MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Members, if I have learned anything from my first year of applying: FILL OUT FASFA, FOLLOW UP, FOLLW UP, FOLLOW UP. I had a misleading letter of acceptance and now I am embroiled in a dispute with administration. Sigh...

Edited by photochick

Congrats to everyone getting some news! You worked hard for it! And for those who are still waiting on their favorite programs, like myself, HANG IN THERE! We haven't lost our minds yet -- I think that says something. We just have to make it through another weekend. Fingers crossed.

So sorry to hear that! That's scary. What happened with the letter, if you don't mind my asking? 

Members, if I have learned anything from my first year of applying: FILL OUT FASFA, FOLLOW UP, FOLLW UP, FOLLOW UP. I had a misleading letter of acceptance and now I am embroiled in a dispute with administration. Sigh...

Hello to those trying to make a decision on CMU. I just wanted to let you know that, concerning financial considerations, there are quite a few additional funding opportunities and extras available in our program that help offset some of the costs. For example, the graduates take a trip to the Venice Biennale every other year and the cost is offset by $1000. If planned right, the total cost of your trip is almost entirely paid for by a generous grant to the program. The Frank-Ratchye Studio offers micro grants to just about anyone who writes for one (up to $500) and several larger grants up to $2500 per calender year. Also available are GUSH grants, conference funding twice a year, and grants for 1st and 2nd year shows through the school. Most recently, our first and second year shows this semester were awarded $450 per person to cover material costs (per person to those that applied (11 of us wrote up a proposal). Often, some sort of funding can be found if you look for it. Last month, our first year class took a field trip to NYC to visit The Triennial at the New Museum, other new shows, have Q and A's with some galleries and artists- much of which was funded by the school with a grant our professor applied for. Other perks include free bus fare anywhere in Pittsburgh, free admission to most of Pittsburgh's art museums, the Phipps Conservatory, and other places of cultural interest. One last thing- Carnegie Mellon is one of the universities that will assist in costs associated with attending Skowhegan if you are accepted to attend their summer program.

All that being said, this is not NYC- which should be obvious. What CMU offers is a small, fairly rigorous program where you will be known by name, have many opportunities for studio visits with visiting artists and critics (and of course, faculty). There is the new iDeATE program which is a truly interdisciplinary program in which to take classes in expanding your knowledge of programming in video, sound, and a variety of new media programs, but all of the resources for traditional media are here as well. 

One last thing- just about everyone here has the exact same funding as everyone else coming in and throughout the program. Any additional funding is up to you, but it is around.

I hope some of that information is helpful to those on the fence. 

So sorry to hear that! That's scary. What happened with the letter, if you don't mind my asking? 

Misleading letter about funding and TA positions for first years. A lot of he said/she said about funding opportunities and potential work-study. It's like they want you to be broke.

Hello to those trying to make a decision on CMU. I just wanted to let you know that, concerning financial considerations, there are quite a few additional funding opportunities and extras available in our program that help offset some of the costs. For example, the graduates take a trip to the Venice Biennale every other year and the cost is offset by $1000. If planned right, the total cost of your trip is almost entirely paid for by a generous grant to the program. The Frank-Ratchye Studio offers micro grants to just about anyone who writes for one (up to $500) and several larger grants up to $2500 per calender year. Also available are GUSH grants, conference funding twice a year, and grants for 1st and 2nd year shows through the school. Most recently, our first and second year shows this semester were awarded $450 per person to cover material costs (per person to those that applied (11 of us wrote up a proposal). Often, some sort of funding can be found if you look for it. Last month, our first year class took a field trip to NYC to visit The Triennial at the New Museum, other new shows, have Q and A's with some galleries and artists- much of which was funded by the school with a grant our professor applied for. Other perks include free bus fare anywhere in Pittsburgh, free admission to most of Pittsburgh's art museums, the Phipps Conservatory, and other places of cultural interest. One last thing- Carnegie Mellon is one of the universities that will assist in costs associated with attending Skowhegan if you are accepted to attend their summer program.

All that being said, this is not NYC- which should be obvious. What CMU offers is a small, fairly rigorous program where you will be known by name, have many opportunities for studio visits with visiting artists and critics (and of course, faculty). There is the new iDeATE program which is a truly interdisciplinary program in which to take classes in expanding your knowledge of programming in video, sound, and a variety of new media programs, but all of the resources for traditional media are here as well. 

One last thing- just about everyone here has the exact same funding as everyone else coming in and throughout the program. Any additional funding is up to you, but it is around.

Thanks so much for the info!

Thanks Ismewilde for this great information. You seem very happy there and it's encouraging to hear. That's great that additional funding is out there for grabs. Are any or many of you still having to work full-time/ part-time while in the program? And would you say it pretty easy to find a good part-time job in P-bg? 

Hey all. Plug for next year...

Just finished a visit with UMich. They paid for EVERYTHING- just to visit. The other funding opportunities are out of this world. Program is amazing and resources are next level shit in terms of faculty, new media, libraries, conference/residency/project funding and I'm very impressed with the work of current students. They really pulled out all the stops for accepted students. If you are interdisciplinary and a go-getter, this university is worth applying to. All students accepted this year (5 of us) are fully funded with material and travel stipend. We had lovely dinners with faculty and current grads while here.

