MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Just visited/interviewed at UC Santa Barbara yesterday... Probably no other campus as beautiful as theirs!

Has anyone heard anything from University of Washington? They are the only school I've heard nothing from thus far.

Just visited/interviewed at UC Santa Barbara yesterday... Probably no other campus as beautiful as theirs!

Has anyone heard anything from U Wash? They are the only school I've heard nothing from thus far.

Santa Barbara is beautiful! I went to the open studios last fall. I'm still waiting on U Washington. Someone from the school looked at my website but I haven't heard anything yet.

How did you find out what spot you got on the waitlist? I was also waitlisted there so I'm wondering where I'm currently falling on that list.

In my email, it asked for a response if you intended to stay on the waiting list. I responded and asked what position I was on the list. 

They got back to me rather quickly. I am really hoping something happens, We shall see.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by papers

Has anyone heard anything from U Wash? They are the only school I've heard nothing from thus far.

How did you like UCSB's art department? I wasn't able to make it yesterday, will be visiting mid March.

I was really torn to not be able to go. I talked with the admissions coordinator about not attending the visit day, since I live in Los Angeles, and he seemed to think that it was perfectly acceptable to not attend and that it had no bearing on the admissions decision. I hope this is the case. But now I'm a little nervous since two is not a big number... thoughts?

I'm not sure. Two sculpture prospective grads came, and they had lunch with the sculpture faculty. I mean, it's probably a good thing they came, shows the faculty who they are as a person (because wanting to work with a student is also important,) but if your work is super stellar, then maybe it doesn't matter. I do think that coming was advantageous, but since you're so far away maybe they won't count that against you. Just keep your fingers crossed I guess.

Hello all,

I'm sitting here typing in Philadelphia, flew in from Wyoming.  I've just had my interview with the Tyler painting faculty and talked with the grad students.  The whole experience was really great.  The interview was nothing like what I thought it was going to be and everyone was super friendly.  The interview was a conversation with the faculty concerning my work.  They didn't even ask me why I applied there.  It was a very wonderful breath of fresh air and honest. 

It is great because I had a skype interview with VCU that I think went okay, but it proceeded to ruin my day anyways.  They ask some tough shit.  Like I said, it went okay but sheesh...also it was super stilted and formal with them asking scripted questions and writing the content of the interview by hand.

If I am accepted there, I intend to visit and get a feel for the people and the program.  Fingers crossed. 

I also got to speak to another who was interviewing here, who also skyped with VCU.  He had the same experience, "great and all, tuff questions, the thought of screwing up ruined the rest of the day."

Tyler seems wonderful, the only issue that seems a little murky is the funding and assistantship situation.  They said if I am accepted more will be explained concerning how that works.  Other than that, this place seems awesome. 

Congrats to everyone thus far and good luck to everyone for future interviews.

Tyler-- Interviewed 2/21

VCU--Interviewed 2/9

Hunter--

Rutgers--

UW Madison--Accepted.  Funding interviews in March

University of Iowa--

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign--

University of Minnesota--

Will be on again soon.

Over and out...............................................................

Edited by jcloud1002

I have to ask: what questions did VCU ask ? Or, what type of questions if you don't recall specifically. (if you're open to sharing)

Hello all,

I'm sitting here typing in Philadelphia, flew in from Wyoming.  I've just had my interview with the Tyler painting faculty and talked with the grad students.  The whole experience was really great.  The interview was nothing like what I thought it was going to be and everyone was super friendly.  The interview was a conversation with the faculty concerning my work.  They didn't even ask me why I applied there.  It was a very wonderful breath of fresh air and honest. 

It is great because I had a skype interview with VCU that I think went okay, but it proceeded to ruin my day anyways.  They ask some tough shit.  Like I said, it went okay but sheesh...also it was super stilted and formal with them asking scripted questions and writing the content of the interview by hand.

If I am accepted there, I intend to visit and get a feel for the people and the program.  Fingers crossed. 

I also got to speak to another who was interviewing here, who also skyped with VCU.  He had the same experience, "great and all, tuff questions, the thought of screwing up ruined the rest of the day."

Tyler seems wonderful, the only issue that seems a little murky is the funding and assistantship situation.  They said if I am accepted more will be explained concerning how that works.  Other than that, this place seems awesome. 

Congrats to everyone thus far and good luck to everyone for future interviews.

Tyler-- Interviewed 2/21

VCU--Interviewed 2/9

Hunter--

Rutgers--

UW Madison--Accepted.  Funding interviews in March

University of Iowa--

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign--

University of Minnesota--

Will be on again soon.

Over and out...............................................................

