2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Nothing from Caltech. So, yeah. Let me know if you call or hear anything... There don't seem to be any results for Caltech GPS on the results search so they may be running a little later than usual with decisions.

One person posted earlier in this thread that they got accepted by Caltech but it's not in the results search, and they didn't specify that they applied to GPS, so unless they come back and clarify I wouldn't count that as anyone having heard from GPS.

I've just decided to wait patiently for my overpriced rejection letters  :(

I am that person. To clarify, it was GPS and I was notified via email/phone. I am under the impression that Caltech GPS has finished recommending students for admission (there is a visiting weekend in a couple of weeks) and will send out official notifications at some point in the next few weeks (disclaimer: I do not know this for sure). Not sure what that means if you have yet to hear from them. If it helps, Caltech is the only planetary science program that I have heard back from so far - I am also under the impression that things are a tad later than usual at some places. Good luck!

Do you hear back from schools about acceptance before going out for visiting weekends? I've talked to some people who said they were invited out to UT when they applied last year, and then heard they were accepted before even going out to visit.  Anyone know if this is common or this happens at lots of schools?

To darkstar and teddybrosevelt (haha I love that name btw): My UT status says the same thing. Checking it 3 times a day seems to have no effect. Hopefully we will all hear good news soon!

FWIW, I thought I would share my first acceptance of the season. Got an email from my POI at UNM at the end of last week with an offer of admission to the MS program! He told me the official letter would be coming later, but wanted to let me know the good news...which was really nice of him! They are guaranteeing 2 years of support via TA position. Though I was originally hoping to go directly into a PhD program, I am insanely excited nonetheless! 

Good luck to everyone and I hope the next few weeks are filled with positive news  B)

Congrats!!! Also, the "I am Lorde, ya ya ya" episode of South Park is one of the best. Ever. Randy Marsh is a total hoot, as always.

I am that person. To clarify, it was GPS and I was notified via email/phone. I am under the impression that Caltech GPS has finished recommending students for admission (there is a visiting weekend in a couple of weeks) and will send out official notifications at some point in the next few weeks (disclaimer: I do not know this for sure). Not sure what that means if you have yet to hear from them. If it helps, Caltech is the only planetary science program that I have heard back from so far - I am also under the impression that things are a tad later than usual at some places. Good luck!

Congrats on Caltech!!!

Thanks for getting back and clarifying! and congrats!!! Is Caltech your top choice?

Well, I'll just operate under the assumption that I won't be going to Caltech. That way, if I get a surprise, it won't be of the disappointing variety  ;) Not sure whether it would be appropriate to email/call and ask- what do y'all think?

Edited by sophie anne

Have a friend who just got accepted to UT (unofficially via professor).  Makes me a little nervous

Oh boy. Congrats to your friend though do you happen to know his or her stats ? Also were they a Ph.D or M.S candidate ? Also does anyone know if UT evaluates candidates in any type of order ? Like do they send acceptances to their first choices then they go down the ladder from there ? 

Oh boy. Congrats to your friend though do you happen to know his or her stats ? Also were they a Ph.D or M.S candidate ? Also does anyone know if UT evaluates candidates in any type of order ? Like do they send acceptances to their first choices then they go down the ladder from there ? 

M.S, great pedigree I'm not surprised he got in.  I'm sure that's exactly what they do.  Just because he heard from his professor doesn't mean all professors are going to let their students know that early though (or so I hope, I'm still waiting on an answer)

Is UT big with GRE scores? I know they don't have a minimum but are they one of those schools that weigh it more then the GPA ? The GRE is definitely my Achilles heal in my application :unsure:   

Edited by columbia09

Is UT big with GRE scores? I know they don't have a minimum but are they one of those schools that weigh it more then the GPA ? The GRE is definitely my Achilles heal in my application :unsure:   

One positive, if you feel that your GRE is really that terrible (forgot what it is) you have a really easy improvement for next year. A lot of people don't have it so easy (undergrad gpa is set in stone once you graduate), getting research experience after UG is also difficult. So there is the bright side! 

