2015 Canadian SLP Thread!

Officially a M.Sc.A. at McGill. Spots have opened up at UofT and Western :)

Any other McGill-er's on here?

What made you pick McGill? I think Im pretty set on U of T but reading this made me question myself haha

What made you pick McGill? I think Im pretty set on U of T but reading this made me question myself haha

I'd like to write a thesis as part of my M.Sc.A and I've made a connection with one of McGill's professors to supervise me. Plus, I'm hoping to specialize in voice disorders and rehabilitation, and McGill's program provides the most extracurricular exposure and opportunity to this specialty. :)

Added bonus, I'm using the two years to become officially bilingual. 

All in all, I fully believe it's less the program you attend, and more the opportunities you make out of your program. Montreal seems like a great new adventure for me at this point in my life. I've participated in a lot of programming at UofT the past 2 years (I'm a student there), and the profs really are world class. So don't doubt your decision. There's great teachers, and amazing clinics associated with their program! :) 

I'd like to write a thesis as part of my M.Sc.A and I've made a connection with one of McGill's professors to supervise me. Plus, I'm hoping to specialize in voice disorders and rehabilitation, and McGill's program provides the most extracurricular exposure and opportunity to this specialty. :)

Added bonus, I'm using the two years to become officially bilingual. 

All in all, I fully believe it's less the program you attend, and more the opportunities you make out of your program. Montreal seems like a great new adventure for me at this point in my life. I've participated in a lot of programming at UofT the past 2 years (I'm a student there), and the profs really are world class. So don't doubt your decision. There's great teachers, and amazing clinics associated with their program! :)

Awesome thanks for the input. Now if I could find some reasonable rent Ill be the happiest student out there. 

Awesome thanks for the input. Now if I could find some reasonable rent Ill be the happiest student out there. 

There's a UofT housing Facebook group that's a pretty good place to start! Finding apartments in Toronto is always a last-minute kind of process. 

just have a quick question to everyone.

i couldn't make Western Audiology this year and do you guys know what is the minimum sGPA is ?? (i have 3.6 and feel like too low to apply)

Edited by audiwantobe

Hi nins, I am waiting for Dalhousie and U of A, both of which will likely be rejections at this point.

hope you hear some good news soon! this is your third time applying?

just have a quick question to everyone.

i couldn't make Western Audiology this year and do you guys know what is the minimum sGPA is ?? (i have 3.6 and feel like too low to apply)

Last year's range was 3.46-4.0 with 3.64 being the median. I got in with 3.65 this year.

Last year's range was 3.46-4.0 with 3.64 being the median. I got in with 3.65 this year.

For Audiology, do you (or anyone else) know how large of a component GPA is? 

Do they consider all aspects of an application (GPA, extracurriculars, references, ect.) equally, or do they first consider a GPA and then only go on to consider candidates with GPAs above that baseline?

For Audiology, do you (or anyone else) know how large of a component GPA is? 

Do they consider all aspects of an application (GPA, extracurriculars, references, ect.) equally, or do they first consider a GPA and then only go on to consider candidates with GPAs above that baseline?

From what I understand, you must meet the baseline GPA criteria. If you meet this "cut-off GPA" the admissions committee with then look at all other aspects of your application equally. I think they put more emphasis on your letter of intent and letters of recommendation, however, they do take into account all your volunteer positions. The more variety of experience you have in the audiology field the better (hearing aids, cochlear implants, children's rehabilitation, etc). 

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Congrats to all successful applicants!

I'm currently wait listed at mcgill.... Just wondering if anyone had heard of people getting off the waitlist? I'm not sure when (or if) I should expect any news.

Thanks!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

Congrats to all successful applicants!

I'm currently wait listed at mcgill.... Just wondering if anyone had heard of people getting off the waitlist? I'm not sure when (or if) I should expect any news.

Thanks!

I just declined my offer today so I hope you hear good news soon! We had until April 8th so I would think youd hear in the next few days. 

For those of you who didn't get in to McGill and are waiting to hear back from Ontario schools, don't give up hope!! I was rejected last year by McGill but I was accepted by Western, Dal, and UofA. I know of 3 other people who were also rejected by McGill and were accepted by both UofT and Western. My personal theory is that McGill is looking for a very specific type of applicant and that the Ontario schools are looking for more diverse applicants. If anyone is trying to decide between schools and wants to know more about the program at Western, feel free to private message me. Good luck for April 1st everyone!

I really wish I had known this before. It was very difficult getting that first rejection - I just didn't know what to think. Everyone has such great and diverse experience and so many people deserve to be accepted. I hope all of you waiting get off the waitlists and do no get discouraged if you get a rejection. Don't give up :) Edited by speechful11

Yah I got a rejection letter from them too. Which is ok! I've accepted that I'm not getting in this year, and I'm going to work on improving my application and trying again next year :)

On that note, anyone have any advice? Haha

Yah I got a rejection letter from them too. Which is ok! I've accepted that I'm not getting in this year, and I'm going to work on improving my application and trying again next year :)

On that note, anyone have any advice? Haha

Yup I'm feeling the same way too! Although admittedly I am still feeling pretty disappointed. Already starting to think of areas I can work on (I have a feeling that there was one thing in particular that ruled me out), but I think first things first I need to talk to the schools to see if they will provide any feedback on my application. 

I would also appreciate any advice! 

This was my second year applying so here is some general advice :

Small changes in your application can make a big difference!  I increased my subGPA from a 3.65 to a 3.75 and had completed all prereqs before submitting my application this year. You will be disadvantaged at U of A (and possibly other schools) if you have multiple prereqs in progress at the time of applying. I also got more hours shadowing an SLP and accumulated more volunteer hours. I participated in a volunteer trip to Central America this December to work at a project for children with special needs. I also got a new reference letter and I think it was significantly better than any of my letters from last year's application. Another thing I did was spend A LOT more time on my letter of intent/personal statement for each school. It might help to have one of your references look over it :)

Schools also value research experience so I would suggest working/volunteering in a psychology or neuroscience lab if you do not have a lot of experience in this setting.

I was really discouraged when I didn't get in anywhere last year but if anything it just gave me more motivation to improve my application and get in this year! So don't give up!!! You will get in :)

Edited by SLP333