I have no clue if they are done looking at people I know he said I was on the shortlist for vcu sculpture. I thought the questions weren't hard at all. It was surprisingly non formal and very comforting. Very simple questions. Why vcu? Artists you look at. Who is your artist nemesis? Books in reading. What I can bring to vcu. Pretty standard five person panel. Two mfas. I really want to work with McKean as well! And ester..ah their faculty is so wondedul.

How did you like UCSB's art department? I wasn't able to make it yesterday, will be visiting mid March.

All the faculty are very actively engaged with their own work as well as that of their students. I really enjoyed speaking with all the ones I got a chance to meet, as well as many of the first year grad students (only a few 2nd years made it to the dinner event they held for all the prospective students). I see you have already been accepted - I’m sure you will absolutely love it when you visit. Their facilities are practically brand new and quite centrally located (plus with a great view of the lagoon). 

In my email, it asked for a response if you intended to stay on the waiting list. I responded and asked what position I was on the list. 

They got back to me rather quickly. I am really hoping something happens, We shall see.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you, I’ll just shoot them an email to ask! I realize now that I read their email first thing in the morning and must have just scanned the rest of it after seeing “waitlisted” haha. 

I emailed RISD to ask if they are finished sending out interview offers and should I assume rejection if I didn't get one, and the lady said 'I am sorry, I do not know."

Hmm...... 

Edited by ouchfinger

I got an email two days ago said I been accepted to RISD's printmaking program with fellowship, but they didn't interview me.....

That's so cool! If you can afford it with the help from the fellowship, I would take that offer! Unless, you're most interested in somewhere else. Congrats!! :) I'm excited for you anonymous stranger hehe!!

I hope I get into RISD too and they help me financially! Got my interview coming up

Second this. If you've been offered a fellowship at such a highly ranked institution....take it!!!!

That's so cool! If you can afford it with the help from the fellowship, I would take that offer! Unless, you're most interested in somewhere else. Congrats!! :) I'm excited for you anonymous stranger hehe!!

I hope I get into RISD too and they help me financially! Got my interview coming up

So when I applied to FSU (top choice!) when I had to enter faculty preferences the link there brought me to a list of art history faculty. I recognized them from previous research but was so confused! Not realizing at the time I was in the art history department since they provided the link :/ so instead of the amazing faculty in the studio department I listed history professors!

I think that will be my doom even if I would have otherwise been accepted. I'm so dissapointed in myself, was anyone else dumb enough to make this fumble?!

From 2014 it looks like people only found out acceptance during the first/second week of March for both FSU and Carnegie Mellon....

Im still getting used to this forum but I've been checking it religiously. Has anyone heard from Carnegie Mellon or SVA?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

From last year it looked like 1-2nd week of March they get in touch. I would like to know if they contacted my recommender a, but am too afraid to ask!

For anyone who is coming to the saic interview event feb 28th/ March 1st. We should go out for dinner after the reception! I live in chicago so I know a good handful of places with cheap/good food.

I'll be in town Saturday evening for a Sunday interview. I'd possibly be down. I grew up in the south suburbs and know chicago fairly well. Do you think the reception will be fairly informal? There is a chance I'll be a little late due to my work schedule. Thanks

I'll be in town Saturday evening for a Sunday interview. I'd possibly be down. I grew up in the south suburbs and know chicago fairly well. Do you think the reception will be fairly informal? There is a chance I'll be a little late due to my work schedule. Thanks

In 2010, I was interviewed by SAIC painting department.  Mine was scheduled in the morning so after my interview I was invited to take a tour guided by MFA Painting candidates.  MFA candidates did ask while walking to the museum who already got interviewed and by who.  This questions seemed like a casual talk but you just never know.  During my interview, I was encouraged to attend the reception and I had the same questions NicholasR1031.  Remember it was 2010 so it might have changed but I hardly doubt it.  I thought Faculty would be present but it was a casual (almost party) were all MFA candidates and interviewees were trying to talk over loud music.  Some students dancing on what seem the....gallery???  I did see one MFA candidate overlooking everyone (maybe it is just me). 

This time around I got once more invited to interview but I took the Skype option.  I live far away, but would take the invitation Derpderpderp is making and everyone going should try to buddy up.  It can be a very lonely place during this interview process that depending on the person that you are could affect your interview and it helps before and after to talk about your work and also deal with the nerves.  I remember that day meeting people after my interview and feeling "I should have said that during my interview."

Does anyone have thoughts about schools asking where you applied / interviewed? I meant to talk to my professors about how to handle that. I do not know if it is appropriate or curious or what. and today during my interview I was asked. Unprepared, I told them.. what are your thoughts ?