MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

did they give you any idea who might be coming in to take their places?

Nope.  It was pretty frustrating and disappointing. I'm sure whoever it is will be good but it'd be nice to know - especially when they are asking in an interview who you'd like to work with and everyone you list is either leaving or has left.

well there was a rumor on last years board or maybe it was earlier on this one that frances stark would be leaving and i was hoping it wasn't true but she has totally left (dont know why) but up until a week ago she was still listed as faculty on the site.  also apparently tala madani is possibly leaving and charlie white will be working in undergrad. also they told me that funding has been cut and that they no longer provide full rides but you can get close.  not sure what that means exactly.

Thanks for letting us know about this. It's a shame. The 3 reasons I applied to USC were Madani/lockhart as teachers, Full funding opportunities, and living in LA. I had noticed there was a change in the website, but none of this is mentioned. maybe too many students withdrew their applications because of the changes and other people were called as a filler XD. Was your interview as short as mine? Were more faculty members there?

The faculty is still pretty good. We'll see what the funding offer is (the vice dean said they would make decisions really soon)

Congratulations to all those who were admitted! :)

Out of curiosity, is anyone else a non-art school grad (undergraduate) with a non-art related degree? 

I have no study/work experience in the arts just the portfolio that I submitted. I'm looking forward to a challenging 2-3 years.

Got the initial funding offer from SFAI today. Offering 14k per year. Considering it's a bill of almost 46k, that's not all that much! :wacko:

Congrats to everyone getting acceptances! 

My Bard interview wasn't great. :-/ The train commute upstate in all the snow was a little magical and several people likened it to going to Hogwarts. It is a very interesting place. However I keep reminding myself it's a whole lot of $ for very little program, in spite of the awesome connections. Made some instant friends through the near cult-like intro day. A girl I met got her acceptance email the very next day. 

Congrats to everyone getting acceptances! 

My Bard interview wasn't great. :-/ The train commute upstate in all the snow was a little magical and several people likened it to going to Hogwarts. It is a very interesting place. However I keep reminding myself it's a whole lot of $ for very little program, in spite of the awesome connections. Made some instant friends through the near cult-like intro day. A girl I met got her acceptance email the very next day. 

Hey Marchy, hope the result still come out well for you! I didn't apply to Bard but am curious to know more about the "cult like intro day" if you care to share a bit more details :)

Hey Marchy, hope the result still come out well for you! I didn't apply to Bard but am curious to know more about the "cult like intro day" if you care to share a bit more details :)

I'm sure I'll be rejected based on the interview but thank you! To expound, all of us in our 2-hour window were brought in at the same time and it was instantly very social, much like the program is described. You're thrown in together to socialize and meet everyone all at once just prior to interviewing. Kind of like church before or after the service. Everyone was smiling and very friendly, so it was pretty cool and scary at the same time. The interview was quite cold and daunting, however. Otherwise, a very sexy friendly art cult. Many interviewees were also accepted to Yale, Columbia & UCLA. 

Hey tdevo412

Hows ur NYU interview going? ;)

It was amazing. It is the only interview where I was met by the current 1st AND 2nd year students. We hung out for about an hour chatted and ate cheese and fruit, asked them questions, a million questions. They were really warm and welcoming and I melted right in. There was a fellow interviewer who ended up knowing who I was and my work because of this forum. I was kind of shocked and it was really cool. 

The interview wasn't stressful at all... Even if I have no idea what I said for the first five minutes. They asked me a lot about me and how they work came to be. they asked me what i was reading, and I ended up giving them a full blown list and recommendations for books to read. The chair was there, Maureen Gallace, the graduate coordanator Jordan Albaugh, and I don't remember the other woman's name but they were all really wonderful. They kept telling me congratulations, but I'm not sure what for so I just kept saying "Thank You". Keep in mind I have a killer sinus infection so everything was like being underwater and I sounded like the slug from Monsters inc.

After I got out the the interview I got an email from the chair of PAFA, asking for a Skype interview to get a little one on one time. I also got an email from SVA asking to talk Scholarships.

Congrats to everyone's acceptances so far! If you are waiting, hang in there!

It was amazing. It is the only interview where I was met by the current 1st AND 2nd year students. We hung out for about an hour chatted and ate cheese and fruit, asked them questions, a million questions. They were really warm and welcoming and I melted right in. There was a fellow interviewer who ended up knowing who I was and my work because of this forum. I was kind of shocked and it was really cool. 

