MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Just found out I'm second on the waitlist at UGA. Is it likely that a spot will open up? 

This is my first time applying. It is my understanding that in order for me to get accepted, someone currently 

accepted has to decline, then the 1st person on the wait list is offered.......and if they decline, I would get in....

This seems very unlikely. I have little experience or knowledge in these matters. Is there a chance? 

It seems like such a long shot. 

Funny story I emailed UGA to find out where I am on the waiting list and got a response from the School of Art Graduate Office saying I was 2nd in line as well. Then I got a second email from Stephen Scheer saying "On behalf of the Photography program, I can answer your email to say that we don't have a definitive order for our wait list applicants at this time.” So, not really sure what they’re doing over there haha.

do you guys think they contact all the painters who they want to interview the same day, all the printmakers the same day, all the sculptors the same day etc?

Yay I hope so! I'm just hoping that since I've seen other schools contact people in sections for a department, that's what's happening here. But, who knows same day theory could be true too..

also, if you look in your "directory" in slideroom (right above: "completed") does it say anything???

Nope! What does yours say

Yay I hope so! I'm just hoping that since I've seen other schools contact people in sections for a department, that's what's happening here. But, who knows same day theory could be true too..

Nope! What does yours say

nothing I was just wondering...this whole thing is so spooky, i'm just looking for signs

Anyone have their interview with SVA yet?? If so how did it go? What have they asked?

I had mine today. he asked about a particular piece he liked, complimented my artist statement, asked why SVA, why grad school and ultimately if I have any Qs. then what other schools I applied to and gave me his opinion of those programs, which was kinda weird IMO. All the 'prep' I did was largely useless and psyched me out a little bit. I'd pause after answers and not rush through it if you can.

overall it was quick tho, not like an interrogation or anything. mark tribe is a nice dude.

Funny story I emailed UGA to find out where I am on the waiting list and got a response from the School of Art Graduate Office saying I was 2nd in line as well. Then I got a second email from Stephen Scheer saying "On behalf of the Photography program, I can answer your email to say that we don't have a definitive order for our wait list applicants at this time.” So, not really sure what they’re doing over there haha.

Maybe they just tell everyone they are 2nd in line! I applied to a different program but it probably works the same way. I guess we will see.

Good luck to everyone

I had mine today. he asked about a particular piece he liked, complimented my artist statement, asked why SVA, why grad school and ultimately if I have any Qs. then what other schools I applied to and gave me his opinion of those programs, which was kinda weird IMO. All the 'prep' I did was largely useless and psyched me out a little bit. I'd pause after answers and not rush through it if you can.

overall it was quick tho, not like an interrogation or anything. mark tribe is a nice dude.

Wonderful, thank you! I met Mark during my tour with JP in November -- he was really nice. Fingers crossed and good luck!!

Hi everyone!

I result searched for "iowa painting" and figured that the earliest result came out on feb 26 last year. Maybe we can expect to hear back from iowa this week? I'm having my fingers crossed  :unsure:

Also I saw a lot of new users visiting my website from baltimore recently (it was 2 or 4 last time I checked, which is about one or two weeks ago)....  I know some painting applicants got interview notifications earlier this month if I'm remembering it correctly, and I didn't get one... could this boost of visits in baltimore possibly mean anything?? maybe a waitlist or something like that? ahhhh i'm becoming way too anxious than I should be :(

good luck for the interviews/applications/random things everyone! also happy new year if anyone here is celebrating lunar new year :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------

update 

I just figured out how to use google analytics to see when did those visits from baltimore happen... 

1 on Jan 30, 1 on feb 3, 2 on feb 5 (guess they're reviewing...)

6 on feb 15 (which is the next day of painting interviews), 3 on feb 19 

hopefully it's something.......

Edited by ning124

I'm SOOOO worried I won't get into or be properly funded for the schools I have applied to.. So much so that I am now trolling the internet for ANY other schools that have unusually late deadlines.

Other than those in Europe I am at a total loss. Does anyone else have these feelings and have you found anywhere else to apply to that has application deadlines after tomorrow?!

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

Got an interview for Columbia Painting!! Super excited now

Interview at tyler went really well, it was really relaxing and conversational. Also Philadelphia seems like a great city!

I think admissions decisions are happening for a lot of schools this week, good luck y'all!

Columbia-interview March

Tyler- interview 2/21

SFAI-interview 2/20

VCU- interview 2/8

UT Austin- interview 2/6

UCLA (nothin)

Berkeley (crickets)

Hunter (more nothin and crickets)

Did you receive the email from admissions yet about the Painting interview at Columbia? I got a phone call telling me I will be notified, but havent recieved the official email yet to set the date and time....?

Just checked my LinkedIn at random, and saw that someone from Carnegie Mellon had viewed my profile a couple days ago, indicative of two things: CMU has started reviewing MFA apps AND…looks like there's another way to dot your i's and cross your t's when applying to grad schools. You just never know!

VCU sculpture, anyone?  anyone?   I know there have been a couple of folks who have interviewed.  Has anyone been accepted/rejected yet?  This limbo business is killing me.

AND I wanted to let y'all know, Tulane is supposedly restarting their sculpture program next fall.  I'm pretty sure it's well funded.  Also, the University of New Orleans has an MFA program, to which I was accepted a few days ago.  Granted, it doesn't have a sexy name like other bigger schools, but there is funding, there are some great artists on the faculty, and it's in New Orleans.  Just food for thought if some of you might want to consider other options.  New Orleans is an amazing city with a very vibrant art scene and still relatively cheap.  I currently have an 841sqft studio (working space)  with a 220 outlet, shared bathroom (with shower) and I pay $360/month.  Can't beat that!

Good luck to everyone!  Decisions are going to be coming more frequently now.  And congratulations to those who have been accepted and made decisions!!!