2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

columbia09

So I think the issue with GREs are two fold. At a school with a large applicant pool they can be used to easily widdle down the applicant pool. So if the target GRE is say 320 and up they might put a cutoff at 315(but the ones 315-319 would have to make up for this difference in other respects) those under the cutoff might not even get seen at a large applicant school (unless their POI has tons of funding but even then there are limits to what can be done).GPA is less useful for culling the herd because a 3.1 at say Harvard might be acceptable but a 3.2 from East Bum*$% may not (you get the point).

Also what I ve heard from faculty at a school on your list (whose adcom has not met yet) is that GRE doesnt really matter that much to them(smallish-midsize department) as long as you meet sort of a minimum threshold. Basically meeting a certain threshold indicates aptitude to do certain graduate work, but after that they care only about LOR, GPA, Research etc. Obviously some people excel despite a poor GRE, maybe for whatever reason they were nervous, dont test well etc but now with a very low GRE the onus is on the applicant to show beyond a doubt they can achieve despite what the numbers say. This convincing is easier to do at a school with few applicants but still a reasonable amount of funding. These schools do exist but you have to check your pride and apply to them because not everyone is going to get into Stanford or UC or UT.

I would say you probably have a shot at Nebraska and Umass both of which are good schools but also realize the funding is likely not great at both schools (Nebraska maybe a bit better). Even there your GREs may disqualify you.

Is it unreasonable to try applying to some unranked grad schools M.S. programs that might have funding and a more lax view on GREs? Some of them have pretty late application dates. If you can do very well at one of these schools you might enhance your marketability to a Umass or UNebraska when you apply to a PhD program. If you want a shot at UT or Stanford you will have to get your GREs up a lot. Is that fair? Probably not but its the truth.

You could consider GeoCorps or a range of other jobs. I worked in a field incredibly unrelated to geo after graduation and it only benefited my application. O&G are unlikely to be hiring right now. So if you are blocked from grad school this season, don't worry if you find yourself working in an unrelated field and gearing up for next year.

For the GRE: if you consistently score poorly on standardized exams, it might be worth investigating an underlying cause. If there is an  learning disability, you might qualify for some accommodations that would help you perform to the best of your ability.

Great advice!

columbia09

So I think the issue with GREs are two fold. At a school with a large applicant pool they can be used to easily widdle down the applicant pool. So if the target GRE is say 320 and up they might put a cutoff at 315(but the ones 315-319 would have to make up for this difference in other respects) those under the cutoff might not even get seen at a large applicant school (unless their POI has tons of funding but even then there are limits to what can be done).GPA is less useful for culling the herd because a 3.1 at say Harvard might be acceptable but a 3.2 from East Bum*$% may not (you get the point).

Also what I ve heard from faculty at a school on your list (whose adcom has not met yet) is that GRE doesnt really matter that much to them(smallish-midsize department) as long as you meet sort of a minimum threshold. Basically meeting a certain threshold indicates aptitude to do certain graduate work, but after that they care only about LOR, GPA, Research etc. Obviously some people excel despite a poor GRE, maybe for whatever reason they were nervous, dont test well etc but now with a very low GRE the onus is on the applicant to show beyond a doubt they can achieve despite what the numbers say. This convincing is easier to do at a school with few applicants but still a reasonable amount of funding. These schools do exist but you have to check your pride and apply to them because not everyone is going to get into Stanford or UC or UT.

I would say you probably have a shot at Nebraska and Umass both of which are good schools but also realize the funding is likely not great at both schools (Nebraska maybe a bit better). Even there your GREs may disqualify you.

Is it unreasonable to try applying to some unranked grad schools M.S. programs that might have funding and a more lax view on GREs? Some of them have pretty late application dates. If you can do very well at one of these schools you might enhance your marketability to a Umass or UNebraska when you apply to a PhD program. If you want a shot at UT or Stanford you will have to get your GREs up a lot. Is that fair? Probably not but its the truth.