If the school wants you, they will pay YOU to come study with them and pay for your entire visit; I cannot stress this enough. Today, outside curators said UM is competing with the top art schools/programs in the country and, while expectations are very high, they have a stupid amount of money to hand out. Research universities FTW.

Hi everyone, Long time lurker, first time poster. I have appreciated your insight and discussions about our admissions process. I've seen a handful of posts about NYU, and wanted to speak up and let you know that they are in the process of sending out acceptance emails; not all at once, but over a period of time. If you interviewed and haven't heard back, hang in there. Best of luck!

Great! Thanks for letting us know. Will NYU definitely send everyone a decision before April 15th when we need to notify other schools?

Also, Evol is my favorite sonic youth album. :)

hi juniper! i did accept PSU's offer after i got word of some additional external funding to help sweeten the deal. i know based on an email with Ian that at least one of the applicants that they offered admission to is still deciding, as of a few days ago, so there may still be hope yet.

if anyone else is going to PSU please message me!! would love to connect since it's such a small program.

I was thinking of applying to PSU for 2016. Whats the funding like there? I tried contacting them about it but no on ever got back to me.

I was thinking of applying to PSU for 2016. Whats the funding like there? I tried contacting them about it but no on ever got back to me.

Assuming you mean Portland State U (not Penn) - During your GA, they offer partial tuition remission ($3000/term, 3 out of 6 terms over 2 years) and a small stipend. If you are from out of state, they also offer in-state tuition during your GA which is a significant difference. I assume these offerings are the same for everyone. I was also offered 2 scholarships from PSU. Total, it works out to be about 1 out of 2 years fully funded by PSU. I was lucky enough to receive an external scholarship to cover the other half. 

Thanks Ismewilde for this great information. You seem very happy there and it's encouraging to hear. That's great that additional funding is out there for grabs. Are any or many of you still having to work full-time/ part-time while in the program? And would you say it pretty easy to find a good part-time job in P-bg? 

I don't know anyone in the program who works full-time- and only one person who works once a week. Working more than that while in the grad program isn't ideal and frankly, probably near to impossible, IMO. There are also paid positions to oversee various shops throughout the school at a decent hourly rate if you are wanting some additional income. The costs of living is fairly low here with few paying more than $500 a month for rent and some lower than $400.

finally got my snail mail letter of acceptance from Hunter, no word on funding so I'm guessing everyone was correct in saying they don't do funding? anyone get a different package?

Hey chiboi,

I got mine yesterday, and it seems the same as yours. They say we have about 3 weeks (as of the date on the letter) to make a decision. Have you made yours?

Mine is between Rutgers (with a large package) and Hunter. I see you've been admitted to Columbia too. Congrats!

Hi everyone,

This is my first year applying for grad school. I do not have a design background, had my bachelor degree on psychology.

I applied to RISD, MICA, Pratt and I'm accepted into MICA post-bacc graphic design and Pratt MS packaging design. To me it's really a tough decision to make because I've heard that these two institutes have very different ways in teaching. Can someone give me some advice??

And I am wondering what's the possibility of students in post-bacc program being accepted in MFA program in MICA or other good design schools?

Thanks!!!>m<

Edited by vs_staste

mine is over rutgers and nyu...let me know what you guys think...i am very very new to the states and any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.Also..do let me know about the schools keeping aside the financial factor...and more about the program and exposur and growth...my work is interdisciplinary...more into sculptural photography and performance aspect.

Hey chiboi,

I got mine yesterday, and it seems the same as yours. They say we have about 3 weeks (as of the date on the letter) to make a decision. Have you made yours?

Mine is between Rutgers (with a large package) and Hunter. I see you've been admitted to Columbia too. Congrats!

Thanks! Right now I'm leaning towards Columbia-but waiting on possible better funding (so far not so good)

mine is over rutgers and nyu...let me know what you guys think...i am very very new to the states and any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.Also..do let me know about the schools keeping aside the financial factor...and more about the program and exposur and growth...my work is interdisciplinary...more into sculptural photography and performance aspect.

Have you visited Rutgers yet? or NYU?

Have you spoken with faculty? or met with them?

Arrange to have a visit and spend a few hours with each. It might help you to make your decision.

Have you done research on the various faculty?

One is in a small city, and the other is in the middle of the village in Manhattan, very different in that respect. Have either offered you any financial support? NYC is very expensive and New Brunswick, not nearly so. Even though I think you are right to think primarily about the people at the programs and the quality of the programs themselves, you cannot discount the pragmatic aspects of attending the schools, or your own feelings about living in different types of places.

Same here Marchy. If you decide to visit could you tell us how it was? Thanks :)

I may or may not be able to go but if I do I will definitely let you know. (The more research I do and the more people I speak to, I feel it's a YES for CMU.) 

I don't know anyone in the program who works full-time- and only one person who works once a week. Working more than that while in the grad program isn't ideal and frankly, probably near to impossible, IMO. There are also paid positions to oversee various shops throughout the school at a decent hourly rate if you are wanting some additional income. The costs of living is fairly low here with few paying more than $500 a month for rent and some lower than $400.

That makes sense. Thanks again!