My status page for UT-Austin has updated. It now says "Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review." Did this happen to anyone else? And what does it mean, if anything? Thanks.

Wait, what did it say before? mine says that almost since I applied, I thought it was a default message.

One positive, if you feel that your GRE is really that terrible (forgot what it is) you have a really easy improvement for next year. A lot of people don't have it so easy (undergrad gpa is set in stone once you graduate), getting research experience after UG is also difficult. So there is the bright side! 

I don't even want to think about applying next year it cost me so much money and time to go through all of this. I hope that the GRE isn't enough to reject me alone. Also its on the first page I think I got a 4 on writing which put me in the 56th percentile (my best section).  

Edited by columbia09

When I talked woth some people there they told me that even when they don't have a minimum, 320 between Q and V or more is preferable.

As far as I understand GRE and GPA both play a role, but they really are keen on strong UG research and letters of rec.  As long as your GRE and GPA are in a decent range I think you're good.

Wait, what did it say before? mine says that almost since I applied, I thought it was a default message.

No, that part appeared today. Before, it only said that I'd be notified when a decision was made (which it still says). Much ado about nothing. I can't help it. I'm feeding off of scraps and looking to hang onto any new information I can.

I don't even want to think about applying next year it cost me so much money and time to go through all of this. I hope that the GRE isn't enough to reject me alone. Also its on the first page I think I got a 4 on writing which put me in the 56th percentile (my best section).  

The Jackson School actually posts their admission stats, which is really nice. If I remember correctly, the average of admitted students from a couple of years back was something like 160 Q, 158 V. I'd post a link, but I'm too lazy.

As far as I understand GRE and GPA both play a role, but they really are keen on strong UG research and letters of rec.  As long as your GRE and GPA are in a decent range I think you're good.

I have a 3.8 GPA so no worries there but my GRE is atrocious (290). Never was a standardized test taker i did horrible on my SAT and ACT but I don't believe that they reflect my abilities   

No, that part appeared today. Before, it only said that I'd be notified when a decision was made (which it still says). Much ado about nothing. I can't help it. I'm feeding off of scraps and looking to hang onto any new information I can.

I swear that's been on mine for at least a month...

I'm not sure why so much attention is given to GRE scores as they have been proven to be unreliable in predicting graduate student success.

For instance, one of my PoIs at a Canadian University called me an "outstanding student and applicant" without even seeing my GRE scores. Do my 70% GRE scores immediately make me a mediocre student in the U.S.? I would hope not.

I followed up with my POI at Montana yesterday. She told me the committee met Friday and I can expect my formal acceptance letter within the week. I am pretty much guaranteed a TA position, but I have to wait until it gets approved before I will know the exact details.

I am so excited! Just knowing that no matter what else happens I have a great advisor and project as an option is such a relief. 

I followed up with my POI at Montana yesterday. She told me the committee met Friday and I can expect my formal acceptance letter within the week. I am pretty much guaranteed a TA position, but I have to wait until it gets approved before I will know the exact details.

I am so excited! Just knowing that no matter what else happens I have a great advisor and project as an option is such a relief.

Congratulations! That's fantastic news!

I'm not sure why so much attention is given to GRE scores as they have been proven to be unreliable in predicting graduate student success.

For instance, one of my PoIs at a Canadian University called me an "outstanding student and applicant" without even seeing my GRE scores. Do my 70% GRE scores immediately make me a mediocre student in the U.S.? I would hope not.

70% ? Try the lower 20th percentile. I agree 100% as I said multiple times, did horrible on the SAT/ACT and currently have a 3.8 GPA with two majors. I'm losing my patients now that people are hearing back and I still didn't from any of my 8 schools. 

70% ? Try the lower 20th percentile. I agree 100% as I said multiple times, did horrible on the SAT/ACT and currently have a 3.8 GPA with two majors. I'm losing my patients now that people are hearing back and I still didn't from any of my 8 schools.

I have only heard back from one school thus far (major Canadian U). I still think it's too early to start worrying. I could be naive and starry eyed, but I believe schools are only starting to notify candidates.