The interview wasn't stressful at all... Even if I have no idea what I said for the first five minutes. They asked me a lot about me and how they work came to be. they asked me what i was reading, and I ended up giving them a full blown list and recommendations for books to read. The chair was there, Maureen Gallace, the graduate coordanator Jordan Albaugh, and I don't remember the other woman's name but they were all really wonderful. They kept telling me congratulations, but I'm not sure what for so I just kept saying "Thank You". Keep in mind I have a killer sinus infection so everything was like being underwater and I sounded like the slug from Monsters inc.

After I got out the the interview I got an email from the chair of PAFA, asking for a Skype interview to get a little one on one time. I also got an email from SVA asking to talk Scholarships.

Congrats to everyone's acceptances so far! If you are waiting, hang in there!

Hey tdevo412

Thanks for ur sharing! I think it went so well on you! u must have a great personality and wonderful portfolio. haha

So i guess there were 5 ppl interviewing you? including the 2 current students? lol, im going to the NYU interview this thursday, and im kinda nervous you know. LOL 

But im so glad you'd like to share your experience with me. ;))

I still haven't heard back from Parsons, SVA, or RISD regarding their MFA design program. Should I call it rejection all around now?

I would give the admissions offices of your schools a quick call.  I don't think they mind answering questions about dates, and whether notices have been sent out, etc, if they have this information available.  And it's better than feeling stressed out with not knowing since design program dates and admissions processes may be pretty different than the fine arts departments that most on here are applying to.

hi wzhao,

I will have to re-read the email with the instructions. It sort of freaked me out...lol...and made me more nervous. Yes about images, but regarding the quality, I will do my absolute best, but to have it all ready in a week is a bit much to ask for super-high quality images.

Definitely nervous.

Have you heard from Columbia?

I know... I just got some proof of my images and I am not too happy! Freaking out!!

And no I have never heard from Columbia. I am not sure about the slideroom rumor, but I still have the title as 2015 Painting MFA.

OMG I am starting to doubt myself. :(

Hey WillBengston, I also got into Otis with a decent scholarship. I'm across the country and have not been able to visit the school. Since you're there already I was curious if you had any insight into the grad program. My main draw was some of the faculty and the studios location in Culver City. How does the program stack up to other Los Angeles ones in your opinion? Any bit of information is helpful in making these difficult decisions.

Well, Culver City is great for sure, as that is where all the openings are, and its just a pretty hip city. Plus, curators will do studio visits locally.The studios are also nice. I think the M.F.A. program can hold up to any in Los Angeles. The grad students I have talked to all speak highly of the program. A recent graduate (Katie Kowen) just had a Solo Exhibition at Cherry and Martin. The M.F.A. students have their thesis shows in the Bolsky Gallery, so I have seen almost all of them. Some are a yawn, but many of them are impressive. 

I know... I just got some proof of my images and I am not too happy! Freaking out!!

And no I have never heard from Columbia. I am not sure about the slideroom rumor, but I still have the title as 2015 Painting MFA.

OMG I am starting to doubt myself. :(

hey wzhao,

what time is ur hunter interview ?

hi wzhao

are you also going to bring ur old works that u submitted thru slideroom?  

yestoyeahhhh, i think I would mostly bring work i show on slideroom, because most of them are done within a year. 

Just for people who are still wondering what to bring, like I am lol. Here is what one of my professors from college, who has a mentor at Hunter College wrote me when I asked him for advise: "I think for your images you want to show your skills, your work ethic, and your conceptual but interdisciplinary focus. Hunter is an amazing program and they have people who care about whether you know how to formally use materials AND have a conceptual backbone."

I guess we have to interpret this ourselves?

I haven't heard a single thing from RISD, should I just assume rejection at this point? :( why can't they just send an email if they know? is anyone else in the same boat?

Me too... Oh well.

me three!!

OH MY GOD.... This is freaking me out. How come I got an email this morning telling me that decisions would be posted on Friday, while it is only Tuesday?? Probably a nope.

mine is at 12:00. im praying...lol hope it would go well. are you going to visit the mfa open studio after that?

and good luck to your interview:)

Yes I am visiting the open studio after. 

Lol Good luck to you too! I am excited and nervous...

Hey guys that are Interviewing for Hunter,

What are your check in times? it seems like there are some who are interviewing early in the afternoon and some who are interviewing later. I thought they met with all of the interviewees as a group first.