2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

prob 8-9 credit hours a semester (~3 courses a semester or 1-2 courses and research hours).  Definitely not 8 courses a semester.

Oh! that's definitely good, less load of work :P  thanks!

Thanks! I wonder how this period would have been passing if I was not in a full time job.  :wacko:

Probably more stressful. I hated when I had little work to do or none at all some days.

So I used it to search for articles and read some stuff

Sorry, I'm going to go a bit off topic here.

Geodude, do you know Sarah Roeske at Davis? Does she still work for the department or do research there? I met a couple of her students (former, maybe) at GSA. I was interested in working with her, but I never got a response to my inquiry. I'm curious because the UC-Davis website doesn't list her under the regular faculty.

Sorry, I'm going to go a bit off topic here.

Geodude, do you know Sarah Roeske at Davis? Does she still work for the department or do research there? I met a couple of her students (former, maybe) at GSA. I was interested in working with her, but I never got a response to my inquiry. I'm curious because the UC-Davis website doesn't list her under the regular faculty.

Yeah, Sarah is great darkstar. She's a researcher here, and runs a couple of the labs so she gets salary + soft money just like any faculty. She does take on grad students, but she is not faculty.  My impression of her is she is a great advisor, at least from what I've heard from her students. 

Yeah, Sarah is great darkstar. She's a researcher here, and runs a couple of the labs so she gets salary + soft money just like any faculty. She does take on grad students, but she is not faculty.  My impression of her is she is a great advisor, at least from what I've heard from her students. 

I was disappointed when I did not hear back from her. I had 3 UC schools on my potential list -- Davis, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara. I did not hear back from Davis or Santa Cruz. Santa Barbara was not the best research fit.

I think my wife was disappointed we won't end up on/near the coast.

Anyone know the difference between those who have received their acceptance from UT so far and those of us who have been invited to PSW, but not been accepted?  Is this weekend more of an interview for us as we haven't been accepted, or could we just be not getting an email yet because they are still clearing people for acceptance?

Anyone know the difference between those who have received their acceptance from UT so far and those of us who have been invited to PSW, but not been accepted?  Is this weekend more of an interview for us as we haven't been accepted, or could we just be not getting an email yet because they are still clearing people for acceptance?

I know the difference between those of you who have been invited and those of us that haven't... :P

A totally-uninformed guess: it means good things about your application, but perhaps that they haven't been able to finalize funding for you yet, or a few POIs want to get a chance to meet you, or that the cogs of the grad school adcom as opposed to the department's adcom are moving a little more slowly and they don't want to tell you anything until it's all final and formal. I wouldn't worry about it; you'll be able to gauge what it all means at the weekend by the language and tone they use.

I was informed that my POI at UT-Austin is no longer accepting students as he plans to retire within the next year or two. This isn't a total shock and he was nice enough to recommend me to another faculty member. We'll see how that works out..

He also said that the department received more applications than normal and that many applicants, as suspected by many of you, were previously employed in O&G. Making the applicant pool pretty stout I would imagine.

That being said, those that are already accepted congratulations! And to those that have been invited to visit, I've gotta think that's a great sign as well!

Quick question - what's the best way to turn down an offer graciously? Should I email both the sponsoring faculty member and the admissions office? Not my favorite part of this process...

Quick question - what's the best way to turn down an offer graciously? Should I email both the sponsoring faculty member and the admissions office? Not my favorite part of this process...

LMFAO..... I want this problem sooooo badly.

I would email both. Say thank you for the offer, and that while it was a great opportunity, you are unable to accept. Keep it short.

I didn't even have to send an email to one professor that I talked to, who sent me an email saying he was sad that I didn't apply to work with him (his research was too far removed)

Email the graduate coordinator/adviser (whoever is listed on the acceptance letter) and simply say: Thank you very much for your offer of admission.  I have decided to attend another school *you can insert a reason like better matches my needs here*.  Don't worry.  They're used to rejection.  ;)

And if you've had some pretty decent communication with your POI, you could send him a quick email as well.  Although, I would add that I looked forward to working with him/her in the future. 

I found out the stats for my school:  about 50% of people offered admission decline.

I was also told that 80%-90% of people who apply for faculty positions are unqualified for the job and thus their applications go straight in the 'no' pile.  :blink:

Edited by geographyrocks

Geographyrocks has it right. Almost no place gets 100% yield (happens sometimes, but rarely). Even MIT has about 30%(if I remember from last year) of its applicants decline. 

There are so many factors when considering graduate school.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Geographyrocks has it right. Almost no place gets 100% yield (happens sometimes, but rarely). Even MIT has about 30%(if I remember from last year) of its applicants decline. 

There are so many factors when considering graduate school.

Are those spots then offered to other candidates? Or do they remain unfilled until the next application season?

Are those spots then offered to other candidates? Or do they remain unfilled until the next application season?

My department sends offers to the maximum amount of spots (say 15 for example). Those make up the first and second tier candidates that year.  If those spots are not filled, there is a small pool of 3rd tier candidates that get offers after they have been declined, but they mostly go unfilled because those candidates have already accepted another offer (this mostly happens after april 15th or so).  We have a very high yield rate the past 2 years (~90%) and I'd expect that to be the case for most graduate schools (yield rates going up) so there are less and less spots being offered. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

One of the programs that I applied to contacted me and said that they are sending out some acceptances and that I'm certainly, "of interest", they are just trying to figure out funding. If I dkbt hear from them in the next week or two I'm supposed to call back.

Is this being wait listed? Or is this common?

There is usually a waitlist and some students get admitted from there, but yes, if nobody who is offered a spot takes it, then it would remain unfilled

To clarify, just because a slot is unfilled, does not mean there will be an "extra" slot the following application season. Funding associated with that position may get reallocated when it is clear there won''t be a grad student using it.

My program over-admits assuming many people will choose to go elsewhere--when they decline, further invites are not necessarily offered if the target number of students accepts. This depends on the funding source though, if an individual prof has money (as opposed to a university fellowship) they can sometimes try again until they get someone to work for them.

Edited by Usmivka

One of the programs that I applied to contacted me and said that they are sending out some acceptances and that I'm certainly, "of interest", they are just trying to figure out funding. If I dkbt hear from them in the next week or two I'm supposed to call back.

Is this being wait listed? Or is this common?

If you want to call it that. A waitlist implies that if someone else drops, there is a line to fill that spot. It doesn't sound that organized. Their ambitions are greater than their funding, sounds like.

Just got an acceptance from UW! Well, this has certainly been the opposite of last application season for me...

For anyone reading this several months down the road who may have not been accepted anywhere this application cycle: let my experience stand as proof that getting shut out one season does not mean that you will necessarily experience the same thing next season. As long as you spend your in-between time productively, strengthening your application material and developing relationships with POIs, there will be hope for your grad school career. Don't give up!

Just got an acceptance from UW! Well, this has certainly been the opposite of last application season for me...

For anyone reading this several months down the road who may have not been accepted anywhere this application cycle: let my experience stand as proof that getting shut out one season does not mean that you will necessarily experience the same thing next season. As long as you spend your in-between time productively, strengthening your application material and developing relationships with POIs, there will be hope for your grad school career. Don't give up!

CONGRATS! That's great news!

This is so comforting to hear, since things aren't looking good for me this time around. Congratulations! It's wonderful that your persistence paid off; you clearly deserve this!  :D

so happy to hear this! I'm very jealous--Seattle is amazing and I was so bummed that nobody with my specialty was at UW