

contacted by the Columbia sculpture program??

Still waiting for VCU too and keeping my hopes up despite that others have gotten interviews already... A lot of people assume rejection if others say they've heard before them for interviews, but I think that might be a little bit of an extreme reaction.... I heard from Berkeley before some people and I heard from SAIC after a bunch for people for their sculpture department... It seems as if interview requests don't go out all at the same time for whatever reason! Chins up peeps! :)

I too am waiting for Ohio State U sculpture. I was short listed so hoping for good news.

I'm also waiting for ucla sculpture, I applied last year so we shall see.

Still waiting to hear something from VCU Sculpture. I know from last year they contact people for interviews throughout a month period. Last year someone was contacted for an interview well into March and got in. It's not worth worrying too much about this stuff I guess

Edited by Coreythegiraffe

rzmfa15-

My decision would depend on how much money i have set aside in the bank, if any OR how much you'd  be willing to work or take out in a loan (though I know you'd rather not- I don't think anyone WANTS to!).. 2k for the year wont last long. Having said that, that's a pretty good financial offer on the school's part (tuition and 2k?!). If you like the school enough, I'd take it. Who knows what offers would be made next year.

If however there are schools you'd like more, hold off. you can save up and work  more in the upcoming year, and do a fully dedicated application rotation next year. I don't know how old  you are, but for me the clock is ticking on getting my career going!- so for me that's a factor as well. When does the pressure of time overpower base loans?

TLDNR:

young with eyes elsewhere: wait.

like the school and have financial options: take it.

Edited by valoia

Had my interview with SFAI MFA today- it was rather short, but John was quite nice. I guess I should have taken more time on the open ended questions, but it's just not my style to ramble in conversation! Still, he said he liked what he saw and he could definitely see me in the program- now back to the waiting game!

Still no word  from  Carnegie Mellon, folks?

Today was the shortlist visit with Ohio State University, and it went really well. If you were invited and couldn't make it, the general consensus with all of us prospective grads is that the program is very warm and welcoming, the faculty and students are motivated and inspiring, and the resources at OSU are incredible.

From what I understand, they are accepting 2 people into the sculpture program. Expect to hear a decision in 2ish weeks.

I too am waiting for Ohio State U sculpture. I was short listed so hoping for good news.

I'm also waiting for ucla sculpture, I applied last year so we shall see.

Still waiting to hear something from VCU Sculpture. I know from last year they contact people for interviews throughout a month period. Last year someone was contacted for an interview well into March and got in. It's not worth worrying too much about this stuff I guess

nice to know VCU doesn't send out all the requests at once.  And you're right about not worrying too much you never know what will happen. Thanks for the insight.

Hey congrats! And guess I might see you in UCLA's interview! Can I ask what kinds of medium you work with? (like more code base, or 3D, or web, etc?)

I've got an e-mail today from UCLA and they told me that DMA department has decided to rescind their offer to interview me and they won't be considering my application for admissions.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this! 

Edited by unifield

I've got an e-mail today from UCLA and they told me that DMA department has decided to rescind their offer to interview me and they won't be considering my application for admissions.

Shit show.

Have u considered Calarts Art and Tech?

everyone's worst nightmare there.

better than getting a false acceptance letter i suppose, like what happened with 800 rejected applicants from Carnegie Mellon computer sciences department...

still, sorry for the hard news

I've got an e-mail today from UCLA and they told me that DMA department has decided to rescind their offer to interview me and they won't be considering my application for admissions.

omg, I'm sorry, this is terrible. I don't know if it can make any difference but should you appeal or at least ask for a reason? to me it's just so weird that they would so abruptly rescind an interview request.

what a nightmare.  Could there be anything that happened?  The language that they 'won't be considering your application for admissions' is really specific - ie. they could have said 'we've considered your application and your work isn't strong enough', etc.  Could there be some transcript or reference mix-up or issue?  I feel like you definitely deserve an explanation from the school.  You paid your fee and completed the process, so it seems as though they're obliged to 'consider your application'.

hope you're able to get some info / resolution on this

I've got an e-mail today from UCLA and they told me that DMA department has decided to rescind their offer to interview me and they won't be considering my application for admissions.

I am so sorry to hear that. That is horrible. I hope you find out more information for your peace of mind.

Question for the group, any response helps!

I have a friend who is a current MFA first year at University of Nebraska Lincoln.  I visited last fall, met the Painting department head, dropped in on classes, attended a critique.  I liked what I experienced there but wondered what it would be like living there for three years as a life long large city west coaster. 

To be frank, I let time pass by with other projects and decided last minute to apply at UNL as a test round - I've never applied for grad schools before and wanted to break the ice.  I also knew that if you don't start fully funded an UNL, it's likely you end up with full funding by the second year.  (I'm quite indebted from my undergrad and not willing to go into more debt for an MFA.)

ANYHOW - I got in and now I'm feeling very torn on if I should accept given that I didn't apply yo any other programs.  

They made on offer over the phone, I'm waiting for the email breakdown of the financials.  The gist is they offered me a 1/2 GTA.  This means that with tuition remission one semester is free, the other semester can be paid for with the stipend.  So tuition is covered and funding leaves about $2000.00 left over - not much for living expenses and supplies.  

I know no one can tell me what to do (wouldn't want that anyway.)  But ANY insights / opinions / observations you'd like to share with me would be incredibly helpful.  

Thanks!

Ive thought about applying to UNL as well. Its important to weigh in location. But the attractive thing about Mid-West schools is that they offer great funding/ awesome facilities and IMO are some of the best art schools in the country.  Personally, Id rather go somewhere practically free/cheap. But who wants to leave Portland ; ) ? So, you can wait and apply to other programs after you've dipped your toes in the water. Or you can jump into this grad experience. Its a tough call.

Today was the shortlist visit with Ohio State University, and it went really well. If you were invited and couldn't make it, the general consensus with all of us prospective grads is that the program is very warm and welcoming, the faculty and students are motivated and inspiring, and the resources at OSU are incredible.

From what I understand, they are accepting 2 people into the sculpture program. Expect to hear a decision in 2ish weeks.

I was really torn to not be able to go. I talked with the admissions coordinator about not attending the visit day, since I live in Los Angeles, and he seemed to think that it was perfectly acceptable to not attend and that it had no bearing on the admissions decision. I hope this is the case. But now I'm a little nervous since two is not a big number... thoughts? 

Just finished my interview with VCU sculpture and extended media

whoa so weird that is already over and completely out of my hands now... 

it was really great they are so easy to talk to and two MFAs also sat in and asked me questions. 5 people total. 

hot damn the faculty there are amazing.

Edited by 00000000

it was really great they are so easy to talk to and two MFAs also sat in and asked me questions. 5 people total.

Congrats! When were you contacted? Do you know if they are done contacting prospective students?

Sounds amazing! Which faculty interviewed you?

I would love to work with Michael Jones McKean

Just found out I'm second on the waitlist at UGA. Is it likely that a spot will open up?

This is my first time applying. It is my understanding that in order for me to get accepted, someone currently

accepted has to decline, then the 1st person on the wait list is offered.......and if they decline, I would get in....

This seems very unlikely. I have little experience or knowledge in these matters. Is there a chance?

It seems like such a long shot.