My POI at Wisconsin, Nebraska and Rice have funding but my POIs at VT and UMass don't. In all honesty how common is it to get rejected just based on GREs. I mixed things about this. Also idoci, I highly doubt I have a learning disability, you can look at my stats on the first page of this topic I just suck at standardize tests. I got a 4 on the writing which is decent I just bombed the verbal and math section

I think that sounds nice.... but I have heard from so many people that it's not a good idea to email POI's unless you are already familiar with them. I am just very unsure of what to do.

If you haven't emailed them at all before that is all the more reason to do it now. At some schools POIs get a small pool of applicants (say 3-4) from their adcom to choose from. If they have never heard of you they might not consider you, even though the adcom thinks you are suitable. This is especially true if they have spoken extensively with other applicants. I wouldnt constantly be bugging them but one email introducing yourself won't hurt. Also if a POI does get upset over the sending of one polite short email, do you really want to work with them?

coulmbia09

As I said GRE does two things: it thins the heard when there are large applicant pools, and it is a standardized way to measure applicants(GPA varies by school and classes taken etc).

At some schools it doen't matter much but at most schools they provide a cutoff of around 300. Certainly I think there are schools out there you can get into but not Stanford...Umass and Nebraska are probably reach schools but your application will at least get a chance.

I guess I am just curious why you applied to schools like Stanford and Wisconsin. I know myself I would have zero chance at Stanford and very little chance at Wisconsin so I applied to schools I had a better shot at (and it still didnt a 100% work out). Maybe my GREs would get me looked at by the Stanford adcom but in the end it wouldnt be enough, my GPA is good but not great and my research experience is just ok. You have great GPA, and Research experience but your GRE is poor. I guess my point is lower your standards a bit, you can do good work at less prestigous schools.

coulmbia09

As I said GRE does two things: it thins the heard when there are large applicant pools, and it is a standardized way to measure applicants(GPA varies by school and classes taken etc).

At some schools it doen't matter much but at most schools they provide a cutoff of around 300. Certainly I think there are schools out there you can get into but not Stanford...Umass and Nebraska are probably reach schools but your application will at least get a chance.

I guess I am just curious why you applied to schools like Stanford and Wisconsin. I know myself I would have zero chance at Stanford and very little chance at Wisconsin so I applied to schools I had a better shot at (and it still didnt a 100% work out). Maybe my GREs would get me looked at by the Stanford adcom but in the end it wouldnt be enough, my GPA is good but not great and my research experience is just ok. You have great GPA, and Research experience but your GRE is poor. I guess my point is lower your standards a bit, you can do good work at less prestigous schools.

My advisor told me to. I have a very strong application besides my GRE score. 3.8 GPA with two science majors and a minor from one of the top geology programs in the country along with a senior thesis. It really makes me sick that the GRE took all of this away and yes I understand that these schools have a lot of applicants but they should not have a cutoff for the GRE the ETS even says so on their website. And I know how this sounds but I really shouldn't have to lower my standards because of one part of the application. I mean I said this multiple times but o did horrible on the ACT and still did very well in college. Edited by columbia09

That is very disheartening to hear that you believe we most likely did not get in or were wait listed by now. I am holding out hope.

I know that 2 of my schools have a history of not sending out acceptances until this week or next.... so I am not soooo worried about those. But a little worried. Ok, I'm beside myself. 

coulmbia09

Plus I was even told by people on this forum that I should still apply to these programs regardless of GRE scores. I even suggested that I just apply to the less competitive programs like Nebraska but they told me that would be unwise.

columbia09

I see your point and yes your GPA and Research etc seems excellent. But at Stanford they probably have 50 other applicants with equally stellar GPA/Research experience. The only difference is most of them likely have much higher GRE scores. So who do they choose?

I don't know you or how good a researcher you are. You may have stellar potential and it may be unfair that one test has such a big sway especially considering the cost of applications (everyone should get a full look) but it is the reality of things. My advice, and then I will shut up...apply to some true safety schools...go there pump out an excellent paper or two and then apply to a PhD program at a more prestigious school.

I apologize if this seems like I am giving you a hard time, I do not mean to do that. I also don't have a whole lot of "inside info" but I am a bit older then most on here and I am just trying to give you the shot of reality most people don't have in their early twenties.

