2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

Thanks for your input. I believe one of my POIs previous students had to pay for a semester but she's now fully funded so there's a lot to consider here. I'm going to talk to my advisor about support but at least at this point I can have some type of closer knowing I was admitted to one place at least. I'm hopeful though that they will give me some sort of funding

Edited by columbia09

Thanks for your input. I believe one of my POIs previous students had to pay for a semester but she's now fully funded so there's a lot to consider here. I'm going to talk to my advisor about support but at least at this point I can have some type of closer knowing I was admitted to one place at least. I'm hopeful though that they will give me some sort of funding

Good! Finally one selection. I know a friend (not in geosciences but in chemical engg) who was admitted without funding for the first semester, but it has been a smooth ride since then. 

I have one week less now, to wait out!

I just hope I don't get all my rejections on the same day  :(

Good! Finally one selection. I know a friend (not in geosciences but in chemical engg) who was admitted without funding for the first semester, but it has been a smooth ride since then. 

I have one week less now, to wait out!

I just hope I don't get all my rejections on the same day  :(

Have you tried to contact your POI at Rice ? 

From what I've seen, most professors are literally some of the most busy individuals. Some may know better,

I understand this but considering the money I had to pay for the UT application I would think that they could find a time to at least get back to me. Especially at the beginning of this process because I don't even know if he has funding or not 

I understand this but considering the money I had to pay for the UT application I would think that they could find a time to at least get back to me. Especially at the beginning of this process because I don't even know if he has funding or not

I think the grad application process is extremely fluid. For instance, I had long conversations with my PoI at Texas several months before the application deadline. He told me on multiple occasions to apply, and that he looked forward to reviewing my materials. A month ago he informed me he was no longer accepting students as he is on the cusp of retirement.

This may not be the best anecdote, but I'm not so sure the professors are entirely sure of a) how many students they can take or B) their funding situation.

Others know better than I on this thread...

I think the grad application process is extremely fluid. For instance, I had long conversations with my PoI at Texas several months before the application deadline. He told me on multiple occasions to apply, and that he looked forward to reviewing my materials. A month ago he informed me he was no longer accepting students as he is on the cusp of retirement.

This may not be the best anecdote, but I'm not so sure the professors are entirely sure of a) how many students they can take or B) their funding situation.

Who is your POI at UT?

happened to me at least once.  B)

Oh I hate that, that's what happened to me at Texas A&M. Former student of my thesis advisor wanted me to apply and to also contact other faculty members since she couldn't take on new students. Contacted someone else, no response, found out a couple of days ago he can't take on new students either. 

Edited by columbia09

A month ago he informed me he was no longer accepting students as he is on the cusp of retirement.

At least he has the courtesy of telling you.... a few people at my masters institution arrived to work with their professor only to find out that he had retired and was halfway across the country!

At least he has the courtesy of telling you.... a few people at my masters institution arrived to work with their professor only to find out that he had retired and was halfway across the country!

Right! He was nothing short of courteous. My main point was I personally think professors do not know much more than we do about their future ability to fund and take on students..