2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

So does this mean, for me specifically, that they will await to see what the first tier candidates do with their responses before sending out further acceptances/declines?

I have no idea. Maybe they just send it out to everyone, but the fact that they are working after April 15th means either its not a required recruitment day or that there is no funding being considered for you at this time. 

There is , of course, a way to definitively find out. 

Hello everyone! I also have some good news of my own! Accepted to Stanford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D The prospective student visit was just this past couple of days (2/23-24), and I met with my POI today (2/27) and was given my official letter of admission dated 2/23.

Congrats to all who have had good news! And for everyone else, hang tight!

Hello everyone! I also have some good news of my own! Accepted to Stanford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D The prospective student visit was just this past couple of days (2/23-24), and I met with my POI today (2/27) and was given my official letter of admission dated 2/23.

Congrats to all who have had good news! And for everyone else, hang tight!

Congrats!

I just got off the phone with my POI at Nebraska, he said that there's a place for me there (he admitted me) but he's unsure about funding. Is it worth going without funding ?

Also is this common to be admitted without knowing about funding ?

CGS isn't legally binding... I'm not sure why everyone assumes that. 

So what can I do in this situation? I'd like to see if I get offers from UMass and CU Boulder but I don't want to lose out on Vegas. Could I ask for an extension on my decision? 

So what can I do in this situation? I'd like to see if I get offers from UMass and CU Boulder but I don't want to lose out on Vegas. Could I ask for an extension on my decision?

You still have several weeks before this even becomes an issue. I know that CU Boulder will notify soon unless you are on a wait list. If you don't hear by March 13, you could call both schools and inquire. If you do end up on a wait list and want to wait to see if you get off the list, then you could ask for an extension from UNLV. Edited by geographyrocks

It really just depends. Some schools will admit without funding, but many others will just deny folks that don't have funding.

I wouldn't take it. You shouldnt go to a grad school if there is no funding. I got 3 of those offers last year and didn't end up attending because the financial burden would be huge. Just wait it out, or apply next year. I had a GRE score around 305 last year and ran into trouble like you did with funding(but i had similar stats otherwise). I've improved it by alot this cycle and have already have received "hints" at all 3 institutions that it will be good news..... Good advice is to apply to lesser tier universities unless you have just out of this world stats. I applied to all state schools this year, and in the end, the degree means just as much to industry as the big name university degrees. 

Edited by watsondoodle

I think its probably close to 50/50 in geology for masters degrees.

Especially with the downturn on jobs, I would not go, unless I could pay for it out of pocket without owing. Even then, I would have reservations. Paying out of pocket probably means taking out or paying 50k including living expenses. I think it would be rather tough to have a job and do a Thesis based masters.

Edited by GeoDUDE!