2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

According to what my POIs told me last time, I should hear back in the next two weeks or so. I'm dealing with the wait a lot better than I thought I would, but limbo still sucks. I started looking at jobs since as I learned last time, I can't put my life on hold waiting for grad schools in case it doesn't work out. The economy isn't as great as the news makes it out to be, so I hope everyone ends up with something for next year.

Undergrad Institution: Small, private 
Major(s): Geology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.70
Overall GPA: 3.72
Position in Class: Near top
Type of Student: Male, domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 154
V: 157
W: 4.0

Research Experience: 1 summer of field work, poster at GSA in Vancouver, oral presentation at Northeast GSA

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Distinguished Research Fellow, Honors Program, Eagle Scout, 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor

Special Bonus Points: Recommender has connections at CU Boulder

Applying to Where:

CU Boulder, UNLV (Accepted), UMass Amherst 

Edited by C_def

I received the invitation but I scheduled another date with my POI other than PSW. Is everyone getting invited finally accepted? I am worrying now since my visit will be the next Monday. My UT status doesn't change, still "in review".

I basically just got a rejection notice from my POI at Stanford who said that he doesn't think he'll be able to give me a spot. He said that he and the other faculty members were impressed with my application...........so why not give me a spot ? 5 schools now are very close to rejecting me this isn't going well at all :/

Edited by columbia09

I basically just got a rejection notice from my POI at Stanford who said that he doesn't think he'll be able to give me a spot. He said that he and the other faculty members were impressed with my application...........so why not give me a spot ? 5 schools now are very close to rejecting me this isn't going well at all :/

I'm sorry to hear that!  At least you are getting some feedback from your applications, though maybe not the feedback you would hope for.  I still have not heard one peep from any of the five schools I applied to!  Still hoping no news is good news.

I'm sorry to hear that!  At least you are getting some feedback from your applications, though maybe not the feedback you would hope for.  I still have not heard one peep from any of the five schools I applied to!  Still hoping no news is good news.

Maybe you should shoot your POIs emails ? That's what I did

I am yet to hear a single peep as well. I don't really want to email anyone though.

I am yet to hear a single peep as well. I don't really want to email anyone though.

I heard from UNLV on Wednesday. I'd imagine more will start to roll out this week (hopefully).

Have any of them responded? If so, what have they been saying?

Yes and basically the situation with me at Texas A&M is complicated but my POI at Stanford basically said he doesn't think he'll be able to give me a spot. Well that's 5 schools out of 8 where I have little to not a single chance of acceptance.

What would be an appropriate way to email a POI regarding a timetable for a response regarding admission? I would like it to be brief and formal but somewhat casual (if that is possible?!)

"Dear Dr. X,

I hope that your semester is going well. I just wanted to see if there was a status update regarding admission for the fall of 2015, or when admissions are expected to be sent out. I am eagerly awaiting results and am looking forward to the prospect of progessing my studies under your tutelage @ X university. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

xxxxx"

Thoughts?

What would be an appropriate way to email a POI regarding a timetable for a response regarding admission? I would like it to be brief and formal but somewhat casual (if that is possible?!)

"Dear Dr. X,

I hope that your semester is going well. I just wanted to see if there was a status update regarding admission for the fall of 2015, or when admissions are expected to be sent out. I am eagerly awaiting results and am looking forward to the prospect of progessing my studies under your tutelage @ X university. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

xxxxx"

Thoughts?

I think that sounds nice.... but I have heard from so many people that it's not a good idea to email POI's unless you are already familiar with them. I am just very unsure of what to do.

I think that sounds nice.... but I have heard from so many people that it's not a good idea to email POI's unless you are already familiar with them. I am just very unsure of what to do.

I disagree I found out a lot my emailing my POIs but I've talked to them already in the past. We're almost in March so I don't think that it will do any harm

My two cents here. If you havent heard yet it is probably more likely than not you were waitlisted or rejected/(app wasnt really looked at). However there are a significant amount of schools who have not met yet. Also being waitlisted is not the end of the world. If you are waitlisted at enough schools I would imagine there is a decent chance one might work out. My school (which some of you have applied to) has not met yet so there is that.

