2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

if anyone gets off the waitlist for Ontario schools, please let me know.. I'd rather be put out of my misery so I can move on and start planning my next year.

I'm looking for some advice.

I applied this time, but didn't get in. My GPA is only a 3.36 and I want to get that higher.

The problem is I have a class right in the middle of my last 20 classes I did pretty terribly in and it was a full year class. Without it, my GPA would be 3.7.

Is there anything I can do about this other than take 10 more classes??

I applied this time, but didn't get in. My GPA is only a 3.36 and I want to get that higher.

The problem is I have a class right in the middle of my last 20 classes I did pretty terribly in and it was a full year class. Without it, my GPA would be 3.7.

Is there any extenuating circumstances that led to it?  If so, you may try to seek an appeal to the dean to turn it into a W.

Hope you guys get off the waitlist soon...

I haven't heard of one person who got in with less than a 3.8 this cycle....has any one else? 

Hey Speechies -- I got into Western and U of T with a 3.74 sGPA. I was truly shocked and in full belief that I'd have to reapply but figured I'd give it a go. I really think my experience and references were what made the difference for me. It definitely goes to show that they're looking for well-rounded applicants and that grades are not always the focus. I hope that gives anyone applying next year some reassurance because I sure needed it this time last year!!  :)

Still have my fingers crossed for those of you on the waitlist! 

I have just been offered a position at Western!!! I have 24 hours to decide and it would be a confirmed acceptance..taking me off the wait list at u of t. It's a hard decision and I have to review finances

Edited by nins

hi everyone,

I got off the phone with Mabel because I needed to know where I stood with U of T and she told me that she can only tell me that its not my turn. She told me they have already started to accept off the waitlist. Looks like I am going to Western :)!!!

hi everyone,

I got off the phone with Mabel because I needed to know where I stood with U of T and she told me that she can only tell me that its not my turn. She told me they have already started to accept off the waitlist. Looks like I am going to Western :)!!!

Congrats nins!

I have just been offered a position at Western!!! I have 24 hours to decide and it would be a confirmed acceptance..taking me off the wait list at u of t. It's a hard decision and I have to review finances

Im so happy for you!! Congrats!

Would you be willing to retake the class? The only thing is that I think it will take a year to process it. So you'd have to retake the class, then apply for the following year afterward 

Would you be willing to retake the class? The only thing is that I think it will take a year to process it. So you'd have to retake the class, then apply for the following year afterward 

Yikes. So, it would take me a two semesters to re-take the class and then ANOTHER year to wait to apply? I'm not sure I'd want to wait two years to apply again.

Is there any extenuating circumstances that led to it?  If so, you may try to seek an appeal to the dean to turn it into a W.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could do that. I did have extenuating circumstances that was documented so I can prove it, but it also was 3 years ago so I'm not sure if I can still do that, but I am going to look into that!

Yikes. So, it would take me a two semesters to re-take the class and then ANOTHER year to wait to apply? I'm not sure I'd want to wait two years to apply again.

Hmmm... I wonder if I could do that. I did have extenuating circumstances that was documented so I can prove it, but it also was 3 years ago so I'm not sure if I can still do that, but I am going to look into that!

Was it from your first year? Apparently theyll be more understanding if it was.

Hi everyone,

Just thought I should let you all know that I got accepted off the waitlist from Dalhousie yesterday (albeit for Audiology). I hope this means that they are moving the waitlist for speech as well and contacting people!

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

hi everyone,

Yay this is such exciting news congratulations nins! :)

Just received my official rejection letter from U of Alberta and am officially accepting at Wayne State University.

Congratulations!!! I was accepted in Michigan too :)   I read the aphasia treatment is top-notch at Wayne.

Hey, I was just kind of curious - did anyone put headings for any of their statement of intents? How did you personalize it?

It's great your working ahead in your SOP. :)

At first, I experimented using headings but found they clutterred the page and used lines that I could use to expand on my life story, so I dropped them.

To personalize, talked about the research of some of the professors, specific courses that I found were unique for the program and how they all related and would help my future goals. This is the part that took up a lot of time to do. It also helped me narrow down schools. In my one of my SOPs, I was not feeling the research of the faculty at all, but still forced myself to finish it (since I already paid the application fee). I think the admissions felt the disconnect so I was rejected lol

Edited by ImHis