You most likely will be succesful in whatever you do, based on your profile you have tremendous drive. In the long run I think you will find you dont need Stanford or whatever "elite" school to be succesful.

With that I will shutup about it unless you ask. Honestly I wish you the best. Sometimes life makes us do things the hard way...which sucks, but a lot of times it makes us better for it in the end.

If you haven't emailed them at all before that is all the more reason to do it now. At some schools POIs get a small pool of applicants (say 3-4) from their adcom to choose from. If they have never heard of you they might not consider you, even though the adcom thinks you are suitable. This is especially true if they have spoken extensively with other applicants. I wouldnt constantly be bugging them but one email introducing yourself won't hurt. Also if a POI does get upset over the sending of one polite short email, do you really want to work with them?

Also... I have talked with all of my POI's well before this point. However, I meant familiar... as in, I am familiar with my advisor and feel comfortable shooting him an email anytime. I do not regard his opinion of me as anything else than good. My POI's, they don't know me. I don't feel overly comfortable shooting them a casual email. 

Also... I have talked with all of my POI's well before this point. However, I meant familiar... as in, I am familiar with my advisor and feel comfortable shooting him an email anytime. I do not regard his opinion of me as anything else than good. My POI's, they don't know me. I don't feel overly comfortable shooting them a casual email. 

Have you emailed them at all yet? If you haven't do it! This advice was given to me by a graduate student at my school and I really think it is the single best piece of advice I have gotten about the whole application process. Obviously now it is too late to "build a relationship" over email with your POI but at least introduce yourself. It can (and probably should) be formal if this is your first time contacting them but I would definetly do it. Think of it from their perspective; they have two good candidates, one they have spoken to over email the other they have never talked to...who do you think you would take?

columbia09

I see your point and yes your GPA and Research etc seems excellent. But at Stanford they probably have 50 other applicants with equally stellar GPA/Research experience. The only difference is most of them likely have much higher GRE scores. So who do they choose?

I don't know you or how good a researcher you are. You may have stellar potential and it may be unfair that one test has such a big sway especially considering the cost of applications (everyone should get a full look) but it is the reality of things. My advice, and then I will shut up...apply to some true safety schools...go there pump out an excellent paper or two and then apply to a PhD program at a more prestigious school.

I apologize if this seems like I am giving you a hard time, I do not mean to do that. I also don't have a whole lot of "inside info" but I am a bit older then most on here and I am just trying to give you the shot of reality most people don't have in their early twenties.

You most likely will be succesful in whatever you do, based on your profile you have tremendous drive. In the long run I think you will find you dont need Stanford or whatever "elite" school to be succesful.

With that I will shutup about it unless you ask. Honestly I wish you the best. Sometimes life makes us do things the hard way...which sucks, but a lot of times it makes us better for it in the end.

Yes I understand that but I really thought I had a unique application. Aside from everything I just said, my POIs from Wisconsin and A&M were former students of my current thesis advisor. The problem at A&M was that she couldn't take on any new students so I had to mention I wanted to work with someone else as well. She's going to look into what the other professor had in mind for me. Also I'm not really interested in a PhD I just really want a masters. I'll shut up too me ******** about the GRE isn't going to get me in anywhere but I have to say it feels good letting everything out

Have you emailed them at all yet? If you haven't do it! This advice was given to me by a graduate student at my school and I really think it is the single best piece of advice I have gotten about the whole application process. Obviously now it is too late to "build a relationship" over email with your POI but at least introduce yourself. It can (and probably should) be formal if this is your first time contacting them but I would definetly do it. Think of it from their perspective; they have two good candidates, one they have spoken to over email the other they have never talked to...who do you think you would take?

When I said... I have talked to all of them...  I meant by email. I emailed all of them, some extensively. But I don't feel it is beneficial for me to bother them now. I have connected with some on linkedin, but that's about as much as I am going to do. 