If you are accepted someone will contact you. I am sure one email to let your POI know that you are still very interested (in case you are waitlisted and a spot frees up he or she has you on their mind) couldn't hurt but largely this is out of your hands at this point.

It seems to me that there are a huge amount of applicants all applying to the same schools which isn't a recipe for a high acceptance rate. Even if you have a great GPA, GRE, and LOR it isnt a given you will get into any of these elite schools. You could be rejected for a number of reasons which may be largely out of your hands. Some will get in with two out of three being great and one being decent (GPA, GRE, LOR) but this is exceedingly rare and probably means you were a great fit (and also quite lucky). If one of the three is extreemly weak there is no realistic chance of getting into a top school (there are just too many other great applicants). There are plenty of 2nd and 3rd tiered schools some with solid funding who might forgive a less than stellar GRE, or relatively low GPA.

Just something to think about. I hope everyone gets what they want but realistically even people who deserve what they want have a reasonable chance of getting shot down.

My two cents here. If you havent heard yet it is probably more likely than not you were waitlisted or rejected/(app wasnt really looked at). However there are a significant amount of schools who have not met yet. Also being waitlisted is not the end of the world. If you are waitlisted at enough schools I would imagine there is a decent chance one might work out. My school (which some of you have applied to) has not met yet so there is that.

If you are accepted someone will contact you. I am sure one email to let your POI know that you are still very interested (in case you are waitlisted and a spot frees up he or she has you on their mind) couldn't hurt but largely this is out of your hands at this point.

It seems to me that there are a huge amount of applicants all applying to the same schools which isn't a recipe for a high acceptance rate. Even if you have a great GPA, GRE, and LOR it isnt a given you will get into any of these elite schools. You could be rejected for a number of reasons which may be largely out of your hands. Some will get in with two out of three being great and one being decent (GPA, GRE, LOR) but this is exceedingly rare and probably means you were a great fit (and also quite lucky). If one of the three is extreemly weak there is no realistic chance of getting into a top school (there are just too many other great applicants). There are plenty of 2nd and 3rd tiered schools some with solid funding who might forgive a less than stellar GRE, or relatively low GPA.

Just something to think about. I hope everyone gets what they want but realistically even people who deserve what they want have a reasonable chance of getting shot down.

I think my GRE is what killed my chances of getting into Stanford even though my POI didn't even mention it and said he was very impressed with my application. It sucks to because Graf school admissions claims to be less number heavy then undergrad but in reality I think it really comes down to fit and funding really. Two of my so called "safety schools" don't have funding so the only school I think at this point that I have a shot at is Nebraska. Highly doubt rice will take me, GRE score, and highly doubt Wisconsin will too. I do not want to reapply this whole process cost me close to a thousand dollars and a lot of time. So you can see why I would be extremely agitated not getting in anywhere because of a stupid test score. I have very little hope at this point and with graduation in two months with no grad school or job offers I don't know what I'll do.

I think my GRE is what killed my chances of getting into Stanford even though my POI didn't even mention it and said he was very impressed with my application. It sucks to because Graf school admissions claims to be less number heavy then undergrad but in reality I think it really comes down to fit and funding really. Two of my so called "safety schools" don't have funding so the only school I think at this point that I have a shot at is Nebraska. Highly doubt rice will take me, GRE score, and highly doubt Wisconsin will too. I do not want to reapply this whole process cost me close to a thousand dollars and a lot of time. So you can see why I would be extremely agitated not getting in anywhere because of a stupid test score. I have very little hope at this point and with graduation in two months with no grad school or job offers I don't know what I'll do.

You could consider GeoCorps or a range of other jobs. I worked in a field incredibly unrelated to geo after graduation and it only benefited my application. O&G are unlikely to be hiring right now. So if you are blocked from grad school this season, don't worry if you find yourself working in an unrelated field and gearing up for next year.

For the GRE: if you consistently score poorly on standardized exams, it might be worth investigating an underlying cause. If there is an  learning disability, you might qualify for some accommodations that would help you perform to the best of your ability.