2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

I've already accepted my coming rejection to UT, and I'm already pretty much over it.

The two schools that I have the best shot at don't typically send out news until the last week of February/First week of March, even for acceptances. So I just keep wandering aimlessly to the fridge, and refreshing my email a thousand times a day, and watching our tarantulas attack crickets. 

I'm not too terribly concerned because I would love to go to any of the schools I applied to. Getting accepted to UT would just be icing on the cake. I'm applying to work in a fairly minor research field within the department, so my chances to begin with are likely slim.

Me too but it would be so nice to get in ! My friend went there over the weekend for a hackathon he loves the campus ! And this is getting really bad to point that I'm checking my email every 5 seconds lol 

Edited by columbia09

Maybe UT will send out acceptances this week? Three of us applied from my school and didn't hear anything so I highly doubt all three of us got rejected.

The visit weekend for top candidates (who have not yet been accepted) and already accepted students isn't until the last week of February so I wouldn't expect to hear much until after that's over and students start accepting/turning down their offers.

Also, just for some perspective: in 2012 the geo program at UT had 487 applicants and only 92 were accepted. That's an acceptance rate of <19% so statistically speaking it's entirely possible that none of the three people from your school get accepted. Grad acceptances come down to research fit and available funding and a million other factors. Well qualified candidates get wait listed or rejected all the time even if they look great on paper.

The seemingly random and unfair nature of it all can make the whole process extremely stressful, but it is what it is. At this point in time it's just a waiting game, and worrying about it won't change the outcome. Sit back, relax, and try to stay busy with other things!

The visit weekend for top candidates (who have not yet been accepted) and already accepted students isn't until the last week of February so I wouldn't expect to hear much until after that's over and students start accepting/turning down their offers.

Also, just for some perspective: in 2012 the geo program at UT had 487 applicants and only 92 were accepted. That's an acceptance rate of <19% so statistically speaking it's entirely possible that none of the three people from your school get accepted. Grad acceptances come down to research fit and available funding and a million other factors. Well qualified candidates get wait listed or rejected all the time even if they look great on paper.

The seemingly random and unfair nature of it all can make the whole process extremely stressful, but it is what it is. At this point in time it's just a waiting game, and worrying about it won't change the outcome. Sit back, relax, and try to stay busy with other things!

I mean to our credit we're pretty strong candidates and we come from one of the best geology programs in country so if none of us gets an acceptance I'd be shock. But who knows you might be right and it pains me to see that my chances at this school are dwindling.    

I mean to our credit we're pretty strong candidates and we come from one of the best geology programs in country so if none of us gets an acceptance I'd be shock. But who knows you might be right and it pains me to see that my chances at this school are dwindling.

Again, none of us are on the admissions committee and for all we know they may have only offered the top 20% of applicants so far. Maybe not even that. For us to apply conveys the fact that we are confident in our application materials, but as previously stated may not be the best fit. According to previous years results people are accepted to UT on in to march...

Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing, GeoMex. Like previously stated, I'm sure the most impressive candidates have been notified already as those are the students they most want to attend UT. I'm afraid we are just going to have to wait and see.

That's true, no way of knowing. The only fact is that I was told by them that ALL decisions should be made by march. So, there's that.

I've already accepted my coming rejection to UT, and I'm already pretty much over it.

The two schools that I have the best shot at don't typically send out news until the last week of February/First week of March, even for acceptances. So I just keep wandering aimlessly to the fridge, and refreshing my email a thousand times a day, and watching our tarantulas attack crickets. 

LMAO at the last part.

Why are you so sure you're going to be rejected? I mean, I get the feeling I might, but I'm still somehow hopeful, for the two programs left that I applied. 

Me too but it would be so nice to get in ! My friend went there over the weekend for a hackathon he loves the campus ! And this is getting really bad to point that I'm checking my email every 5 seconds lol 

I went there in 2013 and what I got to see is really great, the campus, the JSG, the social vibe, I don't know, maybe it was because there was a lot of people going around and I was excited to go.

And yes, literally, every 10 seconds sometimes.

That's true, no way of knowing. The only fact is that I was told by them that ALL decisions should be made by march. So, there's that.

LMAO at the last part.

Why are you so sure you're going to be rejected? I mean, I get the feeling I might, but I'm still somehow hopeful, for the two programs left that I applied. 

I went there in 2013 and what I got to see is really great, the campus, the JSG, the social vibe, I don't know, maybe it was because there was a lot of people going around and I was excited to go.

And yes, literally, every 10 seconds sometimes.

Is it by March or April ? 

I recall a friend telling me that UT sends out blanket rejections. They first send out offer letters and progress down the line until there are no more slots left. I believe a friend mentioned that he received a generic rejection letter saying they had received a couple hundred applicants that year and so they have had a hard time selecting applicants.

Maybe someone who received a rejection letter in previous years can give some insight?

LMAO at the last part.

I just don't have a good gpa, which really kills my application to such competitive schools. I'm just not much of one to put hope where I don't feel there is any. I applied, and while there's always a chance that we could all get in, more likely than not, my competitive applications are Oklahoma State and Houston, mostly because the POI's are sympathetic to my situation. 

I just don't have a good gpa, which really kills my application to such competitive schools. I'm just not much of one to put hope where I don't feel there is any. I applied, and while there's always a chance that we could all get in, more likely than not, my competitive applications are Oklahoma State and Houston, mostly because the POI's are sympathetic to my situation. 

I feel your pain but with the GRE in my case. I'm expecting my POIs are going to ask why I did so crappy. In regards to UT, I'm sure some of us will hear this week from them and I'm pretty sure at least one of us here will get in so don't lose hope !

Edited by columbia09

Doesn't UH just accepts like 5% of the applicants? like it's way harder to get there than in the UT?

I feel your pain but with the GRE in my case. I'm expecting my POIs are going to ask why I did so crappy. In regards to UT, I'm sure some of us will hear this week from them and I'm pretty sure at least one of us here will get in so don't lose hope !

I'm guessing this next week there will be more acceptances but I'm not sure if one of us, those who have been accepted seem to not post here often.

I'm just hoping I hear from one of the five American schools to which I applied... Just ONE!!! Please...

I feel you, when I got the rejection from CSM even tho it was bad news it kind of made me feel better to just know instead of waiting for the same result for two more months

Doesn't UH just accepts like 5% of the applicants? like it's way harder to get there than in the UT?

Yeah, but my conversations with the POI there were much more involved/better than at UT. The person at UH is more sympathetic to my application, and... although it really doesn't matter or anything, he checked out my Linkedin page twice this week, and I hope that means he is still interested, although I know that that doesn't mean I would be admitted. 

Also, from what I understand... a lot of people approach UH as a "I don't have to pay for this application, so what the heck, I might as well apply." 

Yeah, but my conversations with the POI there were much more involved/better than at UT. The person at UH is more sympathetic to my application, and... although it really doesn't matter or anything, he checked out my Linkedin page twice this week, and I hope that means he is still interested, although I know that that doesn't mean I would be admitted. 

Also, from what I understand... a lot of people approach UH as a "I don't have to pay for this application, so what the heck, I might as well apply." 

wait, what? locals don't pay? damn it.