Yes I understand that but I really thought I had a unique application. Aside from everything I just said, my POIs from Wisconsin and A&M were former students of my current thesis advisor. The problem at A&M was that she couldn't take on any new students so I had to mention I wanted to work with someone else as well. She's going to look into what the other professor had in mind for me. Also I'm not really interested in a PhD I just really want a masters. I'll shut up too me ******** about the GRE isn't going to get me in anywhere but I have to say it feels good letting everything out

Out of curiosity, how much research experience do you have (aside from your senior thesis)?

columbia09

I won't get into my life story but because of some issues in my life (some under my control others not) I had some humbling jobs over the last few years. I also had to go to community college and start from scratch before I could get admitted to the local state school. It was very hard but I think I am in a better position because I had to work hard and humble myself. Like I said I think you will do well in life but your success might not necessarily come by taking the exact route you want to take.

I hope you get in where you want but if you don't just keep working hard and eventually things will work out...unfortunately it might not happen on the exact schedule you want it to.

When I said... I have talked to all of them...  I meant by email. I emailed all of them, some extensively. But I don't feel it is beneficial for me to bother them now. I have connected with some on linkedin, but that's about as much as I am going to do. 

Ok I think I misunderstood then. Well I will let you judge that. All I can say though is Professors aren't super humans. They are normal everyday people with extensive educations. Obviously at some point the emails can be excessive, but a message every couple of weeks I don't think is too much.

All this talk about "if you haven't heard back from anywhere, then you're probably waitlisted/rejected" is complete BS. I didn't get my first acceptance last year until mid-March and got my last one in mid-April. And even though the school is currently attend has a reputation for sending out decisions later than normal, there were other schools where I did not get my acceptance letter until much later than expected (thought I was rejected, honestly). Schools take quite a bit of time not only to sift through applicants, but also to hear back from their best applicants.

Give it some time and try not to fret too much.

I won't get into my life story but because of some issues in my life (some under my control others not) I had some humbling jobs over the last few years. I also had to go to community college and start from scratch before I could get admitted to the local state school. It was very hard but I think I am in a better position because I had to work hard and humble myself. Like I said I think you will do well in life but your success might not necessarily come by taking the exact route you want to take.

Not that this matters, but I had to remind myself that I didn't write that.  I actually did the exact same thing.  It's really strange to start at a program where the majority of students are straight out of undergrad.  It gives you a really unique perspective and I've found that I have a completely different attitude than most people. 

Ok I think I misunderstood then. Well I will let you judge that. All I can say though is Professors aren't super humans. They are normal everyday people with extensive educations. Obviously at some point the emails can be excessive, but a message every couple of weeks I don't think is too much.

LOL.... my mother is a professor... if anyone knows they aren't super humans its me. I helped her edit her own editorial the other day... and all she could do was look exasperated and mumble "I can't believe my undergraduate daughter is editing my editorial."

It was kinda funny

All this talk about "if you haven't heard back from anywhere, then you're probably waitlisted/rejected" is complete BS. I didn't get my first acceptance last year until mid-March and got my last one in mid-April. And even though the school is currently attend has a reputation for sending out decisions later than normal, there were other schools where I did not get my acceptance letter until much later than expected (thought I was rejected, honestly). Schools take quite a bit of time not only to sift through applicants, but also to hear back from their best applicants.

Give it some time and try not to fret too much.

I know that was the tone of my message but I did mention that I know at least my school hasn't met yet. Also you most likely were waitlisted at the one that accepted you in mid April. Either way it sounds like the top tier schools that a lot of people here have applied to made their first round of offers already. But I ll admit I do talk out of my rear end sometimes.

Out of curiosity, how much research experience do you have (aside from your senior thesis)?

2 yrs I was also a lab tech for a little bit as well. I started doing volunteer research my sophomore year in biology then it moved to geology and eventually my thesis. As undergrads how much research are we expected to actually have ?

Edited by columbia09

Does anyone remember when we were in hs and we were told that getting into a competitive school as a grad student is easier then getting into as an undergrad. Anybody think that still holds up ? Because I don't

I went to high school online.  I've been in this process alone. Applying to hard science is so much different than my mother's social science experience. And my father never went to college, so...That's why I like it here.