2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Sorry to hear about OSU dirtychai! Did you apply to work with their VIPER program?

Yes, that's them! I feel like they got back to me really fast (about two weeks after the deadline! :o  :o  :o ), which has me a bit worried about my other app. Well... when a door is closed another one opens, or something like that, right??   :(  :unsure:   :P

Edited by dirtychai

I think like all the other years results show, there's a first wave of acceptances for the best candidates, and then the real reviewing and comparison between them start, so it takes more time.

I think like all the other years results show, there's a first wave of acceptances for the best candidates, and then the real reviewing and comparison between them start, so it takes more time.

Maybe, but I'm not convinced first acceptances have been sent out for most schools.  There would be way more results traffic.

Maybe, but I'm not convinced first acceptances have been sent out for most schools.  There would be way more results traffic.

I think that's because deadlines vary between schools, there still are schools that are receiving applications.

And that deadline was what? December 1st? So maybe the rest of us academic mortals can expect to not hear anything for the next couple of weeks..from UT-Austin that is..

probably :(

My POI at Colorado sent me an email saying I was a strong applicant, but she is unlikely to take an Msc student this year due to funding. Although she added that nothing was final until they sent out all the letters. 

Yeah, good times.

Seriously! I applied exclusively to schools that I would love to attend... But I would like to have an option

Precisely how I feel.  I would feel lucky and super excited to attend any of the schools I applied to.  Options are good too though  :D .

My POI at Colorado sent me an email saying I was a strong applicant, but she is unlikely to take an Msc student this year due to funding. Although she added that nothing was final until they sent out all the letters. 

Yeah, good times.

Thats like me with VT/U Mass

Edited by columbia09

My adviser (at UT) says he believes that they've only sent out acceptances to those receiving fellowships so far.

This might not be true because I spoke to a couple of students who applied to UT from my school and they didn't hear anything yet. 

Maybe they didn't receive a fellowship?

They're pretty competitive students with high GPAs/GRE scores and they're also very involved so I don't know really. If we don't get fellowships does that mean we'll have to pay if admitted ?

If I understand correctly, UT does not admit any students without funding. That being said, I believe they do offer other funding packages in the form of TAships, RA's, etc. I believe fellowships are funds from the graduate school rather than the department.. I could be wrong though as this whole 'grad thing' is new to me

This might not be true because I spoke to a couple of students who applied to UT from my school and they didn't hear anything yet. 

I had friends who never heard back till May when they got their rejection letters. Most schools send out first pick offer letters, and they will provide a deadline to accept the offer. If the offer is turned down, the school will send the offer letter to their second pick... and so on.

And yes, this I believe is true too - UT doesn't admit without funding.

Fellowships can be from a number of places, and tend not to be bounded by restrictions : Generally all TAs and RAs make the same amount in a given department (more or less) where as fellowship money you can make over 100k a year (if you can find that kinda thing). 

Sometimes people get a fellowship (say 10k a year) + an RA/TA so they can make even more money. Departments use them as recruiting tools. Since there are a very small number of exceptional applicants compared to good or average ones.

Edited by GeoDUDE!